Tables after round 8 (2012-13 season)

Venues, fixtures, teams and related matters.
Christopher Kreuzer

Re: Tables after round 8 (2012-13 season)

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:26 am

LawrenceCooper wrote:Any suggestions for games to be included in my report?
Hope it's not too late for your report, but I've been reliably informed that the game where a non-titled Cambridge University player downed a GM (Churm 1-0 Hebden from round eight) features a "study-like finish" and that Hebden had to explain to the gathered spectators why he had resigned! If it is too late for your report (or even if not), someone should post it here.

EDIT: Having now played through it, it is more of a standard finish than I thought (the basic position can be found in several study collections), but still nice.

Nick Thomas

Post by Nick Thomas » Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:22 am

Ben Purton wrote:No matter what happens over the final weekend. I am extremely proud of my team this season. To be on 6 points is an incredible achievement for us. Unfortunately we will be outgraded in all our remaining 3 matches. Especially annoying having to play Wood Green 2. We are still favourites to go down this year but usually we would find ourselves with nothing to play for.

Can you please include the game we won V wood green Loz. Sam Williams was a talented junior(In an era when Ameet and Ste were there also) who all but gave up. But when you get told "Im going to try the Grunfeld because I think he wrote the book Ive got at home on it" and then win that made us happy.

Whilst Jonathan might be shocked by us. The only team to rival our over performance thus far has to be Barbican 2 who smashed away WGHK2 despite the difference in rating with ease. They have outperformed their rivals in numerous matches they perhaps should not.
It seems to be a good year for the underdogs. My team Warwickshire Select have had by far their best year so far in div 1. We've been lucky as well of course in that our wins have been narrow and our points have carried over. We are grateful to have recruited Ameet this year and he is destined to be a 2550+ GM fairly soon I think and have managed to retain our former junior Richard Weaving (now a Cambridge Uni maths bod) who is currently playing like a 2400 IM. Our win on Sunday against Guildford 2 was our best ever I think and gives us a fighting chance of clinging on to div 1 chess next season.
Last edited by Nick Thomas on Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:44 am, edited 2 times in total.

Nick Thomas

Post by Nick Thomas » Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:25 am

BTW I thought Yang-Fan Zhou Vs Sam Collins from round 7 was entertaining.

Brian Valentine

Post by Brian Valentine » Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:41 am

If you are looking for a corner to fill, then Adrian Matthews brevity for FCA Solutions 2 on Sunday is worth a look.

Chris Rice

Post by Chris Rice » Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:39 am

Not sure what the game was like but Sabrina Chevannes (2083) 1-0 v Marcos Collados Camacho (2425) in the Cambridge - Guildford 1 game on the Sunday was a pretty incredible result. One of our guys (Jutes of Kent), Bragi Thorfinnsson could be on for a GM norm with 5.5/6 (only draw v Nigel Short), his game against Stephen Gordon was notable on the Sunday as after 18 moves, the Grunfeld opening looked like something from a Fischerrandom game.

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:47 am

Any postings on here represent my personal views

Ian Stephens

Post by Ian Stephens » Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:49 pm

LawrenceCooper wrote:Any suggestions for games to be included in my report?
Tart v Stephens div 3 Sunday BCM Hippos v Aigburth was a good save, possibly instructive rook ending?
Ex-President of Liverpool Chess Club, now mere Tournament Controller and Chief bottle washer.