4NCL Northern League....steps forward

Venues, fixtures, teams and related matters.
David Pardoe

Re: 4NCL Northern League....steps forward

Post by David Pardoe » Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:30 am

Those looking for the comments on digital clocks..they`ve been moved to a separate thread under `general chat`. There are other threads also covering that topic I believe.
But, talking of `steps forward` for the northern league.....Mike Truran has announced in the `Forthcoming Congresses` section, that entry fees for Northern teams will be reduced by £50.....cant be bad.

PS Carl....please tell us when you move stuff....
thanks....
BRING BACK THE BCF

Sean Hewitt

Post by Sean Hewitt » Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:28 am

David Grobler wrote:
Sean Hewitt wrote:
David Grobler wrote:And....did I read correctly...?....its only £100 to enter a team in the Northern League?....how good is that !
Very appealing! :D
will e2e4 be entering a team Sean? :)
We'll be entering 4 or 5 teams in the 4NCL. We might be entering one team in the North but not yet decided.

Mike Truran

Post by Mike Truran » Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:49 am

Thanks Sean. Good news (potentially).

Andrew Wainwright

Post by Andrew Wainwright » Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:39 pm

Sean Hewitt wrote:We'll be entering 4 or 5 teams in the 4NCL. We might be entering one team in the North but not yet decided.
Sean - If you are able to enter a team in the northern league and have a good captain in mind to run them then please let me know if you need help with players. I know plenty of people wanting to play but its having the captains to run the teams that is the problem.

Paul Robson

Post by Paul Robson » Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:32 pm

There will very likely be a team from the North East entering the Northern league. We have Durham and Northumberland chess associations backing. Sponsors love the £50 discount Mike !

Just have to think of a team name ! any ideas?

Oh and if anyone wishes to register with us please let Robin Horner,Durham, John Wheeler Northumberland or myself know.
Last edited by Paul Robson on Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:39 pm

Paul Robson wrote:Just have to think of a team name ! any ideas?
How about ... "We couldn't think of a name"? :wink:

Sean Hewitt

Post by Sean Hewitt » Fri Jun 24, 2011 2:38 pm

Andrew Wainwright wrote:
Sean Hewitt wrote:We'll be entering 4 or 5 teams in the 4NCL. We might be entering one team in the North but not yet decided.
Sean - If you are able to enter a team in the northern league and have a good captain in mind to run them then please let me know if you need help with players.
I am the team principal. We don't have separate captains for each team as we've never found the need.

David Pardoe

Post by David Pardoe » Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:18 pm

Andrew Wainwright wrote:
Sean - If you are able to enter a team in the northern league and have a good captain in mind to run them then please let me know if you need help with players. I know plenty of people wanting to play but its having the captains to run the teams that is the problem.
Andrew,
Finding captains is always a tad tricky, but I think the main issue might be the financing arrangements..ie, team costs & allocation, etc. Maybe if someone could offer to explain how things work as regards player contributions, etc to cover charges and running costs. I guess anyone interested could just contact a current captain to see how things are run by other northern teams.
Apart from that its all fairly straightforward...particularly if you have a committed group of 10 or 12 players to choose from.
I know that Manchester are planning to ask players for a deposit to cover extra costs that might arise from late withdrawals, etc...penalty fees.

As for a name for the new North East team....how about `Northern Lights`...., but I`m sure others can think of something snappier. Toon Army, Tynesiders, Prince Bishops.....
BRING BACK THE BCF

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:31 pm

David Pardoe wrote: Maybe if someone could offer to explain how things work as regards player contributions, etc to cover charges and running costs.
Every team might use a different approach, but presuming that you expect individual players to settle their own bills for travel, food and accommodation, then you're just left with entry fees and other costs.

So you first establish how much money you want to raise.

You then use either a membership approach or a Game Fee style approach or a combination.

So under a membership approach you take the total you want to raise and divide by the number of players in your squad.
Under a Game Fee style approach you take the money you want to raise and divide by 66 (being 6 boards over 11 rounds). You then ask for this per player per game. You could modify the approach by dividing by 30 ( 5 weekends for 6 people). This gives you a cost per weekend ( assuming you don't worry about the final weekend having 3 rounds).

David Pardoe

Post by David Pardoe » Sat Jun 25, 2011 6:40 pm

[/quote]
We'll be entering 4 or 5 teams in the 4NCL. We might be entering one team in the North but not yet decided.[/quote]

Hey, Sean...
Hoz about being really bold and entering two teams. That way you might give yourselves a better chance of promotion to Div 2..!! :D :D

PS Good comments Roger regarding team costs...hopefully any interested prospective captains will find these useful....what caught Manchester out was the incurring of penalty costs, due to unexpected player withdrawals.
BRING BACK THE BCF

Sean Hewitt

Post by Sean Hewitt » Sun Jun 26, 2011 10:08 am

David Pardoe wrote:Hey, Sean...
Hoz about being really bold and entering two teams. That way you might give yourselves a better chance of promotion to Div 2..!! :D :D
Thankfully that benefit has been diminished by having two merged weekends next season. In any case, we would rather achieve promotion on merit. :lol:

David Pardoe

Post by David Pardoe » Sun Jun 26, 2011 11:48 am

Sean, you`re fantasising again.. :D :D
However, I see that Andrew Wainwright says he has loads of potential players interested in playing in the 4NCL Northern league......they just need a captain.
Whats the possibility of you having a chat with him, and maybe taking some under the e2e4 group. Maybe, once they are up & running, a captain could be chosen and mentored.....
However, I`d hope that players would be a bit more ambitious/adventurous and take up the task in there local areas. Plenty of advice around (contact captains)..as regards running such teams now that the league has got started, I`d have thought.
BRING BACK THE BCF

Sean Hewitt

Post by Sean Hewitt » Sun Jun 26, 2011 12:05 pm

David Pardoe wrote:I see that Andrew Wainwright says he has loads of potential players interested in playing in the 4NCL Northern league......they just need a captain.
Whats the possibility of you having a chat with him, and maybe taking some under the e2e4 group.
Why don't you make contact with him? e2e4 haven't defaulted a board in the 4NCL despite running four teams so it would seem a little unfair to hoover up players when there are other teams defaulting boards on a regular basis who would benefit from accessing these players.

David Pardoe

Post by David Pardoe » Sun Jun 26, 2011 12:24 pm

Sean, I was thinking more in terms of setting up some additional teams. I guess Andrew has mainly Yorks based players in mind....so a couple of new teams from that area would be very good. So would new entries from chess `hot spots` like Lancs be very welcome.....
Hopefully some volunteers can be found to take these groups forward. A few new teams would certainly give the northern league a welcome boost....
As regards defaults, I think only Manchester defaulted any boards last year, which was disappointing given the quality of competition on offer. Hopefully that will improve next year.
BRING BACK THE BCF

Mike Truran

Post by Mike Truran » Sun Jun 26, 2011 1:40 pm

David, I suspect one of the subtexts underlying Sean's post is that he already does huge amounts for chess, and that it would be good if others stepped up to the plate to help with 4NCL organisation in the north.

Sean - feel free to correct me if I have misrepresented you.