e2e4 Hinckley Congress

Information regarding live broadcasts using the ECF sensory boards.
Alex Holowczak

Re: e2e4 Hinckley Congress

Post by Alex Holowczak » Mon Aug 27, 2012 5:54 pm

John Moore wrote:Last capture on move 147 - I can never remember, do you have to claim under the 50 move rule. It may well be that Burrows has an up to date scoresheet - he has never been really short of time.
A 50-move claim has to be made by the player whose turn it is. I watched Stewart underline move 147 on his scoresheet when he got to something like move 155. I asked the live board operator to tell me when the 50 moves would expire, in case a claim was made. Of course, both players had an up-to-date scoresheet, because with a 30-second increment, you must always record your moves!

Peter D Williams

Post by Peter D Williams » Mon Aug 27, 2012 5:56 pm

John Moore wrote:Peter - I don't know if the late start is a reason and I didn't know that Craig was a junior. Good luck to him if he can finish David off.
A late start has no bearing on the result it is the same for both players.We should do a thread on here for excuses giving by adults for losing to juniors.Here is one for you my young opponent is to booked up, or he is playing fritz all day! I know of an IM who having had a bad result against a junior started to buy books on chess openings but says he did not buy any books on chess!
Craig is a junior and a very good player he works very hard at his chess.I would say he winning so far.
when you are successful many losers bark at you.

Richard Bates

Post by Richard Bates » Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:18 pm

Well done Spenny :) No need for excuses.

I would guess not quite as unexpected for the loser as the finish to Clarke-Pleasants in round 6, though...

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:10 am

I see Jonathan Hawkins won in the last round to win the Open section of tournament, though it looked like Richard Weaving had chances (or am I just imagining that?). Will these results appear in the September FIDE rating list? I'm also trying to see if there were any grading performance prizes awarded or not, the website doesn't say anything as far as I can tell - just the advertised prizes for each section. Were there not enough entries for grading/performance prizes?

In the Open, the best W-We scores were Weaving (+1.83, rating 2149, TPR 2400), Stewart (+1.77, rating 2013, TPR 2198), and Ganger (+1.51, rating 1965, TPR 2202). I can't quite work out why the latter TPR gets a lower W-We score - is it because of the two byes mid-tournament?

IM Jack Rudd

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:44 am

Christopher Kreuzer wrote: In the Open, the best W-We scores were Weaving (+1.83, rating 2149, TPR 2400), Stewart (+1.77, rating 2013, TPR 2198), and Ganger (+1.51, rating 1965, TPR 2202). I can't quite work out why the latter TPR gets a lower W-We score - is it because of the two byes mid-tournament?
Very probably - if he took two byes, everything is worked out over 5 games rather than 7. If he'd played 7 games at the same TPR, his W-We would presumably be somewhere in the region of 1.51*1.4 = 2.114.

Sean Hewitt

Post by Sean Hewitt » Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:58 am

Christopher Kreuzer wrote:I see Jonathan Hawkins won in the last round to win the Open section of tournament, though it looked like Richard Weaving had chances (or am I just imagining that?). Will these results appear in the September FIDE rating list?
They will be in the October list as the tournament ended after the cut off. That said, the rating report has already been submitted to FIDE and it is not unknown for tournaments to be rated early.
Christopher Kreuzer wrote: I'm also trying to see if there were any grading performance prizes awarded or not, the website doesn't say anything as far as I can tell - just the advertised prizes for each section. Were there not enough entries for grading/performance prizes?
There are grading prizes but I got home at 11.45 and went straight to bed. I will work them out and post them on the website when I get home this evening (or possibly, if I have time, this lunchtime). All the results online, downloadable pgns and main prizewinners are already online though. The FIDE ratuing
Christopher Kreuzer wrote:In the Open, the best W-We scores were Weaving (+1.83, rating 2149, TPR 2400), Stewart (+1.77, rating 2013, TPR 2198), and Ganger (+1.51, rating 1965, TPR 2202). I can't quite work out why the latter TPR gets a lower W-We score - is it because of the two byes mid-tournament?
What Jack said. You also need to bear in mind that a couple of players in the open were unrated so playing them would, for TPR purposes, be like an unplayed game as well.

