Your 4NCL games

Venues, fixtures, teams and related matters.
Alex Holowczak

Re: Your 4NCL games

Post by Alex Holowczak » Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:56 pm

Sean Hewitt wrote:Solution emailed to you Alex
Yes, that is the solution that's going to be tried, along with the files being transferred to multiple memory sticks, belonging to different people, so that they can attempt the transfer.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:17 am

Alex Holowczak wrote:A second attempt today revealed the problem; the place the files were being sent from has set up its firewall such that you can't e-mail files
'

Straightforward hack.

1. Assume you are using pgn format. This is plain text so you open it in a text reader ( Notepad or Wordpad under Windows)
2. Copy the entire text of header and game body.
3. Paste into email (might need more than one if emails are size restricted)
4. Send email - it's long but no attachments will be flagged.
5. On receipt, create empty file in text reader
6. Copy content of email to text reader
7. Save with content as <something>.pgn

No memory sticks need to be harmed as part of this process.

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:45 am

Roger, your hack has already been suggested to the person who needs to get the games to me, and this is just one of the procedures that is going to be attempted today.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:23 pm

Has anyone noticed that the division 2 file of pgn games at http://www.4ncl.co.uk is incomplete?

Division 1 contains 16 teams playing 11 matches over 8 boards giving a total number of games of 704 and the pgn file for division 1 has exactly that game count.

Division 2 by contrast only has 672 games, so there are 32 games (4 matches) missing. One of them is Wessex 1 v Kings Head from Round 7. At a guess, it's the division 2b round 7 file which has escaped from the merge.

(edit) After merging that file and checking for duplicates, that is indeed the case.

On the subject of missing games, should we ever suppose that the final 7 rounds of the 2010 Major Open will ever be available as a download?
Last edited by Roger de Coverly on Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

IM Jack Rudd

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:08 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote: On the subject of missing games, should we ever suppose that the final 7 rounds of the 2010 Major Open will ever be available as a download?
I've got them on my other computer; I should be able to make them available soon.