Worcestershire Open

Results of competitions with tables, or as much detail as is possible.
raycollett

Worcestershire Open

Post by raycollett » Sun Jul 24, 2011 10:35 pm

Main results and pics are at
http://home.clara.net/collett/cong/11cong_r.htm
Full results will be published probably tomorrow evening

James Coleman

Re: Worcestershire Open

Post by James Coleman » Sun Jul 24, 2011 10:48 pm

I'm guessing "director Andrew Moore" is actually on the right and not the left in the top right pic since the other guy is playing off for the title in the other pic.

raycollett

Post by raycollett » Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:00 pm

James Coleman wrote:I'm guessing "director Andrew Moore" is actually on the right and not the left in the top right pic since the other guy is playing off for the title in the other pic.
Oops! Thanks for correction, now effected. Ray

Andrew Farthing

Post by Andrew Farthing » Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:50 pm

We had 118 entries for the congress, although there were several no-shows on the day, so the final number of competitors was nearer to 110. This was up on last year.

The headline results, as reported by Ray Collett on the Worcestershire Chess website http://home.clara.net/collett/cong/11cong_r.htm were:

Open
First: Pavel Besedin (Daugavpils, Latvia) winning the Worcestershire Open title in Armageddon play-offs against Tomasz Sygnowski (West Bromwich) both on 4½ points in standard play games. Third was Miroslav Gruca (Widnes). Ian Kingston (West Nottingham won the under-175 grading prize)

Major (under-160)
First: Richard Desmedt (Wombwell, Barnsley), Brendan O'Gorman (DHSS) and Dean Hartley (Amber Valley, Chesterfield) on 4 points. Ben Graff (Leamington) on 3 points won the under-150 grading prize. This was a repeat performance for Richard and Dean, who shared first in the U160 last year.

Intermediate (under-135)
James Friar and Joseph Friar (both Hagley) shared first prize on 4½ points. Tony Shaw (Malvern) was third on 4 points. Martin Hollan, one of a talented pair of young twins from Prague, won the under-125 grading prize.

Minor (under-115)
Matthew Trigg (Solihull) was first on 4½ points, followed by four players on 4: Paul Heeney (Mutual Circle,Kings Heath, Birmingham), Peter Brace (Spondon, Derby), Alan Fraser (Beckenham & Bromley, London), Giles Stanton (Redditch). Nine-year-old Jacob Boswell (Leek & Cheddleton, Staffs) won the under-105 grading prize.

I am delighted to report that the congress raised enough funds through entry fees and the players' generous donations - well over fifty added a donation along with their entry fee - for us to be able to donate £650 to this year's designated charity, Age Concern Sandwell. My thanks to all of the players for their contribution.

Thanks also to CCF Mindgames for providing the equipment and bookstall and to my co-organiser, Andrew Moore, who controlled the Open section, and his fellow controllers Alan Ruffle, ably assisted by his wife Ann, Matthew Carr and Colin Reed, who handled the U160, U135 and U115 sections respectively. This left me free to wander around chatting to people, watch some games, and pretend that I was working. :D

The response to the event seemed very positive, and we plan to run the congress next year. As usual, it will be on the weekend adjacent to the start of the British Championships. We shall be looking to use the same venue at the University of Worcester - everyone who spoke to me at the weekend seemed very satisfied with the facilities.
Last edited by Andrew Farthing on Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ian Kingston

Post by Ian Kingston » Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:17 pm

I certainly enjoyed it - playing conditions were very good, on-site refreshments were excellent (Costa at student prices) and there was plenty of space for players to relax in away from the playing rooms Indoors and outdoors). It's an event that I'd be more than happy to go back to.

Andrew Farthing

Post by Andrew Farthing » Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:23 pm

Ian Kingston wrote:I certainly enjoyed it - playing conditions were very good, on-site refreshments were excellent (Costa at student prices) and there was plenty of space for players to relax in away from the playing rooms Indoors and outdoors). It's an event that I'd be more than happy to go back to.
Thanks, Ian. Your cheque(*) is in the post!

Andrew

(*) For the U175 Grading Prize, of course :)

Brendan O'Gorman

Post by Brendan O'Gorman » Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:29 pm

raycollett

Post by raycollett » Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:17 am

Brendan O'Gorman wrote:More pics here:
Hay, I really like the moody cathedral one!

raycollett

Post by raycollett » Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:18 am

Full results are now posted at:
http://home.clara.net/collett/cong/11cong_r.htm
Pics of three winners in the Minor have been added to the winners page.
Pictures of each of the four sections in play are now posted to the results page for the congress. Ray