4NCL North 2014-15

Venues, fixtures, teams and related matters.
Mick Norris

Re: 4NCL North 2014-15

Post by Mick Norris » Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:24 am

Anyone know when the pairings will be out for Shrigley?
Any postings on here represent my personal views

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:22 am

Mick Norris wrote:Anyone know when the pairings will be out for Shrigley?
No pairings have been published yet for either Division Three North or South :cry:

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:57 am

Mick Norris wrote:Anyone know when the pairings will be out for Shrigley?
I've been asked this recently by a Division 3 South captain, so I have the answer as at Monday afternoon.

Dave Thomas has produced the pairings. He sent them to Dave Welch and Matthew Carr to check. Dave W said he was satisfied, and Matthew was engaged at the London Chess Classic last week, which prevented him from realistically acting on the request last week.

Once that is complete, they then need to ask the webmaster to publish them, and again, he has been tied up with the Classic, and it isn't an ideal time of year for getting hold of people.

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:21 am

Thanks for the answer Alex

I assume the pairings could be emailed to captains and/or put on here if the webmaster was busy

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:22 pm

Mick Norris wrote:Thanks for the answer Alex

I assume the pairings could be emailed to captains and/or put on here if the webmaster was busy
Indeed, although Dave Thomas is currently in the process of moving house. I mean, literally - everything is currently bagged up and in the process of being moved, including the computer which would be used to send the e-mail. Publishing the 4NCL pairings not really been his priority this week!

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Fri Dec 19, 2014 1:43 pm

That's fine - they were out last season on 3 December 2013, so I was a bit surprised to find they weren't out already that's all

Paul Dargan

Post by Paul Dargan » Sat Dec 20, 2014 4:50 pm

Div 3S now up on the website, so I guess they're still discussing how to do the triangular match in 3N

Paul

David Robertson

Post by David Robertson » Sun Dec 21, 2014 4:27 pm

If the triangular match is the problem, then this applies:

Given it is the season of goodwill, when our every kind thought turns to those poor benighted Arbiters alone in their bleak hovels, it must be our most sincere wish to ease their suffering. Hence, on behalf of my team, and in keeping with the Spirit of Atticus, I formally withdraw the threat of civil disorder. We will accept our place in a second triangular match with good grace if that is how it goes.

And a Merry Christmas to you all - including the Arbiters!

David Pardoe

Re: 4NCL North 2014-15 - Team Meals

Post by David Pardoe » Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:38 am

Those heading for Pott Shrigley in Jan who are happy with a traditional english menu could try either the Legh Arms pub, http://www.greatbritishcarvery.co.uk/our-pubs/legh-arms
which is opposite Adlington Railway Station, about 1 mile from Shrigley Hall, which also serves a good priced carvery option (self serve veg.), Or there is the Butley Ash, a Shef & Brewer pub, further down the main A523 road towards Macclesfield.
BRING BACK THE BCF

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Wed Dec 24, 2014 10:06 pm

David Robertson wrote:Given it is the season of goodwill, when our every kind thought turns to those poor benighted Arbiters alone in their bleak hovels, it must be our most sincere wish to ease their suffering.
It turns out that poor benighted Arbiter B offered to take the responsibility for producing the Division 3 North pairings off poor benighted Arbiter A, and A didn't do them as a result. Unfortunately, A thinks he forgot to tell B that he accepted A's offer. :(

Paul Robson

Post by Paul Robson » Tue Dec 30, 2014 10:29 pm

We'll there is always next year Alex.

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Thu Jan 01, 2015 11:46 am

Alex Holowczak wrote:
David Robertson wrote:Given it is the season of goodwill, when our every kind thought turns to those poor benighted Arbiters alone in their bleak hovels, it must be our most sincere wish to ease their suffering.
It turns out that poor benighted Arbiter B offered to take the responsibility for producing the Division 3 North pairings off poor benighted Arbiter A, and A didn't do them as a result. Unfortunately, A thinks he forgot to tell B that he accepted A's offer. :(
Alex

Do you know the timescale for the release of the pairings?

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Thu Jan 01, 2015 12:14 pm

Mick Norris wrote:
Alex Holowczak wrote:
Alex

Do you know the timescale for the release of the pairings?
Nope. But I know that A spoke to the Chief Arbiter just before Christmas, who said he'd speak to B "after Christmas". I don't know if that conversation has happened.

Anyway, there's a lot of speculation so I'll fire off an e-mail to B when I'm done faffing around with Paypal (and thus logged in to a different e-mail account).

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Thu Jan 01, 2015 12:43 pm

Update!

The pairings have been done, and sent to Dave Thomas for review. Having seen the e-mail a moment before I called him, he is now about to start that review.

I asked how this could be possible if the cards were elsewhere, but apparently Dave will check using his set; there are two sets of independently compiled pairing cards. Checking the validity of a set of pairings based on one set of cards, with a set of cards compiled independently, seems to me to be asking for trouble, but that is nevertheless the situation that has been arrived at.

IM Jack Rudd

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Thu Jan 01, 2015 12:49 pm

It might be the reverse of asking for trouble, though. If there are any discrepancies between the two sets of pairing cards, the checking process is likely to flag them up.