The view from Moscow

Venues, fixtures, teams and related matters.
Jonathan Rogers

The view from Moscow

Post by Jonathan Rogers » Tue May 05, 2015 1:24 pm

On the website

http://www.chess-news.ru/en

they posted this just before this final weekend:

"The English national league, the 4NCL ("Four Nations Chess League", the four nations being England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland!) plays its final round this Bank Holiday weekend. The defending champions Guildford are again favourites, and are likely to turn out a super-strong team, which could include the likes of Short, Sadler, Jones, Vachier-Lagrave, Edouard, and others. However, they can expect a hard challenge from Barbican and Wood Green, both of whom traditionally bring in many GMs for the final weekend.

The (admittedly rather chaotic!) official website is here, and live games will be shown here. Games start at 14.00 Saturday, 13.00 Sunday and 11.00 Monday (all times UK time)."

... which rather amuses me. In fact Wood Green were playing in the relegation pool and Barbican played with its usual one GM, lost all three matches and their sole achievment was that one of their players made an IM norm!

But don't tell the Russians.

John McKenna

Re: The view from Moscow

Post by John McKenna » Tue May 05, 2015 2:37 pm

I am a lot closer to it than Moscow yet I find the esoteric workings of the 4NCL a riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma, refelected in a kaleidoscope (i.e. "the admittedly chaotic website"). I just enjoy the live games instead of worring too much about what it all means in the scheme of things and leave that to the cognoscenti and connoiseurs.

Mike Truran

Post by Mike Truran » Tue May 05, 2015 6:09 pm

I don't think I'm going to be the one to tell Steve Connor what the Russians called his website. :shock:

Richard Bates

Post by Richard Bates » Tue May 05, 2015 7:20 pm

Clearly the Russian team hasn't made it onto their radar yet :) :roll:

Mike Truran

Post by Mike Truran » Thu May 07, 2015 3:52 pm

And our website is "admittedly rather chaotic"????

http://www.chess-news.ru/en

Cheeky buggers.