4NCL Northern League....steps forward

Venues, fixtures, teams and related matters.
David Pardoe

4NCL Northern League....steps forward

Post by David Pardoe » Fri May 27, 2011 10:13 am

After a reasonably successful debut season, I guess its time to reflect on some very good chess weekend matches at good quality venues, which offered excellent playing conditions. Clearly this proved an inspiration to at least 2 of our top sides, Spirit of Atticus & Bradford `A`, who convincingly won promotion to Division 2 at the Finals w/e at Hinckley recently.
The combined `Division 3` matches, involving about 30 teams, over the final three days proved terrific chess Fayre....with a huge Indian wedding going on to add spice to the occasion. Overall, I`d guess that hundreds of players turned out for the combined Div`s 1, 2 & 3 matches to decide the titles...... including many top titled players in the Division one `Super League`
Div 3 caters for a wide range of players...circa 225 down to about 140 standard....
So whats next....where do we go from here...
Some additional entries from other northern teams would be very welcome & hopefully, now that people have had chance to see whats on offer, they will be encouraged to add there support. Chess needs such top quality events, particularly in our northern region.
I was talking about this at a recent county match, played at Heywood in Greater Manchester.....
Vibes were that Lancs sides had perhaps been discouraged from entering by `travel`. This is always a tricky issue, but our current venues at Crewe, Harrogate, & Darlington/Bishop Auckland are quite well placed for our northern membership.
I`ve said previously that entries from other areas would be very welcome.....Derbyshire, Notts, Lincolnshire, Humberside, Teeside, Newcastle, Sheffield/Huddersfield/Yorks.., Preston/Lancs are amongst the many northern areas where chess is actively played. Hopefully they will add there support.
I believe there is interest from the north east to enter at least one team next season.
Regarding future venues, it might be that venues such as Bolton (White`s De Vere`s at the Reebok Stadium perhaps..!!), & Sheffield could provide attractive options. And if numbers merit, I could envisage possibly having a northern Finals w/e at say Sheffield.......at some stage.
So, I`d encourage our northern chess centres to give this some thought, and consider entering more teams next season. Its for teams of 6-players, played over 4 or 5 w/e`s per season, at top quality venues...and games are FIDE rated...some excellent `social/camaradery` to be had, as can be seen from John Carletons interesting reports (and pictures) on this years matches... Well worth a read on the 4NCL website.
Could your local area raise a team.....find out more..see the pictures and reports/tables. Why not contact one of the captains.
AGM season is upon us, so its a good opportunity to put this on the agenda for clubs, leagues & other chess bodies...
Last edited by David Pardoe on Mon May 30, 2011 8:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
BRING BACK THE BCF

Mike Truran

Re: 4NCL Northern League....steps forward

Post by Mike Truran » Fri May 27, 2011 12:10 pm

Thanks for the advert David! Anything you and your colleagues can do to get more teams in to the Northern League/Division 3 North for next season will be greatly appreciated.

David Pardoe

Post by David Pardoe » Mon May 30, 2011 11:51 am

Yes, a call to arms in the rich northern chess heartlands.......
Look at Yorks, a vast chess empire.....here`s some stats I came across whilst browsing this forum.....see below

How many of these leagues, including those in Lancs and others across the north could muster pretty descent teams to grace the 4NCL Northern League..... I believe the North East has shown interest in entering....hopefully Teeside & Durham will also give it there consideration....
Feedback & comments welcome & more information can be found on the 4NCL website....or contact any of the team captains. Read John Careltons match reports to get a flavour of things....

I quote...
The ECF graded all those events as well, and my figures for number of players are quite different. They are unlikely to be wrong, since the raw data came from the Yorkshire grader. I have inserted my figures below, together with the number of ECF Members.

Sheffield League - 284 players ........ 388 players, 44 DMs
Bradford League - 200 players ........ 326 players, 57 DMs
Leeds League - 156 .................... 208 players, 144 DMs
Hull League - 118 ....................... 173 players, 7 DMs
York League - 108 ...................... 133 players, 32 DMs
Huddersfield League - 108 ............ 138 players, 19 DMs
Calderdale League - 91 ................ 137 players, 12 DMs
Doncaster League - 66 .................. 60 players, 12 DMs
Harrogate League - 44 .................. 36 players, 10 DMs
Humber League - 40 ..................... 31 players, 1 DM

I say the ECF graded those events. .......

