The Manchester Congress & others coming soon in the North.!

Results of competitions with tables, or as much detail as is possible.
David Pardoe

The Manchester Congress & others coming soon in the North.!

Post by David Pardoe » Thu Sep 16, 2010 11:30 am

This years event went off quite successfully in the Woolton Hall venue...part of Manchester University`s Fallowfield site. A pleasant location, good venue, with good catering facilities at the nearby Armitage centre. The new DGT 2010 digital clocks were used, which I presume were favourably recieved, and caused no major difficulties for those who had not previously used this `new technology`. The event was moved from its usual slot in early July, due to the World Cup.
Entry levels were again quite encouraging, with a strong local showing. I called in on the Friday evening, late on..(in the midst of some domestic decorating duties). The (England) football match had probably limited attendance on the first night...
Anyway, my thanks to Harry Lamb for supplying results, which I list below...

Open Section.. 1st Adam Ashton 3Cs 4.5pts, 2nd &3rd = Mike Surtees (Bolton) & Hope Mkhumba (Chorlton) 4pts, & 4th Chris Vassiliou (Chorlton) 3.5pts U185 GP
Ten players were close behind on 3pts. Amongst these, two other local players.. David Hulmes & Ali Jaunoobi both made strong starts, but ran into an `inform` Adam Ashton...

Major Section..
1st Peter Kobryn Gt Lever 5pts, 2nd = David Byron Chester, Nigel Holroyd, Michael Connor Gt Lever, John Cawston York, & John Bowers (GP).. Caernarfon each scoring 3.5pts
Peter scored max points... Jim Nicolson (Mr ultra-sound, and great long standing local chess devotee) scored a very solid 5 draws..!!, and one less fortunate player scored nought..but battled bravely, I have no doubt.!! Better luck next time.

Knights Section..
1st Tim Hilton 3Cs 4.5pts, 2nd = Dave Dunne.. Dark Horses & Dave Watson Costorphine (graded 69.!!) both on 4pts with Jack Virgin Worsley on 3.5 picking up the U110 grading prize

Coming soon...
Bradford Congress..this weekend..its not too late to enter ...!!
followed by Runcorn e2e4 events & the Isle of Man Congresses...w/e 26th Sept.. see http://www.englishchess.org.uk/?page_id=1396 and scroll down for details.
Good Chessing
BRING BACK THE BCF

David Pardoe

Re: The Manchester Congress & others coming soon in the Nort

Post by David Pardoe » Sat Sep 18, 2010 8:03 am

More comments and pictures on the MCF Website....!!

http://www.manchesterchessfederation.co.uk/page18.html
Click to view these....
BRING BACK THE BCF