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:23 pm

Sean Hewitt wrote:
Christopher Kreuzer wrote: I'm also trying to see if there were any grading performance prizes awarded or not, the website doesn't say anything as far as I can tell - just the advertised prizes for each section. Were there not enough entries for grading/performance prizes?
There are grading prizes but I got home at 11.45 and went straight to bed. I will work them out and post them on the website when I get home this evening (or possibly, if I have time, this lunchtime). All the results online, downloadable pgns and main prizewinners are already online though.
Thanks for this and the other answers. You got home 15 minutes after I did (train went missing at Hinckley). I'll try and be more patient next time. :D

I suppose now wouldn't be the best time to ask whether there is a page on the e2e4 site listing all the previous tournaments? I wanted to check something in the other e2e4 tournaments I'd played in (specifically the prize lists). I'm sure there is such a page, but I can't find it right now. Some of the previous tournaments appear to be there if you Google, but it is an index page I can't find.

Sunningdale 2011 is here:

http://www.e2e4.org.uk/sunningdale/Sept2011/index.htm

But I can't find Sunningdale 2010, other than the FIDE tournament report:

http://ratings.fide.com/tournament_repo ... nt16=50327

(Obviously that won't include prize list).

Is the website set up by venue with future events at a venue overwriting the previous one?

Daniel Young

Post by Daniel Young » Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:27 pm

Christopher Kreuzer wrote: I suppose now wouldn't be the best time to ask whether there is a page on the e2e4 site listing all the previous tournaments? I wanted to check something in the other e2e4 tournaments I'd played in (specifically the prize lists). I'm sure there is such a page, but I can't find it right now. Some of the previous tournaments appear to be there if you Google, but it is an index page I can't find.
Is http://www.e2e4.org.uk/games/index.htm what you're looking for?

Sean Hewitt

Post by Sean Hewitt » Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:31 pm

Daniel Young wrote:
Christopher Kreuzer wrote: I suppose now wouldn't be the best time to ask whether there is a page on the e2e4 site listing all the previous tournaments? I wanted to check something in the other e2e4 tournaments I'd played in (specifically the prize lists). I'm sure there is such a page, but I can't find it right now. Some of the previous tournaments appear to be there if you Google, but it is an index page I can't find.
@Chris - The link Daniel has given is the right one. However, if there is anything specific you're after let me know and I'll do my best to point you at it.

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:41 pm

Sean Hewitt wrote:
Daniel Young wrote:
@Chris - The link Daniel has given is the right one. However, if there is anything specific you're after let me know and I'll do my best to point you at it.
That's the one! (Thanks, Daniel). As I said, what I was most interested in was looking at the prize lists over the years, but having all those games there is great!

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:10 pm

Christopher Kreuzer wrote: That's the one! (Thanks, Daniel). As I said, what I was most interested in was looking at the prize lists over the years, but having all those games there is great!
Many of the links to the game files are broken. Another source of games is the tournament archive on the FIDE site or the player's rating profile if you just want to look up one player. Without checking in detail, e2e4 events have pgn game files associated with the rating results.

Sean Hewitt

Post by Sean Hewitt » Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:15 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:Many of the links to the game files are broken. .
For some reason that I cannot fathom, many of the links (to pgn files only) are broken. The files are there, but browsers are unable to resolve the url if it involves .pgn - I have addressed this by zipping files recently, but need to go back and do all of the archive. Oddly, some pgn files do seem to download and some do not. Carl H and I tried to solve this without success.
Roger de Coverly wrote: Another source of games is the tournament archive on the FIDE site or the player's rating profile if you just want to look up one player. Without checking in detail, e2e4 events have pgn game files associated with the rating results.
Correct. Indeed, I may simply link here instead when I get the time to do so.

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:33 pm

Sean Hewitt wrote:Carl H and I tried to solve this without success.
I can fix this if you want but you would probably need to give me hosting level access to determine the cause
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Sean Hewitt

Post by Sean Hewitt » Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:13 pm

Carl Hibbard wrote:
Sean Hewitt wrote:Carl H and I tried to solve this without success.
I can fix this if you want but you would probably need to give me hosting level access to determine the cause
Not sure how I would do that. All I have is an ftp password which I'm happy to give to you if it helps.