Surrey Easter

Results of competitions with tables, or as much detail as is possible.
James Pratt

Surrey Easter

Post by James Pratt » Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:59 am

I have visited the Surrey Congress site but can't see all the prizewinners listed; lists and pairings but no final scores. Help please. :|

James Pratt
BCM ET

Mike Gunn

Re: Surrey Easter

Post by Mike Gunn » Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:04 am

I'll do a list by midnight (Thursday).

LozCooper

Post by LozCooper » Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:07 am

James Pratt wrote:I have visited the Surrey Congress site but can't see all the prizewinners listed; lists and pairings but no final scores. Help please. :|

James Pratt
BCM ET
List of prizes-

Open
1st GM Simon Williams Drunken Knights 5.5/6 £500
=2nd IM Tom Rendle 4.5 £175
Peter Roberson 4.5 £175

British Championship qualifier and u18 trophy– Peter Lalic

Major U180
1st Alan Hayward Streatham 5 £200
=2nd Richard Bryant Chester 4.5 £75
Rahda Jain 4.5 £75
Under 14 trophy - Tharshan Kuhendiran Burlington Junior
Hawson Cup ( best performance by Senior +60 in Congress) – Alan Hayward

Intermediate U150
1st Peter Horlock 5 £150
=2nd Pat Twomey 4.5 £75
Jeff Fleischer 4.5 £75

Challengers U120
1st Domenico Amabile 5 £75
2nd Ayse Karel 4.5 £50
=3rd Jack Laurence £12.50
James Wallman £12.50

Rapidplay
Open
1st David Graham 5/6 £100
2nd Tumen Buyandalai 4.5 £37.50
Peter Lalic 4.5 £37.50
Grading prizes
Albert Yiamakis 4 £25
Richard Edwards/Paul Dupre/Jasper Tambini/Pat Twomey/Emil Todorow 3.5 £5 each

Under 130
1st Raghu Sankaranarayanan (ug) 5.5 £33.33
=2nd Yang-Jian Zhou /Marcelino Sulatra 4.5 £37.50
Grading prizes
U90 John Sprackett 3.5 £25
U65 John McGrath 3.5 £25

Regards
Mike Adams
Congress Director

Mike Gunn

Post by Mike Gunn » Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:15 am

Oh, good, I don't need to!

Paul Dupré

Post by Paul Dupré » Mon May 16, 2011 3:12 pm

All results on Congress Website

All Games from the Open are now up...
Any postings on here represent the truth, and nothing but the truth, so help me God,
...and by the way the world is flat.

Paul Dupré

Post by Paul Dupré » Tue May 17, 2011 11:10 am

Started on Major games...rounds 1 & 2 are complete.
Any postings on here represent the truth, and nothing but the truth, so help me God,

Paul Dupré

Post by Paul Dupré » Wed May 18, 2011 2:40 pm

Just completed Major - Round 4...

Illegibility has slowed me down inputting the games...does anyone know of a rule we can invoke to force players to write more clearly.

Ian Thompson

Post by Ian Thompson » Wed May 18, 2011 3:07 pm

Paul Dupré wrote:Illegibility has slowed me down inputting the games...does anyone know of a rule we can invoke to force players to write more clearly.
Yes - FIDE Rule 8.1:

"In the course of play each player is required to record his own moves and those of his opponent in the correct manner, move after move, as clearly and legibily as possible, in the algebraic notation (See Appendix C), on the scoresheet prescribed for the competition."

What I can't help you with is finding an arbiter who would enforce this rule.

E Michael White

Post by E Michael White » Wed May 18, 2011 3:39 pm

Ian Thompson wrote:Yes - FIDE Rule 8.1:"In the course of play each player is required to record his own moves and those of his opponent in the correct manner, move after move, as clearly and legibily as possible, in the algebraic notation (See Appendix C), on the scoresheet prescribed for the competition."What I can't help you with is finding an arbiter who would enforce this rule.
Which puts the arbiter in breach of rule :-
  • FIDE 13.1 The arbiter shall see that the Laws of Chess are strictly observed
If this is considered serious enough the Director of Home Chess needs to act under :-

ECF Regulation No 3. The Arbiters and Coaches Regulations

1. Arbiters.....
  • (f) All such appointments (ECF Arbiters) are subject of the right of the Director of Home Chess to suspend an Arbiter from entitlement to such appointment with immediate effect or to revoke such appointment at any time for good cause. Good cause shall include but not be limited to:
    (i) ...
    (ii) ...
    (iii) Failure to perform his or her duties in an impartial and responsible manner; or
    (iv) Any conduct likely to injure or discredit the reputation of ECF, its events, organisers, participants or sponsors.

LozCooper

Post by LozCooper » Wed May 18, 2011 4:10 pm

Ian Thompson wrote:
Paul Dupré wrote:Illegibility has slowed me down inputting the games...does anyone know of a rule we can invoke to force players to write more clearly.
Yes - FIDE Rule 8.1:

"In the course of play each player is required to record his own moves and those of his opponent in the correct manner, move after move, as clearly and legibily as possible, in the algebraic notation (See Appendix C), on the scoresheet prescribed for the competition."

What I can't help you with is finding an arbiter who would enforce this rule.
"as clearly and legibly as possible" seems to allow for a broad interpretation. When I've done game inputting for various tournaments I find that incorrect notation is a bigger problem than handwriting, especially as you have a choice of two scoresheets. If two pieces can go to the same square it's not always apparant until you've played several more moves which is correct.

E Michael White

Post by E Michael White » Wed May 18, 2011 4:24 pm

LozCooper wrote:"as clearly and legibly as possible" seems to allow for a broad interpretation.
Well you should be able to read the move easily. What do you think should happen following a failure to enforce this rule in this situation :-

Player A has less than 5 minutes, so is not writing down his moves.
Player B has 20 so is recording the moves.
The arbiter notices B is writing quickly and illegibily but decides to do nothing.

After about 25 moves without writing down the moves A claims a draw by repetition of position where the 3 positions are spread over about 15 moves. B's scoresheet cannot be read clearly so the repetition cannot be verified.

Wouldnt it have been smarter for the abiter to have warned B to tell him to write more clearly before this happened. Sloppy arbiting needs to be discouraged; how can we expect the game to be taken seriously when arbiters dont act in accordance with the rules.

Rob Thompson

Post by Rob Thompson » Wed May 18, 2011 4:39 pm

I'd think that awarding the draw anyway if it looks plausible, even if this just as a 'punishment' for the illegible writing, would be the most sensible way to go
True glory lies in doing what deserves to be written; in writing what deserves to be read.

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Wed May 18, 2011 5:11 pm

Paul Dupré wrote:Illegibility has slowed me down inputting the games...
Preaching to the choir...

Paul Dupré

Post by Paul Dupré » Wed May 18, 2011 9:08 pm

All games now posted on the Surrey Congress website, including an amazing get out of check by ignoring it game...what are you supposed to do ?

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Wed May 18, 2011 10:42 pm

Paul Dupré wrote:All games now posted on the Surrey Congress website, including an amazing get out of check by ignoring it game...what are you supposed to do ?
I just cull the game short when there's an illegal move, explaining the illegality. I then leave it there to haunt the players involved forever. :D

You could complete the game with another file, but I don't tend to bother. I get to the point where if the players are going to make my job difficult, they'll have to miss out on a few of the moves when it goes into a PGN.