How can the ECF help congresses thrive?

Results of competitions with tables, or as much detail as is possible.
Gavin Strachan

ECF help congresses

Post by Gavin Strachan » Sat Apr 14, 2007 3:48 pm

Loss of the game fee would help but not significantly as most of the cost goes on prizes and hire of venue. Unfortunately, I feel that congresses have gone into a spiral trap of having to lower prize fees and raise entrances to cover running costs (which is understandable!). This in turn means that chess players locally may support an event, but those travelling great distances will be put off (why travel from one end of the country to the other, spend a fortune on entry, accomodation and travel when I may win £100 first prize in a competition).

I'm not sure how much interest lies in FIDE rating congresses, but from asking around, titled players seem less bothered than non-titled. The problem with FIDE rating over a weekend is mainly the time (4 hours required minimum per game). The requirement of membership of national federation regulation makes life a little awkward.

It is a touch ironic that the ECF is asking congress organisers what help we need. It seems that congress organisers are promoting chess by trying to find sponsors and support when that is a role that the ECF could really help. If the ECF promoted a positive, contemporary, relevant image of chess to potential sponsors who know nothing about the game and have the wrong impression this would help. When I was spoke to my local paper about the event, they had the completely wrong image of what chess was all about and could just about remember Nigel Short (forget Mikey Adams that was pushing it!)

Also, the ECF need to be more involved in the running of congresses offering greater support in the process of setting up, advertising, grading and general management of these large events. What makes a congress successful?? What attracts people to congresses?? How can we get more financial support for the game?? How can we improve advertising?? What are the pitfalls and traps of running a congress?? etc.

I understand that the ECF needs money and the Game Fee system, which is effectively a tax on the game, is the way they can get this, but the ECF should seeking ways in which they can help financially support events in return.

Sean Hewitt

Post by Sean Hewitt » Thu Jun 28, 2007 5:02 pm

Scrapping game fee would certainly be a start. Personally I would like to see a viable membership scheme, although whether that will be delivered in the near future is debateable. If it isn't, then how about replacing congress game fee (which is a tax on playing chess), with a tax on a congress profit - ie x% of the profit?

There is nothing more annoying have run a weekend congress that has ost £200 to then have to send another ton to the ECF for their chess prevention tax! Its not quite so bad when you've made money!

KMcCarthy

Congress Help

Post by KMcCarthy » Thu Jun 28, 2007 11:28 pm

New congresses could get relief on game fees in early years of a congress ...particularly in chess backwaters (like Lincs) to encourage start ups.

How about some experienced officials to be available to advise on logistics/planning/costing/advertising etc

I did my first one last August and it was like groping around in the dark with absolutely no help/advice - a loss was made ...as expected..and fees still charged.

This year thanks maybe to the profile locally of Pandoras in NCL/Junior coaching and the rapidplay last year we have a sponsor and new venue - but that is lucky nd not a widespread phenomenon

Maybe instead of pouring thousands into the 'select few' for foreign tournaments and to pay conditions to our own players to play in UK tournaments the ECF should try and allocate more funds to those who work incredily hard, usually at their own expense, to develop local chess and keep congresses running.
Sharks 4NCL

David Pardoe

Re: How can the ECF help congresses thrive?

Post by David Pardoe » Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:32 pm

See the latest report from Mick Norris on the Manchester Rapidplay...they actually had so many entries, they closed one section...(The Minor..)!!! Rapidplays are quite popular....
Yes, good sponsors and good venue counts a lot.....and a team of organisors who can run the event....controllers/arbitors/finance/Admin, etc.... Do we need a drive to encourage more new arbitors...?
For intending organisors....get good local chess contacts...a good network....with good email/web contacts....involve the local County Association/league organisors/webmasters to advise and help spread the publicity & advise on general organisation & help regarding equipment supply, etc...
Do hold face to face meetings with all key parties involved where possible.....discuss ideas and issues..... decide strategy/objectives...get agreement on actions...allow views to be expressed and discussed.
Have a look at a number of leaflets on Congresses/Rapidplays, to see what formats to try.....there are a variety of bells a whistles/options to apply, eg to entry fees, prizes, rules/restrictions, sections, number of rounds/timing, etc...
I cant stress enough the value of good publicity....and backing up web publicity with emailshots.to county bodies, clubs, players, etc... And its important to send reminders....certainly 2 weeks prior to the event.....many players overlook events due to the distraction of other things in our busy world.. And to ask that the message be passed on...email does help greatly, at times.
Yes, for the big national events involve the ECF.... Incidentally, I`m not in favour of a separate English Championships...but do strongly approve of awarding an English Championship at the `British`...would like to see the British returned to a wider participation of internationals.
Watch the intended Congress date doesnt clash with other major events that might overshadow it.... this is not easy....
I do wonder if one thing the ECF could do might be to try to put more structure into the plethora of chess events that take place....but the biggest issue I do believe is getting the message out...creating an event that makes players feel they would like to come back again... Its not all about prizes.....remember, not everyone can win a prize...
Note carefully..... I do believe that having an attractive `beginners section`...whatever you call it, is key...eg, U90 section, with junior and other grading prizes...maybe even a local schools prizes....and contact local schools and colleges...maybe even apply for support under the John Robertson fund toward the event (thats another way the ECF might help....and they get payback if your event is successful...so mutual benefits..!!!
My point here is that the largest representative body of active players comes from the U100 group..down to beginner level....as you rise up the rankings, there is naturally going to be fewer players...so a big Minor section is generally important, and helps balance and support the whole event..... the `novices` get some benefit and added interest from being able to see the `masters` at work....this gives your tournament added gloss.....you might even spot some good moves...!
It is very important to stress that your event caters for all categories of player...beginner to expert (or whatever level..).
Do invite your local press to take pictures...and to produce reports for media and local or major websites....players do like to see a bit of publicity...and a mention if they happen to get lucky and win a prize!!

