World Universities' Chess Championship

Information regarding live broadcasts using the ECF sensory boards.
Alex Holowczak

World Universities' Chess Championship

Post by Alex Holowczak » Sun Sep 05, 2010 12:16 pm

Live games from the World Universities' Chess Championship will be broadcast online from Zurich.

Assuming they're not using some dodgy pairing system, Peter Poobalasingam will find his way onto board 12 against IM Davit Benidze from Georgia (2508). The time control is 90 mins + 30 secs per move, and starts at 2pm CET. I assume that's 1pm BST.

The link is here: http://www.wucc2010.ch/joomla/index.php ... &Itemid=19

Alex Holowczak

Re: World Universities' Chess Championship

Post by Alex Holowczak » Sun Sep 05, 2010 12:51 pm

OK, I didn't realise that the list of entries wasn't a complete list of entries. So the manual parings I had calculated are wrong!

However, the following games involving English players are on the live boards:
8) Vasily Papin (RUS, 2521) v Peter Poobalasingam (ENG, 2332)
w5) Andjelija Stojanovic (SRB, 2337) v Sarah Hegarty (ENG, 2084)

Matthew Turner

Post by Matthew Turner » Sun Sep 05, 2010 5:00 pm

Peter drew and Sarah lost. They were both under pressure for a long time, but Peter hung on very gamely.

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Sun Sep 05, 2010 5:44 pm

Note that on board 13, an IM didn't resign KNB v K, and his 2292-rated opponent ran out of moves to win it!

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Sun Sep 05, 2010 6:06 pm

Alex Holowczak wrote:Note that on board 13, an IM didn't resign KNB v K, and his 2292-rated opponent ran out of moves to win it!
Even worse, the 2292 player had no real need to go into that ending. At move 70 say, leave the pawn on b3 blockaded by the Bishop on b2 and get the white king in range of the black king . Maybe try to make Ng6 work to queen the h pawn. Perhaps he'd played too many games without an increment - when you would want your opponent's last pawn off the board to avoid potential time loss.

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Sun Sep 05, 2010 7:14 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Alex Holowczak wrote:Note that on board 13, an IM didn't resign KNB v K, and his 2292-rated opponent ran out of moves to win it!
Even worse, the 2292 player had no real need to go into that ending. At move 70 say, leave the pawn on b3 blockaded by the Bishop on b2 and get the white king in range of the black king . Maybe try to make Ng6 work to queen the h pawn. Perhaps he'd played too many games without an increment - when you would want your opponent's last pawn off the board to avoid potential time loss.
Yes, I noticed this too. My plan would have been to get my K to c1, play Bg7(+), and then get my King on b2 to block everything over there. There was no rush to play h7, and he could have played my idea quite quickly with no real danger, so it would have gained maybe a minute or so on the clock.

Of course, this is what happens if you don't have adjournments. The endgame becomes a total lottery! :roll:

Richard Bates

Post by Richard Bates » Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:28 pm

I would have played h7. It doesn't seem at all clear to me that White can avoid the ending, and really, why should he need to?

More interesting is Wang Hao failing to defend R+B vs R (albeit made harder by the presence of an extra pawn for the defender thereby presumably neutering the "second rank defence") against Shirov.

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:31 pm

Richard Bates wrote:I would have played h7. It doesn't seem at all clear to me that White can avoid the ending, and really, why should he need to?
Yes, but presumably you know KNB v K. Surely when he played h7 he did so knowing he could do KNB v K reliably...

Also, with incremental time controls, he could have faffed around for a bit first, gained more time on the clock, and then made sure he knew how to do it inside the fifty moves! Although, 50 moves would add another 50 minutes to the duration of the game. You'd have thought a 2300-standard player could do KNB v K given that long to do it...

Feel sorry for him though, because he could have won against IM playing for his country in the WUCC... Must be a bit sad about it. :(

Leonard Barden

Post by Leonard Barden » Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:35 pm

Richard Bates wrote:I would have played h7. It doesn't seem at all clear to me that White can avoid the ending, and really, why should he need to?

More interesting is Wang Hao failing to defend R+B vs R (albeit made harder by the presence of an extra pawn for the defender thereby presumably neutering the "second rank defence") against Shirov.
Apparently Wang Hao stated that he wanted to get the ending over with quickly because he had a headache! See ChessVibes for the players' post-game comments.

Richard Bates

Post by Richard Bates » Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:37 pm

Alex Holowczak wrote:
Yes, but presumably you know KNB v K. Surely when he played h7 he did so knowing he could do KNB v K reliably...

Also, with incremental time controls, he could have faffed around for a bit first, gained more time on the clock, and then made sure he knew how to do it inside the fifty moves! Although, 50 moves would add another 50 minutes to the duration of the game. You'd have thought a 2300-standard player could do KNB v K given that long to do it...

Feel sorry for him though, because he could have won against IM playing for his country in the WUCC... Must be a bit sad about it. :(
I think it's pretty clear he did know how to do it in principle, he just got confused around move 97/98.

LozCooper

Post by LozCooper » Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:50 pm

It's also worth mentioning that Vedantha Kumar drew with black against an FM rated 2414, 431 points higher than his own rating. His reward is white against a 2460 tomorrow :)

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Sun Sep 05, 2010 9:43 pm

Tomorrow, the following will be on the Live Boards (assuming there's the same coverage as today)
15) Peter Poobalasingam (ENG, 2332) v Malkhaz Sulashvili (GEO, 2500)

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Mon Sep 06, 2010 12:31 pm

Poobalasingam won this morning to move to 1.5/2; a good start towards an IM-norm! He'll be on the live boards again in round 3 later on. Some very good results so far!

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Mon Sep 06, 2010 1:51 pm

More live games for English players in round 3 this afternoon:
11) Anuar Ismagambetov (KAZ, 2492) v Peter Poobalasingam (ENG, 2332)
w7) Batkhuyag Munguntuul (MNG, 2412) v Sarah Hegarty (ENG, 2084)

Ben Purton

Post by Ben Purton » Mon Sep 06, 2010 3:40 pm

Sarahs opponent has allowed her equality and shes rated 2450... would be great result with Black.

I never use rybka so no doubt some tw*t will say im wrong and cite it as bible.

But Kf2 b5 a3 , sarah is = there.
I love sleep, I need 8 hours a day and about 10 at night - Bill Hicks
I would die happy if I beat Wood Green in the Eastman Cup final - Richmond LL captain.
Hating the Yankees since 2002. Hating the Jets since 2001.