Frodsham Congress - A Mid Cheshire Gem

Results of competitions with tables, or as much detail as is possible.
David Pardoe

Frodsham Congress - A Mid Cheshire Gem

Post by David Pardoe » Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:59 am

Hello chessnuts........
I was involved in a county U160 match last Saturday..travelling down to play for GMan v Leicestershire.
It was a good days chessing at the excellent `neutral venue at Newcastle-U-Lyme Bridge Club.
Its always a challenging match, and Saturday was no exception...... Hospitality excellent....many thanks to Newcastle for there efforts.
Unfortunately for me the days chessing was slightly tarnished because I played a rubbish variation of the QGA, and duely got soundly punished by a crushing Q-side pawn roll by black. I have now taken on board that an early a4 or b3 or both by white is definately worth considering.....
Anyway, on the trip down we were discussing this and other Opennings, and also got talking about Frodsham, an excellent w/e Congress held in the rural Historic Market Town of Frodsham in Mid Feb. Located near the Chester end of the M56, a very convenient spot, with good facilities, parking, refreshments & playing area, just on the edge of town.
Glenn Trueman said that it had been a enjoyable event, with the usual regulars present, and fairly well attended. A well run event capably hosted for many years by Pat Ridley, Roger Edwards, and the team....
I dont have any detailed results, so perhaps someone involved could shed some light...and maybe offer some comments.
BRING BACK THE BCF

Mick Norris

Re: Frodsham Congress - A Mid Cheshire Gem

Post by Mick Norris » Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:01 am

Any postings on here represent my personal views

Steve Lloyd

Post by Steve Lloyd » Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:41 pm

I managed to win the intermediate, Chester won the team prize for the 3rd year running.

There was a new team doing the refreshments. Prices seemed to be up, though at least they were serving tea in proper cups! However, the lack of toast on offer was disappointing!

The new time control of 110 minutes + 10 seconds/move was interesting. I wouldn't mind seeing it used again in other events.

David Pardoe

Post by David Pardoe » Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:14 pm

Thanks for the updates....I tried the local Chester League website, but that only showed last years Congress results...no doubt that will be updated in due course.
BRING BACK THE BCF

Sean Hewitt

Post by Sean Hewitt » Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:02 pm

Steve Lloyd wrote:The new time control of 110 minutes + 10 seconds/move was interesting. I wouldn't mind seeing it used again in other events.
We use that time control at all our Minors. 90 mins + 30 secs for Open and Major.

Steve Lloyd

Post by Steve Lloyd » Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:38 pm

Sean will you be running congresses in Warrington and Runcorn again this year?

Steve Lloyd

Post by Steve Lloyd » Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:45 pm

David Pardoe wrote:Thanks for the updates....I tried the local Chester League website, but that only showed last years Congress results...no doubt that will be updated in due course.
I've yet to receive any report regarding results, though no doubt it will be identical to the one published on the ECF site.

Sean Hewitt

Post by Sean Hewitt » Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:00 am

Bob Clark wrote:
Steve Lloyd wrote:Sean will you be running congresses in Warrington and Runcorn again this year?
Unfortunately Steve I think the answer to this one will be No.
If more locals had entered last years tournaments then maybe they would have been continued.
A shame really as the playing conditions at Warrington and Runcorn were far superior to the venue at Frodsham.
Bob's correct. We had 115 players at Warrington (which was ok, albeit still our smallest evet) but only 75 at Runcorn which is far from ok. So whilst Warrington might be possible sometime in the future we won't be rushing back. Runcorn certainly won't happen again.

I don't like to admit defeat though so I am going to look at another Cheshire venue at the weekend which would be a November event. But if that doesn't get people out and playing then that would be it for us in the North. It would mean that the playing conditions and prize funds we offer add no value to the local scene, it which case there is no point continuing. There are plenty of events for players to play.

