Graded results

Venues, fixtures, teams and related matters.
David Gostelow

Graded results

Post by David Gostelow » Tue Feb 25, 2014 1:16 pm

just looked at the FIDE site and it lists my loss for the last weekend but not my win on the Sunday , I then look at the person I beat and his loss to me is listed . Seems a bit strange , am I missing something or is it an admin cock up , but I would of thought it would either miss our game or not miss our game , not just show it one sided ?

Sean Hewitt

Re: Graded results

Post by Sean Hewitt » Tue Feb 25, 2014 1:34 pm

FIDE only rate games against rated players.

You have a FIDE rating, but your opponent from Sunday does not. Therefore the game is rated for him as he played a rated player [you], but it is not rated for you as you played an unrated opponent.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Tue Feb 25, 2014 1:36 pm

David Gostelow wrote:. Seems a bit strange , am I missing something or is it an admin cock up , but I would of thought it would either miss our game or not miss our game , not just show it one sided ?
FIDE rating is one-sided by design. In a normal league or Swiss, the treatment of a game Rated v Unrated is that it doesn't count for the Rated player. It does however count for the Unrated player in that it contributes to his or her provisional rating. It's an effect that can contribute to inconsistencies between someone's ECF grade and FIDE rating.

Now that 4NCL teams are allowed to use converted ECF grades for determining board orders, it can be difficult to determine whether or not your potential opponent has a FIDE rating and if so what it is. You would have to look them up at the FIDE site. That's sometimes worth doing, as it can tell you where they've played if outside England and may even have some games stored in pgn form.

Ihor Lewyk

Post by Ihor Lewyk » Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:29 pm

I thought you needed to play a certain number of games to get even a part elo rating. Isn't this still the case.
By submitting the results each weekend does it mean a player can play a whole season of 4NCL games but never achieve a part elo rating?

I keep being reminded that this has certainly scuppered title norm opportunities in the 4NCL.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:35 pm

Ihor Lewyk wrote: By submitting the results each weekend does it mean a player can play a whole season of 4NCL games but never achieve a part elo rating?
I believe it does, so you need a part rating from a Congress to start with. The ECF seem disinclined to pick a fight with FIDE about this, or the 4NCL with the ECF for that matter.
Ihor Lewyk wrote: I keep being reminded that this has certainly scuppered title norm opportunities in the 4NCL.
I don't think title norms are in any way affected, being a league, you just aggregate results off all the weekends.

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:45 pm

Ihor Lewyk wrote:I thought you needed to play a certain number of games to get even a part elo rating. Isn't this still the case.
By submitting the results each weekend does it mean a player can play a whole season of 4NCL games but never achieve a part elo rating?

I keep being reminded that this has certainly scuppered title norm opportunities in the 4NCL.
I believe that the only way you can get an initial part rating from the 4NCL is to play three rated players at the final weekend and score at least a point. If you already have a part rating than individual games against rated players will count.

Adam Raoof

Post by Adam Raoof » Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:00 pm

LawrenceCooper wrote:I believe that the only way you can get an initial part rating from the 4NCL is to play three rated players at the final weekend and score at least a point. If you already have a part rating than individual games against rated players will count.
The last point may not be accurate;

8.2 Determining the Rating 'Ru' in a given event of a previously unrated player.
8.21 If an unrated player scores less than 1 point in his first rated event, or he plays fewer than 3 rated opponents in any event, his score is disregarded.

It depends on the definition of 'event' - you can only play three rated games in the final weekend, so I doubt if the other weekends can be aggregated together to produce 3 or more rated opponents?
Adam Raoof IA, IO
Chess England Events - https://chessengland.com/
The Chess Circuit - https://chesscircuit.substack.com/
Don’t stop playing chess!

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:29 pm

Adam Raoof wrote: It depends on the definition of 'event' - you can only play three rated games in the final weekend, so I doubt if the other weekends can be aggregated together to produce 3 or more rated opponents?
David Gostelow's opponent was playing his first standard play rated game. I suspect the FIDE ratings server will have a policy of loading all available data and then sorting out whether it counted towards a provisional rating or not.

http://ratings.fide.com/card.phtml?event=438456

As to whether a player with a part rating will add to it with one or two games from 4NCL weekends, presumably there must be some players who could be watched to see when FIDE will award them a first rating.

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:35 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Adam Raoof wrote: It depends on the definition of 'event' - you can only play three rated games in the final weekend, so I doubt if the other weekends can be aggregated together to produce 3 or more rated opponents?
David Gostelow's opponent was playing his first standard play rated game. I suspect the FIDE ratings server will have a policy of loading all available data and then sorting out whether it counted towards a provisional rating or not.

http://ratings.fide.com/card.phtml?event=438456

As to whether a player with a part rating will add to it with one or two games from 4NCL weekends, presumably there must be some players who could be watched to see when FIDE will award them a first rating.
One of my squad started the 4NCL season with part ratings totalling seven games. They played a rated game at the first weekend in round 2 and then completed their rating by playing a rated player in round 3. They then became rated on the February list. Had they not already had a part rating I believe that the games would not have counted towards a rating.