Searching for a registered player?

Venues, fixtures, teams and related matters.
John Upham

Searching for a registered player?

Post by John Upham » Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:03 am

Is there a facility to search for a player to determine if they are currently registered for any team in 4NCL?

Currently, all I can do is go through each teams registration list one at a time scanning the list for that player.

I could ask NB of course but I'd rather be independent.
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

Christopher Kreuzer

Re: Searching for a registered player?

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:14 am

John Upham wrote:Is there a facility to search for a player to determine if they are currently registered for any team in 4NCL?

Currently, all I can do is go through each teams registration list one at a time scanning the list for that player.

If you are in contact with the player in question, you could presumably ask them. Though it sounds more like you are looking for unregistered players to contact. There is a webpage somewhere (or there was) with players looking for teams. Would that help? What might also help is having updates to the list of registered players published so you can maintain such a database yourself from cumulative additions (rather than having silent updates published so you need to go back to each list again). Better still would be one single list with all registered players, rather than separate lists. I'm sure I saw such a list somewhere, but maybe I was imagining it.

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:19 am

Christopher Kreuzer wrote: Though it sounds more like you are looking for unregistered players to contact.
Correct!

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:25 am

John Upham wrote:
Christopher Kreuzer wrote: Though it sounds more like you are looking for unregistered players to contact.
Correct!
Have you tried registered players who haven't played any games this season?

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:32 am

Christopher Kreuzer wrote:
John Upham wrote:
Correct!
Have you tried registered players who haven't played any games this season?
Very funny! You might like to think how your question above is different from the one I originally asked.

If you find a difference then please let me know!

Matthew Turner

Post by Matthew Turner » Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:33 am

John
You can try checking the ECF grading database. Most 4NCL registered players will show their 4NCL club in their grading information.

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:39 am

Matthew Turner wrote:John
You can try checking the ECF grading database. Most 4NCL registered players will show their 4NCL club in their grading information.
Matthew, thanks and that is true except that a number of players have started playing 4NCL this season and their 4NCL club will not appear until the annual update in August.

It cannot be too much to ask for 4NCL to provide a search facility?

All I am attempting to do is to avoid defaults and having to withdraw a team from the final weekend.

Alan Walton

Post by Alan Walton » Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:41 am

On the registrations page there are excel and word documents which have all registrations, so you can easily search these for players registered, though you have to do more to check if said players have actually played.

If a player wishes to transfer from one team to another, and said player hasn't played, this has to be done prior to 9 days before the weekend (21st April)

Sean Hewitt

Post by Sean Hewitt » Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:47 am

John Upham wrote:Is there a facility to search for a player to determine if they are currently registered for any team in 4NCL?

There is no search facility but there is (now) a complete excel spreadsheet of current registrations here http://www.4ncl.co.uk/download/4NCL-reg.xls. That should give you all that you need.

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:48 am

Alan Walton wrote:On the registrations page there are excel and word documents which have all registrations, so you can easily search these for players registered, though you have to do more to check if said players have actually played.
Thanks for that Alan. I should have gone to Spec Savers!

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:56 am

John Upham wrote:
Christopher Kreuzer wrote: Have you tried registered players who haven't played any games this season?
Very funny! You might like to think how your question above is different from the one I originally asked.

If you find a difference then please let me know!
I meant players registered for a team but who (for whatever reason) have not yet played for that team in the current season. They come under the heading of people who might be willing to play in the 4NCL, but may be not selected for the final weekend, and (you would have to double-check the rules) may be able to switch to another team for the final weekend. There is a difference between searching the list of registered players for those who haven't played yet (and trying to persuade them to turn out for you), and searching the list of registered players to see if random possibly unregistered players are registered for another team so no point contacting them. It wasn't clear from what you posted which of these you were doing (probably both, I'd say). Best of luck finding players.

LozCooper

Post by LozCooper » Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:05 am

I have asked various 4NCL officials for a spredsheet of results to help me with my reports (and also highlight which players have yet to play) but my understanding is that they no longer maintain one although I suspect one will be available at the end of the season when games are sent for rating (no use to you I realise). It would be very helpful to team captains and I suspect there must be pairing programs that would be able to produce such a document without the need for the information to be inputted maunally.

I am conscious that I may have missed players on 8/8 or with huge rating performances but without checking every team's round by round results it's impossible to keep track of everyone :oops: