4th Worcestershire Chess Open

Results of competitions with tables, or as much detail as is possible.
Andrew Farthing

4th Worcestershire Chess Open

Post by Andrew Farthing » Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:29 am

4th Worcestershire Open raises £900 for hospice

129 players took part in this year’s event over the weekend of 21-22 July, an increase of nearly 20% on last year.

The congress raised funds for a local charity, the St Richard’s Hospice in Worcester. Thanks to the record entry and the generosity of the players, many of whom added a donation with their entry, an amazing total of £900 was raised for the hospice. Four players also donated all or some of their prize money to the charity. The prizes were presented by Tricia Cavell, Fundraising Director, St Richard’s Hospice.

Results (5 rounds):

OPEN:
1st Richard Jones (Nidum) 5 points
2nd = Pavel Besedin (Worcester City); Chris Briscoe (Surbiton); Martin Cutmore (Wood Green) 4 points

Grading prize (166-180): John Jarmany (Cockermouth) 3 points
Grading prize (165 or lower): Ian Ponter (Downend) 3½ points

MAJOR (U160):

1st Jerry Hendy 4½ points
2nd Andrew Price (Leamington) 4 points
3rd = Richard Desmedt (Wombwell); John Knee (Malvern); Nigel Towers (Redditch); Ian Truscott (Greenlands) 3½ points

Grading prize (141-150): John Knee
Grading prize (140 or lower): Ian Truscott

Junior prize: Shared by James and Joseph Friar (both Hagley/Kidderminster) 3 points

INTERMEDIATE (U135):

1st Stephen Katona (Hereford) 4 points
2nd= Rhys Bennett (Newport); Raymond Hunt (Bognor); Richard Leaper (Westminster, Birmingham); Roger Walker (Belper); Dan Waller; Brian Woodard (Isle of Man) 3½ points

Grading prize (125 or lower): Brian Woodard

Junior prize: James Evans (Upper Killay) 2½ points

MINOR (U115):

1st Stephen Crockett (Redditch) 4½ points
2nd= Irina Amelkina (Redditch); Lee Bullock (Hackney/Coulsdon); Charlie McLaren (Musketeers); Rob Sutton (Worcester City) 4 points

Grading prize (93-105): Lee Bullock
Grading prize (140 or lower): Sam Beardmore (Cheddleton/Leek) 3 points

Junior prize: Felicity Parker (King Edwards School) 3½ points

Stephen Crockett, who very generously donated his £100 first prize to the St Richard’s Hospice, was also presented with the trophy and prize money for winning the MCCU Rapidplay Grand Prix.

I would like to thank my co-organiser, Andrew Moore and the rest of the tournament control team, Alan and Ann Ruffle, Kevin Markey, Colin Reed and Katie Smith, plus webmaster Ray Collett. All of them volunteered their time and effort free of charge, and I am sure I speak for all of the players in passing on my sincere appreciation.

Andrew Farthing

Ian Kingston

Re: 4th Worcestershire Chess Open

Post by Ian Kingston » Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:50 pm

And I would like to thank Andrew and his team for putting on another excellent event.

I'd especially like to thank whoever it was that went out and bought a supply of mineral water for the players on Sunday afternoon. That was a nice touch.

Brendan O'Gorman

Post by Brendan O'Gorman » Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:51 am

Brendan O'Gorman

Post by Brendan O'Gorman » Tue Jul 24, 2012 3:09 pm

Photo link above now corrected :oops: