4NCL RAPIDPLAY

Information regarding live broadcasts using the ECF sensory boards.
Mike Truran

4NCL RAPIDPLAY

Post by Mike Truran » Sat Oct 09, 2010 10:54 am

We will be broadcasting Rapidplay games from the Team Event on Saturday 9th October 2010 and the Individual Event on Sunday 10th October 2010. Start times are 2 pm on Saturday and 9.30 am on Sunday. You can view games on the 4NCL website (Live Games link on the left hand side of the home page).

benedgell

Re: 4NCL RAPIDPLAY

Post by benedgell » Sat Oct 09, 2010 2:05 pm

The games are going to start shortly, and there are 2 live cameras at the event to boot :)

benedgell

Post by benedgell » Sat Oct 09, 2010 2:31 pm

The camera for board 1 went offline very briefly a couple of times, but otherwise everything seemed to be running smoothly there.

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Sat Oct 09, 2010 3:29 pm

Glad all is working, stuck in the bowels of a Hovis server room here with very limited internet access :(
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Sun Oct 10, 2010 12:42 am

Looks ok but I missed most of it due to "working" on a Saturday, so losing my touch it's been a long day...
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:00 am

benedgell wrote:The games are going to start shortly, and there are 2 live cameras at the event to boot :)
I had the (mis?)fortune to be in a lowly rated team that was paired in the second-ranked match in round 1, so that our 4-0 slaughter at the hands of a team with 2 GMs on boards 1 and 2 (Jones and Arkell) was broadcast live on the internet (only the top two matches were broadcast, hence the boards 1-4 and 5-8 labels). After this, said lowly rated team subsided to the bottom levels of the tournament, so our play didn't trouble the live boards again!

There doesn't seem to be a way to link to individual games, but the broadcast games (with links) are here:

http://www.bcfservices.org.uk/livechess ... /index.htm

The games from later rounds will be of more interest than the games from round 1. In the match I played in I should have been playing Lawrence Cooper. Sadly, we were a player short, so I was playing on board 3 instead (board 7 on the live coverage), against a junior with a grade of 216. Normally, being played at a rate of 10 minutes and 5 seconds per move, the game would be lost to posterity, but because the game is on the 4NCL website, I can put the game in Fritz and see that I had a nice position after 16...b4 and 17.Nb1. Though having a nice position is no good if you can't play it properly in the time available and end up getting mated horribly. :?

On balance, though, it is nice having the game available to look at afterwards. The only other game I have the moves for was a win from round 6, and that was only because the game was 21 moves which meant I could remember all the moves...

About actually playing on a board with a lead sticking out the side, I think this was the first time I'd played on a board where the moves were being broadcast to the internet. It did make me think a bit more about flashy sacrifices, but I was more concerned about not messing up too badly in the opening! I wasn't quite sure what would have happened if I'd placed a piece on a square, not let go, and then played a different move instead. But I think there were people on computers in the same room following the games to make sure things like that could be corrected. If there had been a little card next to the board saying how to place the kings to record the result, that would have been nice - I know there is a way to do this, but I wouldn't have thought to do this at the time - is there an easy way to remember this?

There was sometimes quite a lag on the cameras, so players could exit the playing room and look at the 'live' streaming screens on the computers in the cafe area and see themselves playing a few minutes earlier!

Richard Bates

Post by Richard Bates » Sun Oct 10, 2010 10:56 am

From watching the live games a surprising number of people seem to be losing on time. I guess the five second increment takes some getting used to.

Jonathan Rogers

Post by Jonathan Rogers » Sun Oct 10, 2010 12:06 pm

There were quite a few surprising time losses, though of course not everything was perfect with the transmission. Looking back today, I should say that Jonathan Parker did not play against Bristol, as declared, nor against anyone else (he had to pull out at the last minute due to flu) and it was Rafe who played and lost on board four v Bristol, not Matthew Piper. In fact, Matthew Piper scored 8.5/9 and made an overall performance which we guessed at the time to be around 2700 but was probably well above 2800.*

I also notice that the updated scores stopped at round seven! At the end, Barbican 4NCL 1 won, NACCPO 1 finished second and pre-tournament favourites Pride and Prejudice finished third. An excellent day for Barbican who were third seeds even on the basis that Jon Parker would be available, and in whose absence were perhaps rather the fourth strongest side on paper.

* This is not my speciality. Goodness, it could have been over 2900 for all that I know.

Mike Truran

Post by Mike Truran » Sun Oct 10, 2010 12:53 pm

The final results from yesterday are now on the website (on the live games link).

Jonathan Rogers

Post by Jonathan Rogers » Sun Oct 10, 2010 1:04 pm

Ah, ok, but NACCPO did come second, because gamepoints count before matchpoints.

Ljubica Lazarevic

Post by Ljubica Lazarevic » Sun Oct 10, 2010 1:26 pm

Yes, and despite being over a minute down on the clocks each due to the arbiter refusing to take the team sheets.

Mike Truran

Post by Mike Truran » Sun Oct 10, 2010 1:55 pm

Table now corrected.

Richard Bates

Post by Richard Bates » Sun Oct 10, 2010 2:17 pm

Did something go wrong with the Sambuca Sharks' preparation?

Jonathan Rogers

Post by Jonathan Rogers » Sun Oct 10, 2010 3:20 pm

Some more excellent results by Barbican players, with wins over Hebden and Jones in round seven.

Now that he is on board one, I see that those in charge of the live boards have got Craig's name right (Pritchett, not Pritchard, as given in round 7)

Ben Purton

Post by Ben Purton » Sun Oct 10, 2010 4:31 pm

Toms won the induvidual me thinks!

Yeh we did not enter a team..... had better things to do
I love sleep, I need 8 hours a day and about 10 at night - Bill Hicks
I would die happy if I beat Wood Green in the Eastman Cup final - Richmond LL captain.
Hating the Yankees since 2002. Hating the Jets since 2001.