Surrey Easter

Results of competitions with tables, or as much detail as is possible.
Roger de Coverly

Re: Surrey Easter

Post by Roger de Coverly » Mon May 30, 2011 10:31 pm

Paul Dupré wrote:All games now posted on the Surrey Congress website, including an amazing get out of check by ignoring it game...what are you supposed to do ?
Are the game files available as normal *.pgn for download?

(as for example http://www.e2e4.org.uk/sunningdale/May2 ... rnd_01.pgn)

Paul Dupré

Post by Paul Dupré » Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:30 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Are the game files available as normal *.pgn for download?

(as for example http://www.e2e4.org.uk/sunningdale/May2 ... rnd_01.pgn)
Yes, soon. First I want to standardise the heading data, anyway thanks for reminding me Roger. Any ideas welcome.

Maybe from
[Event "34th Surrey Chess Congress"]
[Site "Sutton ENG"]

To
[Event "Surrey Congress open"]
[Site "Cheam ENG"]
Any postings on here represent the truth, and nothing but the truth, so help me God,
...and by the way the world is flat.

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:42 pm

It'd be better to have 34th in the title. If not, your players who play through the games might confuse the 35th with the 34th when you input all of next year's games.

Paul Dupré

Post by Paul Dupré » Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:13 pm

OK Alex, but how do I differentiate between open and major - as we have 2 FIDE rated events. When I designed the database VBA code to produce the PGN text file we only had the open. Now we also have the major. I must have manually edited the PGN files in previous years. That's why it says '32nd Surrey - Major' on this page. Since then I haven't bothered.

I personally think the date tells you which event/year it is - that should be enough.

What about [Site "Cheam ENG"] ? That would be more accurate than Sutton, which is where our old venue was.
Any postings on here represent the truth, and nothing but the truth, so help me God,

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:37 pm

You could use either: 35th Surrey Congress - Open; or 35th Surrey Congress - Major

I don't think PGN has a [Section "Open"] or [Section "Major"] tag, which would solve the problem!

I'd probably put in [Site "Cheam, Surrey ENG"].

Paul Dupré

Post by Paul Dupré » Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:52 pm

Alex Holowczak wrote:You could use either: 35th Surrey Congress - Open; or 35th Surrey Congress - Major
Both too long for the game viewer. Also, the board numbers are partially hidden...maybe I should remove them as well.

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Sat Jun 04, 2011 9:03 am

I don't think it matters so much about the game viewer. If you're on the Surrey Chess Congress website, on a page entitled "FIDE Major Games", I'm sure most people could work what they're looking at even if the name of the event doesn't quite fit. If you want a permanent record to appear in Britbase, for example, then stating the number of the congress would be a good idea, and adding the section name is probably a good idea but not essential.

Ian Thompson

Post by Ian Thompson » Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:59 am

Alex Holowczak wrote:If you want a permanent record to appear in Britbase, for example, then stating the number of the congress would be a good idea, and adding the section name is probably a good idea but not essential.
I disagree. The congress number is unimportant because you have a date on the event and the games. The section name is very important so you don't end up having all the Open and Major games in one ChessBase tournament if you import both files into your database.

Paul Dupré

Post by Paul Dupré » Sat Jun 04, 2011 2:40 pm

Ian Thompson wrote:
Alex Holowczak wrote:If you want a permanent record to appear in Britbase, for example, then stating the number of the congress would be a good idea, and adding the section name is probably a good idea but not essential.
I disagree. The congress number is unimportant because you have a date on the event and the games. The section name is very important so you don't end up having all the Open and Major games in one ChessBase tournament if you import both files into your database.
Thanks Ian, I thought I was right. I will change all [Event "34th Surrey Chess Congress"] to [Event "Surrey Congress open"] and [Event "Surrey Congress major"] respectively. And, make them all available for download asap.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Sat Jun 04, 2011 3:27 pm

Ian Thompson wrote:. The congress number is unimportant because you have a date on the event and the games
Once the Congress count gets to a high number, you forget the sequence count and refer to it by year. You've already got the date with the game, so just Surrey Open or Surrey Major suffices. I suppose everyone does call it Surrey and not Sutton? If you were referring to the context of a game, you would probably write something like "the 2009 Surrey Open".