35th Kidlington Chess Congress, 04.02.2012-05.02.2012

Results of competitions with tables, or as much detail as is possible.
Paul Sanders

Re: 35th Kidlington Chess Congress, 04.02.2012-05.02.2012

Post by Paul Sanders » Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:00 am

Peter D Williams wrote: Yes very well done by Willams Foo and to Marcus Harvery, Isaac Sanders.I wonder what help support is given to these 3 Junior players by ECF?
Isaac does not post here so thanks on his behalf. We do not ask for or expect practical help from the ECF, but I have found many ECF officers to be very generous with advice and information. It took me quite a long time to work out the structure of the ECF (not sure that I fully understand it now) and it became clear over time that it is completely impossible for a body with the ECF's constitution to do anything meaningful to develop chess at a national level.

That is not to say that the individuals who volunteer cannot have a very great and positive impact. Many clearly do. But it seems to me to happen often alongside or even despite the ECF, not as part of the normal daily functioning of the organisation.

I'd say there are three critical excellence tests of a national representative sport or activity organisation. In no particular order; how does it manage its national championships? is it fully and properly representing its nation internationally? and, how is it looking after its future through its junior programme?

Peter D Williams

Post by Peter D Williams » Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:58 am

Paul Sanders wrote:
Peter D Williams wrote: Yes very well done by Willams Foo and to Marcus Harvery, Isaac Sanders.I wonder what help support is given to these 3 Junior players by ECF?
Isaac does not post here so thanks on his behalf. We do not ask for or expect practical help from the ECF, but I have found many ECF officers to be very generous with advice and information. It took me quite a long time to work out the structure of the ECF (not sure that I fully understand it now) and it became clear over time that it is completely impossible for a body with the ECF's constitution to do anything meaningful to develop chess at a national level.

That is not to say that the individuals who volunteer cannot have a very great and positive impact. Many clearly do. But it seems to me to happen often alongside or even despite the ECF, not as part of the normal daily functioning of the organisation.

I'd say there are three critical excellence tests of a national representative sport or activity organisation. In no particular order; how does it manage its national championships? is it fully and properly representing its nation internationally? and, how is it looking after its future through its junior programme?
Thanks for your answer. Well done again to Isaac with no real help from the national body it is a fine achievement.
when you are successful many losers bark at you.

Peter D Williams

Post by Peter D Williams » Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:04 am

John McKenna wrote:Peter D. Williams >I do not think my question is in any way causing controversy. Not being involved in junior chess i just wondered what help support... get from the ECF?<
Hello Peter, I did not mean to imply that your question was the cause of any controversy. These days, however, there's a lot of controversy about regarding the ECF so they may be reluctant to reply to detailed questions on a public forum.
There's a new Junior Director, Phil Ehr, who can be contacted via the ECF website, you could ask him.
It is better to leave the new junior director to get on with his job in my view. I have nothing to do with junior chess so my views would be of no use Phil.

Thanks for your answers.

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:52 pm

You're welcome.

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:07 pm

You might be interested to know - if you don't already - that your question above was answered, in a comprehensive way, by Peter Turner in 'Congress Diary' under topic 'Re: Not sure Championship relevance?' (On Tue. Feb. 28 at 11:55 a.m.)

Peter D Williams

Post by Peter D Williams » Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:47 pm

John McKenna wrote:You might be interested to know - if you don't already - that your question above was answered, in a comprehensive way, by Peter Turner in 'Congress Diary' under topic 'Re: Not sure Championship relevance?' (On Tue. Feb. 28 at 11:55 a.m.)
I have just seen Peter Turner answer but i was not thinking of funds for juniors more what coaching or advice was given to players like Isaac.

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:46 pm

Peter D Williams wrote:
John McKenna wrote:You might be interested to know - if you don't already - that your question above was answered, in a comprehensive way, by Peter Turner in 'Congress Diary' under topic 'Re: Not sure Championship relevance?' (On Tue. Feb. 28 at 11:55 a.m.)
I have just seen Peter Turner answer but i was not thinking of funds for juniors more what coaching or advice was given to players like Isaac.
I am happy to offer advice about tournaments and coaches when asked and am happy for anyone to contact me, adult or junior. If I can help I will.

Peter D Williams

Post by Peter D Williams » Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:52 pm

LawrenceCooper wrote:
Peter D Williams wrote:
I am happy to offer advice about tournaments and coaches when asked and am happy for anyone to contact me, adult or junior. If I can help I will.
That is very useful to know Lawrence that you are willing to help all players with advice if you can.