FA Cup Final Chelsea v Liverpool

Venues, fixtures, teams and related matters.
John Foley

FA Cup Final Chelsea v Liverpool

Post by John Foley » Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:17 pm

Kick-off 5th May 5.15pm gives only three and a quarter hours of chess before the Big Match.
Not even a full time control.
Will there be enough space at the bar?
I predict some early draws.

This reminds me that each year our evening league schedules matches for St Valentines.
Surely it is time to recognise that some chess players may have perennial interests outside chess.

Alex Holowczak

Re: FA Cup Final Chelsea v Liverpool

Post by Alex Holowczak » Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:46 pm

John Foley wrote:Kick-off 5th May 5.15pm gives only three and a quarter hours of chess before the Big Match.
Not even a full time control.
Since when did the FA Cup Final not start at 3pm? :shock:
John Foley wrote:This reminds me that each year our evening league schedules matches for St Valentines.
I'm reminded of an anecdote from North London.

A team captain is trying to raise a team for a league match. He asks player after player, but is struggling. No one is agreeing to play. He becomes exasperated, and after the one player too many declined to play, he asks "Surely you can't be so indebted to your wife that you can't miss Valentine's Day to play in a chess match?!" Then comes the reply "No, not Valentine's Day. Arsenal are playing!" :lol:

John Foley

Post by John Foley » Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:16 pm

Alex Holowczak wrote: Since when did the FA Cup Final not start at 3pm? :shock:
This year - as announced last year.

Alan Burke

Post by Alan Burke » Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:29 pm

John ... I agree that "some chess players may have perennial interests outside chess."

However, some of those interests might not always include football and therefore whichever date is chosen to host a particular congress will often clash with another event which some chess players might also have been keen to watch.

Perhaps the 4NCL could ask the FA to reschedule the Cup Final to avoid their congress ??? (I'm joking before anyone wishes to take issue with that comment.)

Ben Purton

Post by Ben Purton » Sun Apr 29, 2012 12:30 am

2nd best sporting event of the day certainly behind the 2000 Guineas
I love sleep, I need 8 hours a day and about 10 at night - Bill Hicks
I would die happy if I beat Wood Green in the Eastman Cup final - Richmond LL captain.
Hating the Yankees since 2002. Hating the Jets since 2001.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Sun Apr 29, 2012 1:02 am

If you aren't prepared to concentrate 100%, you deserve all the rating points you lose. Against that, at a fixture meeting I have to have a note of a certain club's (European) fixtures.

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:16 am

Roger de Coverly wrote:Against that, at a fixture meeting I have to have a note of a certain club's (European) fixtures.
The Birmingham League has managed to schedule its AGM (June 11th) and fixtures meeting (June 19th) for days on which England play France and Ukraine respectively in Euro 2012. I'd be surprised if the AGM was quorate. I intend to get the fixtures done by phone/e-mail in advance of the meeting. (Although really, I can choose which nationality I am for England-Ukraine match, so either way I'm happy. :lol: )

benedgell

Post by benedgell » Sun Apr 29, 2012 1:06 pm

I remember playing NCL (I think it was last season) and Chelsea were playing against Everton in the FA Cup. Myself and my opponent were going to the bar between moves to watch the match, and when it came to penalties we both watched.