4NCL North 2015-16

Venues, fixtures, teams and related matters.
Mick Norris

Re: 4NCL North 2015-16

Post by Mick Norris » Mon Nov 16, 2015 4:38 pm

LawrenceCooper wrote:
Mick Norris wrote:Hard fought matches with very competitive teams even where there were rating differences - should be an interesting season - hard work for the IMs playing too

Played in a good spirit too - our 2nd team board 1, who drew yesterday in the match v Manx Ravens said "One thing that stood out for me was just how much of a gentleman my opponent was. Happy to analyse the game afterwards and charming and funny, I think a lot of IMs wouldn't have been like that in the circumstances. "
I can't comment on the "charming and funny" bit but I've happily analysed all of my local league games this season where I've scored 1.5/5 against an average well below my own grade :oops:
I'm sure you are both :)
Any postings on here represent my personal views

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Mon Nov 16, 2015 4:42 pm

MartinCarpenter wrote:Great weekend for Bradford A and 3C's 2 - who seem to have been slightly more serious/older(?) than I might have guessed. Alba obviously exceedingly good.

Jorvik's cunningly opting for the surprise option of the same team in both matches didn't quite work out ;)
Yes, that was a surprise, whereas Holmes Chapel rejigging their board order wasn't

I think lots of the teams were missing good players, so too early to judge, we'll see after Crewe

3 female players playing, is that 50% more than usual? It would be good if that wasn't worth mentioning

Good to catch up with some old friends, and meet some new ones too

MartinCarpenter

Post by MartinCarpenter » Mon Nov 16, 2015 4:54 pm

Only really Manchester who were notably short vs registered strength I think? Maybe Alba slightly too, but they're so far ahead it shouldn't really matter :)

Bradford A were pretty much as good as they'll get, as with Spirit B, Ched 2 etc.
(DCA B/C can get a little stronger in principle.).

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Mon Nov 16, 2015 5:16 pm

Cheddleton 2 mentioned they were missing G Acey & M Armstrong, a couple of the other teams mentioned missing players

I think we had 7 or 8 of our 10 highest graded players missing, not that there is much between our top 15 or 20 strength wise - disappointing result fr the 1st team yesterday, compensated by a good result for the 2nd team - at least 1st beat 2nd on Saturday :)

MartinCarpenter

Post by MartinCarpenter » Mon Nov 16, 2015 7:04 pm

Presume finishing in the 'right' order is the main priority after last year ;) The evenness of the Manchester squad is truly impressive. Bradford too, if slightly less so.

Andrew Bak

Post by Andrew Bak » Mon Nov 16, 2015 9:39 pm

MM1s dropped point is unlikely to be of any relevance unless they fail to qualify into the promotion pool.

MartinCarpenter

Post by MartinCarpenter » Tue Nov 17, 2015 3:24 pm

Since people love moaning about the seeding etc, the pools are indeed unbalanced on average ECF. To the tune of a whole 1 grading point on average team strength.... 171/170.

So not a bad effort ;) Loads of stronger teams clustered around 180-185, then Alba of course.

Provided 3C's 2 stay up to strength it looks (on paper) reasonably clear cut who'll go through in A, B has the three teams who should, then DCA B/MM 2 fighting.

We'll see. I presume 3S is similar, but not bothered to check.

Alan Walton

Post by Alan Walton » Tue Nov 17, 2015 4:12 pm

MartinCarpenter wrote:Provided 3C's 2 stay up to strength it looks (on paper) reasonably clear cut who'll go through in A, B has the three teams who should, then DCA B/MM 2 fighting
I think you will find that the 3Cs team was most probably as weak as it gets that first weekend :wink:

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Wed Nov 18, 2015 12:18 pm

David Pardoe wrote:No doubt reports will follow in due course... Merseyside and Bradford usually provide some interesting commentaries..!
SoA and Yorkshire chess re Bradford A and B&C