British Chess at all levels has failed to sell itself over the years......thats a big reason why memberships have declined, in my view. And too many people lean on the ECF/BCF, instead of getting off there ass and doing something.
I remember my old school report...not the mad house of stats they produce today....it simply said...`Could do better if he tried...!`
......too few players take it upon themselves to volunteer to assist with the admin/organisation...my strong advice to all players is to consider this...next time you hear about an upcoming AGM, whether at club, league, county, national...try to go along and find out what is going on...get an agenda....and volunteer for a post, if you think you can help...its not rocket science (ask for more information).....running most of these things is easy (I jest slightly..), it does require a bit of time and committment. But many organisations are crying out for helpers to fill posts...just ordinary folk to give a little of there time to keep the wheels turning....and also to ensure that any jokers who might be up to mischief are kept in order......do raise issues that you think need addressing, in a constructive and friendly manner. Hostilities can be raised unnecesarily at times by careless actions.
Let there be piece...or is it peace!
BRING BACK THE BCF

Matt Harrison

Post by Matt Harrison » Thu Mar 05, 2009 6:18 pm

Produce a congress organisers website.
Integrated calendar of events
Online entry and credit card payments system
Online results (live) database for use by all congresses, would also do pairings etc.
Discounted game fee for participation in this database (as money will be flowing the other way, no game fee debtors).
Build in community features - eg players write brief reports on their experiences, upload notable games, blogs etc.

David Pardoe

Post by David Pardoe » Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:28 pm

EFFECTIVE Networking is important....to pick up on previous points..
Organisors should find all the major chess websites across there region, and contact the webmasters to ask for publicity for there congress event.....by this, I mean all those within a radius of about 100 miles or so.
Maybe the ECF should create a database of these websites...with ratings/comments.
Another option is to contact all the bigger chess leagues within the same radius....ask if they could email all the club secretaries and captains to publicise your congress....and asking them to forward to there respective chess club mailing lists.
Congress organisors should also contact fellow Congress organisors and ask if they could e-mailshot there lists....if only to ask players if they are interested in recieving such e-mailshots...most players are glad to receive information about local chess events. But do make some effort to `sell` your congress...whether it be a super venue, like the magnificant Oldway Mansion at Paignton, or that excellent venue at Grange-over Sands, which hosts the Lakes Congress...or the English Seniors event at picturesque Ashbourne in Derbyshire. The ISAAC WALTON hotel, i THINK.
I`d like to see a database of drivers willing to car share....that could save players a fortune in travel costs.
My other suggestion is a multiple congress pass...say costing £100, which would allow players to enter any congress of there choice during that season. (Might need to apply some restrictions to cover/exclude special events..). Such a pass would mean that any player going to more than half a dozen congresses would be getting a discount...very attractive, and the ECF could create a congress database of participating congresses, taking perhaps 10% of proceeds instead of charging a game fee....and paying out the rest to the particapating congresses..... Maybe you could have a 10% junior subsidy from the John Robinson Fund.... This might even form part a new style MO scheme, with other ECF benefits....!
Last but not least...on this website is a section for Forthcoming Congresses...and for Congress results..... [/u][/b] USE THESE ....many dont.....? Get those reports out. Players can play a part here in mentioning congreses they have enjoyed.....with a few notes and results......just like I did for Frodsham not long ago.
I see no mention of Leek Congress..held earlier this month...or results....Roger Edwards (or others..)...are you listening. I hear that went quite well this year, with good levels of entry to the three sections.
Too many of our organisors are (apparently..?) sitting waiting for the next Bobby Fischer, to reawaken to world once again to chess....we need a much more pro-active, `can do` approach.
Talking of which...I see that Round two of the gargantuin `K v K` challenge series is underway in Spain/Portugal.....is that not exciting.....?? Better than watching blinkin neighbours on the box surely. Some people even watch Darts....? Whats the world coming to.... And dont mention `Come Dancing`.......GOAD save us....
Time Celeberity Chess replaced Celeberity Golf....plenty of highlights and analysis, and general chat/backgroud info.....
Ray Keene & Bill Hartston did a great job some while back with a World Championship match.... And the Master class GM event was good too. Now that we have about 10 million players on the web, and chess literacy is rising steadily...I`m sure that a well presented chess programme would go down successfully....and helpful if some of our chess organisations got a mention.
BRING BACK THE BCF