All these leagues will have gone into the Yorkshire grading in their entirety.

Richard Haddrell
Grading Administrator, ECF

I hope our Northern brethern can rise to this and give there support to the new 4NCL Northern League......
BRING BACK THE BCF

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Sat Jun 18, 2011 6:10 pm

Bob

Well it has been discussed by email extensively between the Northern League captains and Mike Truran

I think it is sensible if we don't get more teams entering

I'm happier to drop the 2nd Crewe weekend rather than Harrogate or Redworth Hall (both of which involve more travelling for me)

And we get 2 extra matches against the southern softies :lol:
Any postings on here represent my personal views

David Robertson

Post by David Robertson » Sat Jun 18, 2011 9:47 pm

I agree with Bob. I'll not say too much at this point because I've promised Mike Truran a private view on the generality of the matter, but have yet to send it.

However, my thoughts had hitherto focused on a different proposition: namely, that the first (Darlington) weekend was to be replaced by a trip to Hinckley Island. That raises one set of issues. Now I see that the last two weekends are to be run through Hinckley Island, and that raises a whole set more. I was pretty irritated initially; I'm very irritated now. It's a short-sighted cave-in to an opportunistic lobby. Not good

David Grobler

Post by David Grobler » Sun Jun 19, 2011 6:55 pm

well....Id love to play...and Ive tried to generate some interest in Huddersfield and Sheffield without any luck...
I cant understand why there isnt more interest..... :(

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Sun Jun 19, 2011 7:03 pm

David Grobler wrote:well....Id love to play...and Ive tried to generate some interest in Huddersfield and Sheffield without any luck...
David

If you really can't find enough to form a new team, then suggest you join one of the existing ones - I assume Bradford is nearest to you
Any postings on here represent my personal views

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Sun Jun 19, 2011 7:08 pm

David Robertson wrote:. Now I see that the last two weekends are to be run through Hinckley Island, and that raises a whole set more.
Isn't it just a fall back position in case there aren't enough teams to run 8 purely Northern rounds? Presuming that Spirit of Atticus and Bradford play in division 2 in 2011-12, already 2 extra teams are needed. So even if it's 8 teams, play 7 Northern rounds and amalgamate with the other division 3 for round 8. If the venue is Hinckley, the option is present.

David Grobler

Post by David Grobler » Sun Jun 19, 2011 7:11 pm

Mick Norris wrote:
David Grobler wrote:well....Id love to play...and Ive tried to generate some interest in Huddersfield and Sheffield without any luck...
David

If you really can't find enough to form a new team, then suggest you join one of the existing ones - I assume Bradford is nearest to you
Well...if I cant persuade any local club to enter...my plan is to wait for the new grading list to come out (I expect to hit the dizzy heights of 151 :wink: )....and then Ill contact all and sundry begging to be given a slot !

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Sun Jun 19, 2011 8:03 pm

David Grobler wrote: Well...if I cant persuade any local club to enter..
It isn't necessary to be a club, league or county to enter. As long as you can find enough other interested players and someone to run or coordinate it there's your team. Although you can determine the catchment area of most existing 4NCL teams from who plays in them, it's relatively rare for there to be a formal tie to any existing club, league or county.

Mike Truran

Post by Mike Truran » Sun Jun 19, 2011 8:30 pm

Roger is quite right. The 4NCL places no restrictions on what collection of players can play - so a group of friends for example is quite at liberty to enter so long as they can get enough players together. For Div 3 we normally reckon that a pool of around 12 is the minimum needed to have a decent chance of getting through the season without defaults.

David Pardoe

Post by David Pardoe » Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:06 pm

I am interested in the comments regarding drumming up interest and new teams....
This is an event for teams of 6 players, so a 12 player squad as Mike said, should give enough reserve.
What northern players need to grasp is that this is a really good competition, played at some really good venues, offering very reasonable room discounts...and a feast of good chess. Once you`ve got used to those new fangled digital clocks...someone please produce one with an adjustable `move counter`.
Also, to stress that our Northern league caters for quite a wide range of playing strength.. I`d say between 140ish and 225 approx on some top boards, so it presents a great opportunity for many players to enjoy some really good weekend chess.
If we could encourage another few teams to enter, then our league would be more self sustaining, and we could call more shots regarding the venues. I`ve already said it would be good to have a Lancashire venue. But first we need some of the Lancs chess leaders and players to come on board and join the party. The Barcelo at Blackpool might be a good possibility, as a future venue.
Apparently the De Vere`s at Bolton is too busy, so would be hard to get any discounts.....even when Bolton are playing `away`.
For sure, I`d have thought that leagues like the Huddersfield league, which I played in a few years ago, really should be able to produce a good team. And Sheffield is another great northern centre for chess...come and join the party.
I`ve been trying to encourage more take-up via sending out informal notices to some northern congresses...I dont know if any have been posted, or spotted. However, I think some hard copy adverts and posters might help to suppliment publicity, and get the message out to a wider audience, who might not be switched on to the latest `web` communications. Also, a hard copy doc/leaflet that can be taken away and discussed at local clubs, etc, could be a very useful discussion document, maybe supported with a few photos from events. And reference to any of John Carletons match reports from the northern league from last season would give an excellent flavour of how things operate.
See http://www.4ncl.co.uk/reports.htm for more details and click on various `tabs`.

Come on fellow northern players...smell the coffee.... I`d like to see us create of league of perhaps 20 teams that could rival the southern contingent and help put our northern area on the map. Importantly, we really need these good quality events in our area.
BRING BACK THE BCF

David Grobler

Post by David Grobler » Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:34 pm

David Pardoe wrote:I am interested in the comments regarding drumming up interest and new teams....
This is an event for teams of 6 players, so a 12 player squad as Mike said, should give enough reserve.
What northern players need to grasp is that this is a really good competition, played at some really good venues, offering very reasonable room discounts...and a feast of good chess. Once you`ve got used to those new fangled digital clocks...someone please produce one with an adjustable `move counter`.
Also, to stress that our Northern league caters for quite a wide range of playing strength.. I`d say between 140ish and 225 approx on some top boards, so it presents a great opportunity for many players to enjoy some really good weekend chess.
If we could encourage another few teams to enter, then our league would be more self sustaining, and we could call more shots regarding the venues. I`ve already said it would be good to have a Lancashire venue. But first we need some of the Lancs chess leaders and players to come on board and join the party. The Barcelo at Blackpool might be a good possibility, as a future venue.
Apparently the De Vere`s at Bolton is too busy, so would be hard to get any discounts.....even when Bolton are playing `away`.
For sure, I`d have thought that leagues like the Huddersfield league, which I played in a few years ago, really should be able to produce a good team. And Sheffield is another great northern centre for chess...come and join the party.
I`ve been trying to encourage more take-up via sending out informal notices to some northern congresses...I dont know if any have been posted, or spotted. However, I think some hard copy adverts and posters might help to suppliment publicity, and get the message out to a wider audience, who might not be switched on to the latest `web` communications. Also, a hard copy doc/leaflet that can be taken away and discussed at local clubs, etc, could be a very useful discussion document, maybe supported with a few photos from events. And reference to any of John Carletons match reports from the northern league from last season would give an excellent flavour of how things operate.
See http://www.4ncl.co.uk/reports.htm for more details and click on various `tabs`.

Come on fellow northern players...smell the coffee.... I`d like to see us create of league of perhaps 20 teams that could rival the southern contingent and help put our northern area on the map. Importantly, we really need these good quality events in our area.
Couldn't agree more !!
I think what we need is a few willing Team Captains to put themselves forward . And....did I read correctly...?....its only £100 to enter a team in the Northern League?....how good is that !

Sean Hewitt

Post by Sean Hewitt » Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:39 pm

David Grobler wrote:And....did I read correctly...?....its only £100 to enter a team in the Northern League?....how good is that !
Very appealing! :D

David Grobler

Post by David Grobler » Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:15 pm

Sean Hewitt wrote:
David Grobler wrote:And....did I read correctly...?....its only £100 to enter a team in the Northern League?....how good is that !
Very appealing! :D
will e2e4 be entering a team Sean? :)