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Sat Jan 16, 2016 9:10 am

More than a little cold here in Bolton this morning, so safe journey to everyone off to Crewe today

Bradford A v 3Cs 2 looks the match of the day in Pool A - Bradford A have Cheddleton 2 tomorrow, so tough weekend

SoA B v MM 1 maybe in Pool B - Manx v Alba will be interesting tomorrow

MartinCarpenter

Post by MartinCarpenter » Sat Jan 16, 2016 10:02 am

Yes cold, but its finally winter rather than endless rain :)

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Sun Jan 17, 2016 8:21 am

Bradford A drew with 3Cs 2 in Pool A and Spirit C got a good draw with the higher rated Holmes Chapel, with the rating favourites winning the other 2 matches

Cheddleton 2 v Bradford A should be close today

SoA B lost narrowly to MM 1 in the close rated match in Pool B, with the higher rated teams winning the other 3 matches

David Pardoe

Post by David Pardoe » Sun Jan 17, 2016 9:32 am

Yes, a good days chessing at Crewe De Veres in the Cheshire suit.
And credit too to the hotel for putting on a chess players meal deals, including lunch time sandwiches (selection), and a reasonable `budget` evening meal, which I hope was well supported. Unfortunately I was travelling back last night so was unable to partake.
Arrived in good time yesterday, so enjoyed a walk in the grounds before start of play. Some fine views over the golf course and into the Cheshire plain....
I didn't see much of the play except our board 6 looked comfortable all the way down to a 2R and Ps endgame, which he duly drew.
Apart from one other draw, and my own, the Manticores 3 had a testing time against a strong Broadlands team. Outgraded by an average of 200+ points per board, with our top two boards giving odds of around 350 grading points, a brave showing was forthcoming.
My opponent was a junior, who played with blinding speed.. 15 moves in the blink of an eye. No way was I going to keep pace with that.. apologies to the controllers for my scribbled score sheet. Anyway, the game played out with some middle game complications, pieces regularly exchanged, with my opponent holding the initiative most of the game. We traded down to 2 minor pieces and some spread pawns, to an interesting endgame, where the initiative seemed to alternate, with chances for both sides. Finally, my B & P v his N & P proved drawn. Who said draws are boring. One of the great points of these 4NCL events is that they do allow the playing of interesting endgames.
Anyway, at about 5.45 we called it a day, last of our team to finish, which was a relief for me, as I could set off before any bad weather set in..
Those staying for todays matches no doubt enjoyed some good team meals (and a hearty breakfast this morning), which is another highlight of these events. I stayed a while to watch some of the remaining games being played out. Manticores 1 had a very close duel, with the last two boards in play, and our board 2 looking good with better pressure on both sides of the board, and an extra couple of Ps. in a minor pieces ending.
A number of other matches looked closely fought, and set to continue into the evening. Stamina and concentration needed...!
Top marks to the 4NCL organisers and our controllers for a very good w/e`s chess... and to De Veres for the excellent facilities.
And lets not forget our captains, who put in great efforts to turn out the teams...
BRING BACK THE BCF

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Sun Jan 17, 2016 10:02 am

David Pardoe wrote:apologies to the controllers for my scribbled score sheet.
I think the score-sheets got the better of the inputter. At one stage White appears to play Ba2-b3 after which David's reply .. f5 would lose in several ways. White then appears to play the illogical Bb3-a2. What I think must have happened is that White played Ba2-b1 eyeing the h7 pawn, the threat is then blocked with f7-f5. White then returns the Bishop to a2, which Black meets with Bd5 blocking the diagonal.

For the benefit of later readers, here's the whole game as recorded on the 4NCL website.

Alex McFarlane

Post by Alex McFarlane » Sun Jan 17, 2016 10:45 am

Thanks Roger,

I've just looked at both scoresheets. Neither make much sense on that move!!! Your suggestion looks the most logical. Checking with David's opponent now.