4th 4NCL FIDE Rated Congress

Results of competitions with tables, or as much detail as is possible.
Mike Truran

4th 4NCL FIDE Rated Congress

Post by Mike Truran » Mon Sep 14, 2015 3:52 pm

Results are on the 4NCL website.

David Pardoe

Re: 4th 4NCL FIDE Rated Congress

Post by David Pardoe » Wed Sep 16, 2015 11:07 am

Hi Mike...
Good event at Bolton....but disappointing entries in the Minor section..
I`m wondering if players did not realise that the Minor section was in fact NOT FIDE rated....

It might be worth considering putting a clause into your entries for these events to the effect that the organisers reserve the right to revise the prize funds or amend the sections depending on entry levels...not easy.

Its a tricky time of year for chess, with many players just emerging from a summer recess and returning from holidays etc.. not to mention the other demands on time, Congress clashes, and of course, the Man U v Liverpool match... a very big fixture.

...And not forgetting The Great North Run....finishing on the coast at South Shields... a terrific event on the Sunday...57,000 runners...and with brilliant sunshine... the North East Coast had a great day.... well worth a visit to explore this hidden gem.
And I should also mention the fabulous air display on the sea front afterwards, when the Red Arrows delivered a 20 minute spectacular, as the visitors enjoyed there Ice Creams and coffees at Minchella`s famous parlours....
Much work has been done to improve the area for visitors, and a walk along the front on a sunny day is a treat....the beaches are top notch.

Talking of which....another great chess event takes place this coming weekend.... ie, The Northumberland Congress details of which are on the ECF Calendar
Last edited by David Pardoe on Thu Sep 17, 2015 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
BRING BACK THE BCF

Michael Farthing

Post by Michael Farthing » Wed Sep 16, 2015 11:50 am

I did consider this congress but it came hard on the heels of both the Prague summer congress and Leyland. However, I think David has a point. For more lowly graded players such as myself both '4NCL' and 'FIDE' send out the signal "this one's not for you". I am not suggesting there is any intent to send such a message - it just does!

Jon Mahony

Post by Jon Mahony » Wed Sep 16, 2015 3:42 pm

I really enjoyed this one :wink:

No in all seriousness, great event, nice room and surroundings, can't wait for the next one.
"When you see a good move, look for a better one!" - Lasker

Michael Farthing

Post by Michael Farthing » Wed Sep 16, 2015 4:06 pm

Ah! I knew there was another reason not to attend - couldn't face another humiliating defeat at your hands, Jon.

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Wed Sep 16, 2015 4:20 pm

Jon Mahony wrote:I really enjoyed this one :wink:

No in all seriousness, great event, nice room and surroundings, can't wait for the next one.
Well done Jon, drinks on you :lol:
Any postings on here represent my personal views

IM Jack Rudd

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Wed Sep 16, 2015 5:46 pm

David Pardoe wrote:Hi Mike...
Good event at Bolton....but disappointing entries in the Minor section..
e2e4 used to have the same problem. There's probably something worth investigating there.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Thu Sep 17, 2015 10:57 am

David Pardoe wrote: I`m wondering if players did not realise that the Minor section was in fact NOT FIDE rated....
Why would Minor players mind if they happened to play five rated opponents and found themselves with a FIDE rating? I can see that they might not be very interested, but what's the downside?
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Thu Sep 17, 2015 11:00 am

NickFaulks wrote:I can see that they might not be very interested, but what's the downside?
Higher ECF membership fees.

MartinCarpenter

Post by MartinCarpenter » Thu Sep 17, 2015 11:24 am

Especially perhaps given that a good number of the potential catchment for the minor - from Yorkshire - won't actually be ECF members at all.
(Which the minor actually seems to cater for in very sensible manner mind. Just whether they think to look in the first place.).

I can see that the 4NCL brand might be off putting to weaker players in the north - not many of them play in it (may change with 3N all northern.). You'd think it might be different down south. Hardly like division 4 is a universally massive standard :)

Michael Farthing

Post by Michael Farthing » Thu Sep 17, 2015 11:30 am

NickFaulks wrote:
David Pardoe wrote: I`m wondering if players did not realise that the Minor section was in fact NOT FIDE rated....
Why would Minor players mind if they happened to play five rated opponents and found themselves with a FIDE rating? I can see that they might not be very interested, but what's the downside?
Unlike Roger I don't think the cost is that important - bit of a nuisance getting a FIDE number (though actually that's probably more the thought of having to do it than the execution: I just rang Battle, had a nice chat, logged on to FIDE and I was already there). But actually, I believe the minor section was not FIDE rated. My point above was that in planning a season of congresses the minor player might not even investigate something advertised as 4NCL FIDE because it would signal too high a standard - so they might not even get as far as realising there was a minor section.

MartinCarpenter

Post by MartinCarpenter » Thu Sep 17, 2015 11:37 am

Didn't even require ECF membership for the minor, let alone gold/FIDE. Just the 'standard' 5/6 pound discount if you're silver.

Jon Mahony

Post by Jon Mahony » Thu Sep 17, 2015 3:43 pm

Michael Farthing wrote:Ah! I knew there was another reason not to attend - couldn't face another humiliating defeat at your hands, Jon.
You'll get white next time :)

Cheers Mick - people have been trying that one all week :lol:
"When you see a good move, look for a better one!" - Lasker

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Thu Sep 17, 2015 5:55 pm

Jon Mahony wrote:
Michael Farthing wrote:Ah! I knew there was another reason not to attend - couldn't face another humiliating defeat at your hands, Jon.
You'll get white next time :)

Cheers Mick - people have been trying that one all week :lol:
Only joking, glad to see the money going to a good home :wink:
Any postings on here represent my personal views