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:56 pm

David Pardoe wrote: Maybe you could have a 10% junior subsidy from the John Robinson Fund.... This might even form part a new style MO scheme, with other ECF benefits....![/quit]

Juniors always tend to get reduced entry anyway, so I'm not sure that's much of an issue.
David Pardoe wrote: Last but not least...on this website is a section for Forthcoming Congresses...and for Congress results..... [/u][/b] USE THESE ....many dont.....? Get those reports out. Players can play a part here in mentioning congreses they have enjoyed.....with a few notes and results......just like I did for Frodsham not long ago.
I see no mention of Leek Congress..held earlier this month...or results....Roger Edwards (or others..)...are you listening. I hear that went quite well this year, with good levels of entry to the three sections.
I've got to agree that congress organisers seem very willing to advertise their events on the ECF website, but not so keen to show the results of them. Lawrence Cooper does a great job with posting International results of all English players abroad, so I don't see why a similar thing for national chess can't operate, particularly when graded games will be sent in from various Congresses and Leagues. It shouldn't be too difficult to work out 1st, 2nd and 3rd in each section. That'd be a big improvement.

Neill Cooper

Post by Neill Cooper » Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:27 pm

Alex Holowczak wrote:I've got to agree that congress organisers seem very willing to advertise their events on the ECF website, but not so keen to show the results of them.
I sent some results in last week on the ECF website and they have not appeared.
It is clear how to submit an event, but not how to submit results. All I could find was the 'contact' form.

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:58 pm

Neill Cooper wrote:
Alex Holowczak wrote:I've got to agree that congress organisers seem very willing to advertise their events on the ECF website, but not so keen to show the results of them.
I sent some results in last week on the ECF website and they have not appeared.

It is clear how to submit an event, but not how to submit results. All I could find was the 'contact' form.
Put them here in the Congress Results section and Google will be happy to pick them up :)
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:54 pm

Neill Cooper wrote:I sent some results in last week on the ECF website and they have not appeared.

It'd be interesting to know how many Congress organisers send their results in, and indeed, whether the website publishes them at all.
Carl Hibbard wrote:Put them here in the Congress Results section and Google will be happy to pick them up :)
Surely there should be something official though? If I can find fairly detailed scorecards of a cricket match between Kent and Sussex at Canterbury in 1844 on Cricinfo (what a game, by the way), why can't I find out the top 3 in the 2009 Uxbridge Congress, a tournament with ~ 10 FIDE titled players in, on the ECF website? There's not even a link to the brilliant website that has been created, which has had those results documented within half an hour of the end of the tournament.

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Tue Sep 22, 2009 6:50 am

Alex Holowczak wrote:
Neill Cooper wrote:Surely there should be something official though? If I can find fairly detailed scorecards of a cricket match between Kent and Sussex at Canterbury in 1844 on Cricinfo (what a game, by the way), why can't I find out the top 3 in the 2009 Uxbridge Congress, a tournament with ~ 10 FIDE titled players in, on the ECF website? There's not even a link to the brilliant website that has been created, which has had those results documented within half an hour of the end of the tournament.
The standard template on the ECF site is a bit of a mess to be honest however at least Andrew over there is having a go at the webmaster job but clearly needs some time to become familiar with the CMS software in question
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

LozCooper

Post by LozCooper » Wed Sep 23, 2009 5:25 pm

Alex Holowczak wrote:
Neill Cooper wrote:I sent some results in last week on the ECF website and they have not appeared.

It'd be interesting to know how many Congress organisers send their results in, and indeed, whether the website publishes them at all.
Carl Hibbard wrote:Put them here in the Congress Results section and Google will be happy to pick them up :)
Surely there should be something official though? If I can find fairly detailed scorecards of a cricket match between Kent and Sussex at Canterbury in 1844 on Cricinfo (what a game, by the way), why can't I find out the top 3 in the 2009 Uxbridge Congress, a tournament with ~ 10 FIDE titled players in, on the ECF website? There's not even a link to the brilliant website that has been created, which has had those results documented within half an hour of the end of the tournament.
I covered the open in my weekly round-up of international news and provided a link to the website but I agree that it should appear elsewhere on the site with details of prize winners from the non-international events.

benedgell

Post by benedgell » Thu Sep 24, 2009 12:22 pm

I'm very much interested in helping congresses gain more publicity. If you 'cc' my email address into any congress results' email you send directly to the ECF office, I'll see if I can help.

[email protected]

As far as possible, although having been in London with the Design Festival for the last week I haven't been able to thus far, I'm going to make a point of emailing each and every congress on the Monday after they finish, and then calling the organiser if I don't hear back inside a few days.