Food

Venues, fixtures, teams and related matters.
Joey Stewart

Food

Post by Joey Stewart » Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:39 pm

My team were unable to get any rooms this weekend, so we are having to stay nearby in hinkley.
I was wondering, does anybody know if you are still allowed to eat at the hotel if you are not a guest or do they not like outsiders?

Secondarily, if it does come to having to go into the actual town, does anbody know any good places to get food, cost is not overly important as long as it is not highly expensive.
Lose one queen and it is a disaster, Lose 1000 queens and it is just a statistic.

Roger de Coverly

Re: Food

Post by Roger de Coverly » Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:54 pm

Joey Stewart wrote: Secondarily, if it does come to having to go into the actual town, does anbody know any good places to get food, cost is not overly important as long as it is not highly expensive.
There's at least one pub serving relatively inexpensive food within walking distance of the hotel. You head along the A5, under the motorway at the roundabout and take the local road towards town. My team gave it up, not because of the price or the walk, but because the service was exceptionally slow if the place was anywhere near busy.

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:03 pm

There are two, actually:

The "Three Pots in Hinckley" (a Harvester):
http://www.harvester.co.uk/thethreepotshinckley/

The "Hinckley Knight" (a Flaming Grill pub):
http://www.flaminggrillpubs.com/pub/hin ... ley/m8267/

Some care is needed crossing the roads/motorways between the hotel and these venues.

Joey Stewart

Post by Joey Stewart » Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:36 am

Cheers for the suggestions Chris, and thank you for Roger for the warning (no quality of food can compensate for slow delivery, so it is good to know one to avoid).

I am not overly impressed that 200+ people have looked at this topic and only two had any actual advice for me... I guess that unhelpful attitude is to be expected of chess players but it still dissapoints, even after so many years of being involved in the game.
Lose one queen and it is a disaster, Lose 1000 queens and it is just a statistic.

Peter D Williams

Post by Peter D Williams » Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:19 am

Joey Stewart wrote:Cheers for the suggestions Chris, and thank you for Roger for the warning (no quality of food can compensate for slow delivery, so it is good to know one to avoid).

I am not overly impressed that 200+ people have looked at this topic and only two had any actual advice for me... I guess that unhelpful attitude is to be expected of chess players but it still dissapoints, even after so many years of being involved in the game.
That is one of the reason Peter and i do not play any more.
Your right it does disappoint but i doubt it ever change wonder why so many chess players are so unhelpful? A new topic perhaps :wink:
when you are successful many losers bark at you.

Greg Breed

Post by Greg Breed » Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:25 am

Joey Stewart wrote:I am not overly impressed that 200+ people have looked at this topic and only two had any actual advice for me... I guess that unhelpful attitude is to be expected of chess players but it still dissapoints, even after so many years of being involved in the game.
Its probably not that bad Joey. Imagine 50-60 people viewing the thread (I don't know if bots count) each time there's a new post. 5 posts equal 250+ views.

I'm not going to Hinckley this weekend but I will at the final weekend and I'm interested in the answers on offer as I too am in the dark on eateries there.
Hatch End A Captain (Hillingdon League)
Controller (Hillingdon League)

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:26 am

Joey Stewart wrote:Cheers for the suggestions Chris, and thank you for Roger for the warning (no quality of food can compensate for slow delivery, so it is good to know one to avoid).

It's probably more to do with people not having an answer having chosen to eat in the hotel. I'm not sure that 200 people posting that they didn't know would help the thread.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:32 am

Greg Breed wrote: I'm not going to Hinckley this weekend but I will at the final weekend and I'm interested in the answers on offer as I too am in the dark on eateries there.
The "evening chess buffet" at the hotel has become very popular. Joey would have to ask the hotel if it was available to non-resident chess players. He might have to pre-book to get the best price and reserve a table for his team.

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:39 am

Joey

Some of us are very busy running events, and the budget and tax year end don't help :roll:

The first time the Manticores went into Hinckley, we found it was basically shut, apart from an Italian restaurant that I wouldn't recommend

Second time we went to the nearby villages (which can cause you transport problems, and need to be organised and booked) - there was an excellent Indian that GMs Short, Jones and Conquest among others used (difficult car park if you drive like me) and second evening we went to a Chinese in a pub, where the landlord drove us back to Hinckley Island afterwards :!:

If you are interested, PM me your email address and I'll get our restaurant guru to contact you
Any postings on here represent my personal views

Mike Truran

Post by Mike Truran » Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:52 pm

I've confirmed with Hinckley Island that non-residents are welcome to eat in the Brasserie Restaurant and the Triumph Bar.

Mike

Graham Borrowdale

Post by Graham Borrowdale » Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:04 pm

Apart from the 2 mentioned just across the motorway, carry on up the A5 about 2 miles and there is a pub with carvery on the left (The Longshoot).
Carry on another 2 miles north on the A5 - The Redgate Steak and Alehouse is on the right by a major crossroads.
Another mile north - The Bull Inn on the right has good pub food + restaurant.

All of these might require booking, especially for large parties on a Saturday

Just beyond is the town of Atherstone which has a few restaurants/pubs, including typical Indian/Chinese/spit & sawdust.

All of these would probably require a car though.
Hope this helps

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:03 pm

Greg Breed wrote:Imagine 50-60 people viewing the thread (I don't know if bots count) each time there's a new post. 5 posts equal 250+ views.
Given we get over 2,000 unique visitors per day it really isn't hard to hit that figure
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Richard Bates

Post by Richard Bates » Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:33 am

I think some of us could be looking for somewhere to eat in Hinckley for half of next week... :) Might have to rejig the live boards to match the games where two players are actually present!

Jonathan Rogers

Post by Jonathan Rogers » Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:12 am

Four of the Barbican 2 players stayed at Hinckley last night; another three set off from London together at 9.15. So I am cautiously optimistic about that match, at any rate.

But it does somehow feel already that it is going to be a frustrating and difficult weekend.

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:12 am

Absolutely, best of luck to all travelling today, glad I'm not venturing further than 5 miles from here
Any postings on here represent my personal views