David Pardoe

Post by David Pardoe » Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:28 pm

Sean,
I`d like to think that Warrington indicated that there is fair interest in your events...
Timing is key, as is trying to avoid big clashes with other events (not easy), and of course good publicity and support.
I feel that we `Northerners` are a canny bunch (watch pennies), and wont pay out for Hotels, etc unless they have to...but I recognise the quality of the venues & events is good and definately merits support. And the room discounts are not bad, so hopefully those travelling will sign up. Good publicity across the North & Midlands + Birmingham & London....I`m sure you already do a lot.
I`ll also just say that your Warrington attendance figure rates well against many of our other congress attendances...but I think it could pick up once it got properly established. Next time, I suggest you contact all the main Northern Congress organisors (including Rapidplay events), and ask them to circulate there respective mailing lists. Shared mailing lists Im sure could help boost attendances.
Also, ask for suggested dates, and possibly dates to avoid...I`m not sure that November is your best bet. Ask the 4NCL Northern captains what they think & if they would support such an event & circulate info.. Might also be worth contacting northern county captains to get them to comment and circulate relevant info....
I think its worth focussing on the lower-end players, ie, those in the ungraded up to ECF125 category. Thats where the numbers are...and you`ve got to play the numbers game. Its not easy. Maybe an invitation to the Manchester Evening News might not go amiss (and Lancashire Post + Yorkshire Post). If they were to put out an information notice about 2 or 3 weeks before hand, and were to show up and take some pictures, reports, etc....including Grand Masters present (one of two of those always adds interest). I`ll give you a contact if you let me know for the MEN.
Could you get some sponsorship...maybe from CIS Insurance, a Bank, or Building Society..or Supermarket group. Even £500 - £1000 would be useful...again, not easy. Offer some promotions....
BRING BACK THE BCF

Sean Hewitt

Post by Sean Hewitt » Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:05 pm

David Pardoe wrote:I feel that we `Northerners` are a canny bunch (watch pennies), and wont pay out for Hotels, etc unless they have to
In which case, to put it bluntly, the e2e4 model does not work in the north.

David Pardoe

Post by David Pardoe » Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:34 pm

That depends on how many entrants actually travel to an event...involving meaningful travel distance.
eg, I live in North West area...I`d never dream of booking an hotel room if the venue was Manchester, or within say a 30 -40 mile radius.....but coming from further afield I`d certainly consider a smart hotel with a decent discount eg, for the 4NCL at Crewe I took the ovenight stay even though it was only an hour & 20mins travel time.
Similarly, if I lived in say Basingstoke, I wouldnt dream of booking an hotel if the venue was, say, Reading....would you.

What I`m really saying is that your events would probably encourage a good level of take-up because they are quality venues......thats a message that needs to be conveyed. Maybe your (possible...) Cheshire location would be more conducive to this.
Certainly the Barcelo at Harrogate was an attractive spot recently for 4NCL Northern matches, and was well booked.
Right location, price & date......and good marketing.
But you may have a point that in more prosperous areas these things might be easier to get off the ground.

You`ll note the other thread talking about `Death of a Congress` recently....
It does require a good deal of effort and preparation to get these things off the ground, and many organisors battle seriously to ensure good support. Part of this is about having a good team of supporters (and activists..) who can help with the organisation and running of things.
So the message for players is this...dont just turn up at your club and play league/club/friendly matches...do make an effort to support the wider picture & activities in your area. Dont just `spectate`....get involved....help to make things happen.
One point that organisors need to be wary about is `complacancy`, for want of a better expression.
ie, they successfully get up & running and establish a well supported congress...only to see numbers gradually drift.
Ensuring that you keep an up-to-date target audience/group is important, otherwise things can drift.
Similarly, in todays busy world, its very easy for these events to get `lost` in the noise. ie, people need to be reminded that events are taking place (and encouraged to support them), least they forget. Hence, publicity & a good network of contacts I think is important.
Having said this, there is another obligation (and important realisation) on local clubs, players and chess oganisations to support local congresses...to avoid the `Use it or lose it` trap. Local players/chess organisations need to realise the importance of having good local chess events on there doorstep. These can save players lots of money and reduce travelling & accomodation costs, and time... compared to having to travel `away` to other areas.
Providing these platforms of chess playing opportunities is a key part of encouraging chess development, which brings on and encourages future generations of players. Its important to stress that such events (quite often) will cater for players of all standards...so lesser graded players of all ages and standards have the chance to participate, and maybe even win a prize.
BRING BACK THE BCF