1st Worcestershire Open, July 25-26

Results of competitions with tables, or as much detail as is possible.
Alex Holowczak

1st Worcestershire Open, July 25-26

Post by Alex Holowczak » Sun Jul 26, 2009 4:39 pm

Just come home from this tournament, I don't know the full results but I'm sure someone else will come along later with them.

Lawrence Cooper lost an Armageddon playoff with black to John Pitcher in the Open. A 13-year old, I think graded 110 finished third though! I forget his name

The Major (U155) was won by Chris Smith, a 17-year old graded 130. Won his first four games, then drew his final game against the Warwickshire board 4. He himself is Warwickshire board 16. I reckon he'll be graded ~ 175 when the grades eventually come out. At least, that's how good he is. Whether the grades show that is another matter, of course...

The Minor (U105) was won by Manpreet Sangha, a 14-year old graded 79. I finished fifth after losing to Manpreet in the last round. We had a moral dilemma. Someone would win with 4.5/5 if we drew (which our game clearly was), and since I know him well, we pondered whether one of us should resign and play in the play-off and split the money. In the end though, I thought it best to play it out for a draw. Although, I blundered and lost. :( Suppose it serves me right really. :oops: Manpreet still had to win an Armageddon playoff, and he managed to do so, winning with black. He even had time to offer a draw!

Both Manpreet and Chris go to my former school, so that's good news. Although, I think this adds weight to the "juniors are undergraded" theory. It can't be coincidence that all the strong juniors in the tournament pretty much won their sections or came close to it.

Aside from mistaking the Church Hall with the Village Hall on the first day and needing a local to guide me to the right place, it was a good tournament, and very well-run. Hopefully it'll be held next year.

Michele Clack

Re: 1st Worcestershire Open, July 25-26

Post by Michele Clack » Sun Jul 26, 2009 5:03 pm

This was a very good tournament. Full marks to Andrew Moore and Andrew Farthing for organising it and to Ray Dolan for helping to control the tournament. Lets hope we can have another one next year.

Andrew Farthing

Post by Andrew Farthing » Mon Jul 27, 2009 3:25 pm

Thanks to Alex and Michele for the comments.

There were 62 entrants in all, which was very encouraging for the first time out. Leading players' results are shown below.

Open
1st: John Pitcher (South Birmingham) 4 1/2 points winning the Armageddon playoff. 2nd: Lawrence Cooper (Stafford) 4 1/2 points. 3rd: Brandon Clarke (Littleworth, Leics) 3 1/2 points.

Major
1st: Chris Smith (Quinborne Checkmates) 4 1/2 points. 2nd: Dave Faulkner (Welwyn & Hatfield) 4 points. 3rd prize was shared between: Tom Robinson (Redditch); Simon Smith (Warley Quinborne); Steve Murdoch (Penrith) all on 3 1/2 points.

Minor
1st: Manpreet Sangha (Rushall) 4 1/2 points winning the Armageddon play-off. 2nd: Kevin Engelbrecht (Wimbledon) 4 1/2 points. 3rd: Ian Clack (Redditch) 4 points.

Brandon Clarke's grading is 147 (old basis), not 110, so his third place wasn't quite as big a surprise as it might seem. Still an excellent result though, and I agree with Alex's argument that this event supported the traditional "juniors are undergraded" view.

I'm certainly hopeful that there'll be another Worcestershire congress next year. Since we reached our capacity this year, we'll probably try to find a bigger venue. Thanks to everyone who supported the event by taking part.

Andrew Farthing

raycollett

Post by raycollett » Mon Jul 27, 2009 7:28 pm

A well run event in aid of a plica awareness and research charity. Players also need to thank Chessmaze http://www.chessmazeinternational.com/ for the loan of equipment and providing books and equipment at very reasonable prices on their stall. It was good to see spectators applaud players at the end of the Armageddon play-offs. See attached a picture from the event showing Andy Moore (Chief Controller, left) and Ray Dolan (Controller, right) checking the prize list just before the presentations ceremony.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

LozCooper

Post by LozCooper » Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:55 pm

Andrew Farthing wrote:Thanks to Alex and Michele for the comments.

There were 62 entrants in all, which was very encouraging for the first time out. Leading players' results are shown below.

Open
1st: John Pitcher (South Birmingham) 4 1/2 points winning the Armageddon playoff. 2nd: Lawrence Cooper (Stafford) 4 1/2 points. 3rd: Brandon Clarke (Littleworth, Leics) 3 1/2 points.

Major
1st: Chris Smith (Quinborne Checkmates) 4 1/2 points. 2nd: Dave Faulkner (Welwyn & Hatfield) 4 points. 3rd prize was shared between: Tom Robinson (Redditch); Simon Smith (Warley Quinborne); Steve Murdoch (Penrith) all on 3 1/2 points.

Minor
1st: Manpreet Sangha (Rushall) 4 1/2 points winning the Armageddon play-off. 2nd: Kevin Engelbrecht (Wimbledon) 4 1/2 points. 3rd: Ian Clack (Redditch) 4 points.

Brandon Clarke's grading is 147 (old basis), not 110, so his third place wasn't quite as big a surprise as it might seem. Still an excellent result though, and I agree with Alex's argument that this event supported the traditional "juniors are undergraded" view.

I'm certainly hopeful that there'll be another Worcestershire congress next year. Since we reached our capacity this year, we'll probably try to find a bigger venue. Thanks to everyone who supported the event by taking part.

Andrew Farthing
I'd like to thank John Pitcher for generously agreeing to split the prize money after beating me in the blitz play-off. Unusually, we played off for both the title and all the prize money so although it was a relatively small difference it was still a great gesture.