4NCL North 2015-16

Venues, fixtures, teams and related matters.
Andrew Bak

Re: 4NCL North 2015-16

Post by Andrew Bak » Fri Oct 30, 2015 9:01 pm

David Pardoe wrote: The implication that some `weaker teams` will just want fun games in the final rounds, where they don`t face any challenging opposition is complete bunkum..
You keep putting words into my mouth that I'm not saying or implying. In fact I said the complete opposite:
Andrew Bak wrote:The matches in the final four rounds should be reasonably competitive for all teams.
I usually find playing players of a similar strength to me to be a challenge, indeed I've also had lots of tough and enjoyable games against siginificantly lower-rated opposition! The great thing about the 4NCL is that you get a variety.
David Pardoe wrote:perhaps you should re-read, before blurting forth
:lol:
David Pardoe wrote:PS.. I notice you repeated your earlier post no less than 3 times :lol:
That's what happens when you click "quote" instead of "edit" :oops:

Alan Walton

Post by Alan Walton » Fri Oct 30, 2015 9:06 pm

The 4NCL is regarded as the pinnacle of team chess in England (UK), it should not be considered to keep the "weaker" teams interested, if you are scoring badly you should play other teams playing badly, wait up isn't that like every tournament

Mike Truran

Post by Mike Truran » Fri Oct 30, 2015 9:09 pm

that's 4 teams worth, or put another way, a quarter of a league disappeared
Actually less than 5% of the league. Presumably you meant "division", but to be fair a grasp of detail has never been a strong point of your posts.

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Fri Oct 30, 2015 9:09 pm

This may be a good time to mention that the new season's player registrations are now available: http://www.4nclresults.co.uk/2015-16/me ... glist.html

David Pardoe

Post by David Pardoe » Fri Oct 30, 2015 9:26 pm

Alan Walton wrote:The 4NCL is regarded as the pinnacle of team chess in England (UK), it should not be considered to keep the "weaker" teams interested, if you are scoring badly you should play other teams playing badly, wait up isn't that like every tournament

Alan,
As Mike has correctly observed (he does get some small details right... :) ), we`re talking about `leagues` here, not tournaments... I don't think leagues usually have rules stating that weaker teams should avoid stronger teams.... nor for that matter, that they should play each other at particular points in a season..
Those things tend to be features of a Swiss style event... and we know your opinions on that :roll: :roll:
BRING BACK THE BCF

IM Jack Rudd

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Fri Oct 30, 2015 9:54 pm

David Pardoe wrote:Those things tend to be features of a Swiss style event... and we know your opinions on that :roll: :roll:
Swiss-style events are fine... when the tournament is large enough for the number of rounds.

Now how much is "large enough" is an open question, but I think it's safe to say that 16 competitors for an 11-round tournament isn't it. (There is, among other things, a horrible risk of jamming the tournament.)

MartinCarpenter

Post by MartinCarpenter » Sat Oct 31, 2015 12:02 am

LawrenceCooper wrote:This may be a good time to mention that the new season's player registrations are now available: http://www.4nclresults.co.uk/2015-16/me ... glist.html
Goodness, that Alba squad! They'll have to try quite hard not to get promoted you'd think.

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Sat Oct 31, 2015 8:41 am

MartinCarpenter wrote:
LawrenceCooper wrote:This may be a good time to mention that the new season's player registrations are now available: http://www.4nclresults.co.uk/2015-16/me ... glist.html
Goodness, that Alba squad! They'll have to try quite hard not to get promoted you'd think.
Yes, interesting to see the team lists and compare them to the seedings - wide range of grades in Manx Ravens for example

Apart from Alba, any other predictions Martin?
Any postings on here represent my personal views

MartinCarpenter

Post by MartinCarpenter » Sat Oct 31, 2015 9:38 am

Broadland should do well if Polaczek plays most of the matches. Manx do look potentially very variable, wonder if those grades on the lower boards are at all reliable?!

Not sure about Bradford DCA A. Oskar is seemingly gone, which is a big blow. Still a very big/solid squad of course - something like ten players ~my standard and a bunch more very reasonable ones. Absolutely no one in that squad who'll frighten the huge bulk of 170-190 players in the league though.

They'll have to really fight for their wins, imagine a modest plus score in the end is par. If they get a decent turn out I'd really hate to have to select how to split the players for DCA A and B :) Wouldn't be at all shocking to see DCA B finish above A.

Manchester isn't so different, I guess slightly bigger A vs B gap if you can get Jaunooby/Thestrup out.

MartinCarpenter

Post by MartinCarpenter » Wed Nov 11, 2015 11:15 am

Hummm. Seems like Bradford have managed to lure Phil Watson from Leeds Uni old boys. That'll definitely help them when he plays.

I guess we'll know much more after this weekend :)

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Wed Nov 11, 2015 11:49 am

Yes, will be interesting - I think we'll have 20 Manticores there at some stage of the weekend

MartinCarpenter

Post by MartinCarpenter » Sun Nov 15, 2015 8:50 pm

Great weekend for Bradford A and 3C's 2 - who seem to have been slightly more serious/older(?) than I might have guessed. Alba obviously exceedingly good.

Jorvik's cunningly opting for the surprise option of the same team in both matches didn't quite work out ;)

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Mon Nov 16, 2015 7:40 am

Hard fought matches with very competitive teams even where there were rating differences - should be an interesting season - hard work for the IMs playing too

Played in a good spirit too - our 2nd team board 1, who drew yesterday in the match v Manx Ravens said "One thing that stood out for me was just how much of a gentleman my opponent was. Happy to analyse the game afterwards and charming and funny, I think a lot of IMs wouldn't have been like that in the circumstances. "

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Mon Nov 16, 2015 9:59 am

Mick Norris wrote:Hard fought matches with very competitive teams even where there were rating differences - should be an interesting season - hard work for the IMs playing too

Played in a good spirit too - our 2nd team board 1, who drew yesterday in the match v Manx Ravens said "One thing that stood out for me was just how much of a gentleman my opponent was. Happy to analyse the game afterwards and charming and funny, I think a lot of IMs wouldn't have been like that in the circumstances. "
I can't comment on the "charming and funny" bit but I've happily analysed all of my local league games this season where I've scored 1.5/5 against an average well below my own grade :oops:

David Pardoe

Post by David Pardoe » Mon Nov 16, 2015 3:10 pm

I followed the matches played in Div 3N with interest... yes, some very good battles.
And hats off to those teams who travelled long distances in what looked to be very challenging weather conditions..
I had visions of `Manx Ferry cancellations` flashing on the screen.. But no, the Manxmen showed up, as did the Scots...as did the East Anglian contingent.. So top marks to all who made the trip.. and hopefully a safe trip back on Sunday.
I think the Manxmen were last to finish on the Sunday...
No doubt there was plenty of `social` on the Saturday evening, and I know there are some energetic souls, with high stamina, who can still find time and energy into the wee small hours,, analyzing games, and discussing the highlights of the day. And, no doubt,, enjoying some good food in the local eateries..
No doubt reports will follow in due course... Merseyside and Bradford usually provide some interesting commentaries..!
BRING BACK THE BCF