British Rapid Play

Information regarding live broadcasts using the ECF sensory boards.
John R Moore

Re: British Rapid Play

Post by John R Moore » Sat Nov 20, 2010 6:28 pm

Are the live games really worth the time and effort, as there always seems to be some sort of problem when trying to watch the game

LozCooper

Post by LozCooper » Sat Nov 20, 2010 6:34 pm

John R Moore wrote:Are the live games really worth the time and effort, as there always seems to be some sort of problem when trying to watch the game
As someone sat at home watching I am certainly very grateful for the efforts of all those involved and whilst it's frustrating when there are technical problems or the occasional error on names I certainly enjoy the coverage provided. Today has been very good coverage, two names the wrong way round and one wrong result isn't a bad return from 4 rounds of 8 games. Keep up the good work.

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Sat Nov 20, 2010 7:02 pm

LozCooper wrote:
John R Moore wrote:Are the live games really worth the time and effort, as there always seems to be some sort of problem when trying to watch the game
As someone sat at home watching I am certainly very grateful for the efforts of all those involved and whilst it's frustrating when there are technical problems or the occasional error on names I certainly enjoy the coverage provided. Today has been very good coverage, two names the wrong way round and one wrong result isn't a bad return from 4 rounds of 8 games. Keep up the good work.
It's difficult to know how many results were wrong if they are silently corrected. I think we've been spoilt with the video coverage of the World Blitz, as having just the games and no video seems a bit boring now.

But talking of the chess itself, the round 5 Surtees-Haslinger game reminded me of the Ivanchuk-Jobava game from the Olympiad, except this time Black won despite White having two pieces and a rook for the queen.

Anyway, going into the last round today (round 6 of 11), it looks like there is a four-way tie for first on 4.5/5 (Jones, Howell, Turner and Haslinger), with a further 4 people (at least) on 4/5.

LozCooper

Post by LozCooper » Sat Nov 20, 2010 8:18 pm

Christopher Kreuzer wrote:[

It's difficult to know how many results were wrong if they are silently corrected.
Well from looking at the pairings in the folllowing round you can tell. There's only been Turner-Palliser which showed the wrong result but given Palliser had no time left one could make a reasonable guess. It's not an easy job and I think the coverage is very good given there are often problems at the venue that are out of the control of the people supervising the electronic boards.

Andrew Camp

Post by Andrew Camp » Sat Nov 20, 2010 8:55 pm

Any updates on the standings?
Chairman of North Wales Junior Chess Association
[email protected]

LozCooper

Post by LozCooper » Sat Nov 20, 2010 8:56 pm

David Howell leads with 5.5/6 after the first day. Four players on 5, Gawain Jones, Matthew Turner, Richard Palliser and I suspect Aaron Summerscale although his round 6 game is showing as 0-1.

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Sat Nov 20, 2010 11:16 pm

Yes!

As someone who actually know how much work is involved then Dave's efforts should be beyond criticism - you should try using the DGT software
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

LozCooper

Post by LozCooper » Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:38 am

Carl Hibbard wrote:
Yes!

As someone who actually know how much work is involved then Dave's efforts should be beyond criticism - you should try using the DGT software
Agreed :)

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Sun Nov 21, 2010 9:37 am

Rd 7 up and going - seems a bit early, Howell appears to be playing 2 games which is quite impressive but Dave should spot that shortly!
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

LozCooper

Post by LozCooper » Sun Nov 21, 2010 9:38 am

LozCooper wrote:David Howell leads with 5.5/6 after the first day. Four players on 5, Gawain Jones, Matthew Turner, Richard Palliser and I suspect Aaron Summerscale although his round 6 game is showing as 0-1.
I was wrong and the results were right :oops: Summerscale-Hebden was indeed 0-1 and it is Hebden who has 5, not Summerscale :?

Round 7 pairings therefore:

Hebden 5 Howell 5.5
Palliser 5 Jones 5
Haslinger 4.5 Turner 5

etc

http://www.british-rapidplay.org.uk/live7.html

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Sun Nov 21, 2010 9:39 am

Hosting looks ok, so now it's breakfast time here
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

David Clayton

Post by David Clayton » Sun Nov 21, 2010 9:41 am

Carl Hibbard wrote:Rd 7 up and going - seems a bit early, Howell appears to be playing 2 games which is quite impressive but Dave should spot that shortly!
Ta

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Sun Nov 21, 2010 10:06 am

Doesn't Hebden playing 17. dxc5 simply just lose a piece, what am I missing in my sleepy state?
Last edited by Carl Hibbard on Sun Nov 21, 2010 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Ignore me the moves have been corrected now
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

LozCooper

Post by LozCooper » Sun Nov 21, 2010 10:30 am

Round 7 results:

Hebden 5 Howell 5.5 0-1
Palliser 5 Jones 5 0.5-0.5
Haslinger 4.5 Turner 5 1-0
Sherwin 4.5 P Shaw 4 0.5-0.5
Burnett 4 Summerscale 4 0-1