"Team Scotland at the 4NCL"

Venues, fixtures, teams and related matters.
Carl Hibbard

Re: "Team Scotland at the 4NCL"

Post by Carl Hibbard » Thu May 07, 2015 9:13 pm

I prefer Bourbon if anyone is wondering?
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

David Pardoe

Post by David Pardoe » Thu May 07, 2015 9:28 pm

No plans for a North East venue...?
Its early days, but it might be worth checking with someone like Laura Barnes, who could probably offer some good suggestions... no need to do any scouring.
Lumley Castle at Chester-Le-Street could be fun (but out of our cost bracket I suspect), and possibly Washington (Best Western, perhaps)...but whatever your travel team can find Mike, I`m sure will be fine..
The announcements of next seasons venues will no doubt, be awaited with interest....with or without the Whisky.
The beer up north isn't bad either......but the scenery and heritage is top draw.
BRING BACK THE BCF

Mike Truran

Post by Mike Truran » Thu May 07, 2015 9:32 pm

David

North East England 1
Manchester Manticores
Cheddleton 2
North East England 2
Jorvik
Spirit of Atticus B
Bradford DCA Knights A
Manchester Manticores 1
Holmes Chapel
Bradford DCA Knights B
Manchester Manticores 3
Bradford DCA Knights C
Cheddleton 3

Do the maths.

Mike

Ian Thompson

Post by Ian Thompson » Thu May 07, 2015 10:35 pm

Mike Truran wrote:David

North East England 1
Manchester Manticores
Cheddleton 2
North East England 2
Jorvik
Spirit of Atticus B
Bradford DCA Knights A
Manchester Manticores 1
Holmes Chapel
Bradford DCA Knights B
Manchester Manticores 3
Bradford DCA Knights C
Cheddleton 3

Do the maths.

Mike
Does counting to 3 count as maths? What's the tie-break method? :)

MartinCarpenter

Post by MartinCarpenter » Thu May 07, 2015 10:45 pm

Try the geography instead perhaps :)

As to who qualifies as northern, well, the geographical center of the UK does seem to be in/around the forest of Bowland somewhere....

David Pardoe

Post by David Pardoe » Thu May 07, 2015 11:06 pm

Mike
I`ve had a look at the Maths....and the geography, and the `potential` and various other `interest factors`.... not least venues that might have `extra appeal potential`...

But its early days...I`m not jumping in and demanding anything, merely suggesting one possibility....
And I note that the work involved in any such moves does require a good deal of pre planning....
Like I say, the venues for next season will be awaited with interest, and I`m sure your team will be working hard to find workable options.

Manchester`s 3 teams had there team meeting and meal on the Saturday night...a very enjoyable occasion...and we were chatting about 4NCL matters, amongst other things.
It was generally agreed that the 4NCL leagues are very good, excellent chess fayre, and the Northern League has proved very positive... the emergence of NE1 as the North`s super power, cruising into Div 2, shows that the sleeping giants have awoken.....long live the kingdom of the Prince Bishops.
We must encourage our sleeping giants...
Returning to our discussions... the team also agreed that our joint `North - South` Finals weekend is a definite high point of the season, and it was great to see Manchester there with its 3 teams, all challenging for the points... Great too to see all the other representatives from across the land.
This great meeting has become one of the highlights of the chess calendar....

One other comment that was made was about juniors and grades...we noted the considerable spread of grades across the teams in Div 3 ...from averages of FIDE 2100 down to circa 1650 ish.. and we noted the presence of several junior teams, with the diversity of grades...and of course its very difficult to know how these young sharp shooters will perform.

It would be good to see more junior teams from the north coming through...
We`ll see what the final makeup of the North league comes out to. It would certainly be good to see more teams from across our region joining this league...
BRING BACK THE BCF

Neil Graham

Post by Neil Graham » Sun May 10, 2015 11:01 pm

So now we have the 4NCL where three nations are actually competing! Has there actually been a time when the Four Nations Chess League had teams from the four nations taking part? I did suggest some time ago that the League change it's name to the "National Chess League" but no-one was interested.

If the fourth nation is supposed to be Ireland why isn't it a 5NCL with Northern Ireland taking part? Indeed the world's most published chess writer was recently in Ulster where a simultaneous was organised by the appropriately named Mr O'Fee. I am pleased to report that one opponent achieved "a drawer" - obviously the event sponsor must have been a furniture manufacturer.

More details:- http://www.ulsterchess.org/Members/ucu0 ... angor-club