Yorkshire 4ncl Teams.

Venues, fixtures, teams and related matters.
Anthony Ibbitson

Yorkshire 4ncl Teams.

Post by Anthony Ibbitson » Sun Feb 05, 2023 8:02 am

Are there any Yorkshire Teams in the 4ncl who would take an improving chess player of around the 1750 rating level? I'm looking to start playing in the 4ncl again, even if it's not until next season, but I'm not sure if there are any local teams anymore.
“Chess is a war over the board. The object is to crush the opponent’s mind." - Bobby Fischer.

LawrenceCooper

Re: Yorkshire 4ncl Teams.

Post by LawrenceCooper » Sun Feb 05, 2023 10:31 am

Anthony Ibbitson wrote:
Sun Feb 05, 2023 8:02 am
Are there any Yorkshire Teams in the 4ncl who would take an improving chess player of around the 1750 rating level? I'm looking to start playing in the 4ncl again, even if it's not until next season, but I'm not sure if there are any local teams anymore.
It's worth advertising here: https://www.4ncl.co.uk/wanted.htm

Anthony Ibbitson

Post by Anthony Ibbitson » Sun Feb 05, 2023 10:37 am

LawrenceCooper wrote:
Sun Feb 05, 2023 10:31 am
Anthony Ibbitson wrote:
Sun Feb 05, 2023 8:02 am
It's worth advertising here: https://www.4ncl.co.uk/wanted.htm
Hi Loz, thanks for that! The other option is trying to set-up my own team next year but that's an option that I'd rather not have to explore.
“Chess is a war over the board. The object is to crush the opponent’s mind." - Bobby Fischer.

MartinCarpenter

Post by MartinCarpenter » Sun Feb 05, 2023 1:13 pm

Essentially, and sadly, likely no. Bradford's many teams, Jorvik etc vanished when 3N did. White Rose 3 are local but obviously far too strong. Even if they found a captain/organiser for WR4 it'd be a strong team.

Jorvik were York based and seem firmly dead, no sure why Bradford have died entirely as you'd think they had enough keen/strong players to keep something alive. Maybe they'll come back at some point, you'd be as likely to know as me :)

I suspect that you might find that the travel is currently just too far to get many players from Yorkshire interested. Maybe find a friend or two to share travel and a friendly non local team?

The Yorkshire league and maybe the county stuff now that we've got Manchester are at least pretty good alternatives.

MartinCarpenter

Post by MartinCarpenter » Mon Feb 06, 2023 12:22 pm

Several of the Rose Forgrove regulars played for Bradford for a long time, they should probably be able to tell you what happened/if there's any chance of it coming back.