Hastings

Information regarding live broadcasts using the ECF sensory boards.
Roger de Coverly

Re: Hastings

Post by Roger de Coverly » Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:40 pm

Jonathan Rogers wrote: For all that, Gawain himself was a worthy winner
He's done the double, British Champion and Hastings winner. In days gone by, it was not uncommon for the British Champion to receive an invite to the Hastings all play all and then come last. So what are the records for the "good" double, win both and the "bad" double, British Champion and last at Hastings?

David Pardoe

Post by David Pardoe » Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:48 pm

Hastings is one of our great unsung UK chess tournaments. It would be great to see a higher level of sponsorship and to see a few more top names taking part, and surely some package deals could be offered to encourage some of our FT350 companies to stump up a few grand in support of our great cultural persuits. Even one or two £10-20k sponsorship deals, maybe from a hotel group (Marriott...?), insurance group (eg, Direct Line), holiday firm (Thomas Cook..?), Building society, (Nationwide..),etc... or Vodaphone, Aviva, or L&G perhaps. It might be good for there image to be seen supporting our national cultural activities. Do we have players who have senior connections with such companies, who might speak to the publicity sections or directors.
It would also be nice if some of these events got a mention on the national news and the regional press. This would provide something different from the usual media gloom stories of Eurozone debt, banking debacles, etc that we get bombarded with nightly. It might also encourage joe public to recognise that chess is available for them...and local clubs across the land would love to see some new faces...players of all standards. And those `web` players...zillions of capable players, who would make welcome additions to our local clubs and congresses.
As for Hastings, its interesting to follow the various players that may well not be quite so well known, along with `locals` & other players that we may know. And interesting to see the players challenging for norms, etc....
BRING BACK THE BCF

AustinElliott

Post by AustinElliott » Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:31 am

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Jonathan Rogers wrote: For all that, Gawain himself was a worthy winner
He's done the double, British Champion and Hastings winner. In days gone by, it was not uncommon for the British Champion to receive an invite to the Hastings all play all and then come last. So what are the records for the "good" double, win both and the "bad" double, British Champion and last at Hastings?
After a poke about on Wikipedia and the ECF site (I'm avoiding all the essays and reports I'm supposed to be reading), I reckon I've found five, or possibly six, for the good double:

GA Thomas (British 1934, Hastings 34-5)
Speelman (Brit 86, Hastings 86-7)
Short (Brit 87, Hastings 87-8)
Sadler (Brit 97, Hastings 97-8)
Howell (Brit 09, Hastings 09-10)

If you allow 'reverse order', then there is also:

Nunn (Hastings 79-80, British 80)

- and Alexander as a near miss - 1938 British Champion, following Hastings 37-8 where he was 2= with Keres, a half-point behind Reshevsky but a half point ahead of Fine and Flohr.

I am no chess historian (merely an amateur procrastinator), so I don't vouch for the, er, total accuracy of the above.

Keith Arkell

Post by Keith Arkell » Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:39 am

To be fair to Stewart Reuben his latest report corrects things, so no hard feelings.

On the subject of the British and Hastings double the best I can offer is 2nd at the British in 2001, followed by first in the Hastings challengers...and 2nd in the Prem the following year. Not exaclty what you're looking for I know :(

Mike Gunn

Post by Mike Gunn » Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:41 am

Jonathan Rowson (Hastings 2003/4, British Champion 2004).

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:21 pm

Keith Arkell wrote:On the subject of the British and Hastings double the best I can offer is 2nd at the British in 2001, followed by first in the Hastings challengers...and 2nd in the Prem the following year. Not exaclty what you're looking for I know :(
Still quite impressive though, so cheer up :wink:
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

Peter D Williams

Post by Peter D Williams » Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:54 pm

Richard James wrote:
Peter D Williams wrote:Does any one know who opened the 1922 Hasting International Chess Tournament?
Hello Peter.

I'm not sure what prompted this question, but...

The 1921-22 Hastings Congress actually took place entirely in 1921 (26-31 December). I have no information about who opened it. It was billed as the Hastings Christmas Chess Festival and was entirely British apart from Boris Kostich, from Serbia, who won all his games, and the Irish player J.J. O'Hanlon, who was a regular on the English congress circuit at the time.

The 1922-23 Hastings Christmas Chess Congress took place between 27 December 1921 and 4 January 1922 and was a much stronger affair, featuring Rubinstein and Réti. There was a brief speech of welcome by the club President H.E. Dobell.

The opening ceremony of the 1922 London International Congress featured speeches by various dignitaries, including Andrew Bonar Law, who would become Prime Minister two months later, Major Barnett M.P., the Mayor of Westminster and the writer and chess player Lord Dunsany.

Best wishes for 2013 for you and your family. I hope you enjoyed the turkey.
Hi Richard

The 1922 Hasting International chess tournament was opened by the Deputy Mayor of Hasting Mr Alderman E C Smith along with H E Dobell who was the then President of the Hasting Chess Club. Many of the players where accommodated at the Albany Hotel and the Waverley Hotel. The chess was played in the council Chamber. Demonstration boards where used in am adjoining room where discussions on the games could be made with out disturbing the players. This section was under the management of Mr H F Cheshire who took real delight in explaining the games to visitors just like Chris Ward GM does now its only recently that Chris has used laptops fritz I can remember in 2009 Chris just using a demonstration board.

The turkey was delicious I would recommend buying a free range Norfolk black turkey cost a little more but well worth it. Happy new year to you.
when you are successful many losers bark at you.

Richard James

Post by Richard James » Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:05 pm

Peter D Williams wrote:
Richard James wrote:
Peter D Williams wrote:Does any one know who opened the 1922 Hasting International Chess Tournament?
Hello Peter.

I'm not sure what prompted this question, but...

The 1921-22 Hastings Congress actually took place entirely in 1921 (26-31 December). I have no information about who opened it. It was billed as the Hastings Christmas Chess Festival and was entirely British apart from Boris Kostich, from Serbia, who won all his games, and the Irish player J.J. O'Hanlon, who was a regular on the English congress circuit at the time.

The 1922-23 Hastings Christmas Chess Congress took place between 27 December 1921 and 4 January 1922 and was a much stronger affair, featuring Rubinstein and Réti. There was a brief speech of welcome by the club President H.E. Dobell.

The opening ceremony of the 1922 London International Congress featured speeches by various dignitaries, including Andrew Bonar Law, who would become Prime Minister two months later, Major Barnett M.P., the Mayor of Westminster and the writer and chess player Lord Dunsany.

Best wishes for 2013 for you and your family. I hope you enjoyed the turkey.
Hi Richard

The 1922 Hasting International chess tournament was opened by the Deputy Mayor of Hasting Mr Alderman E C Smith along with H E Dobell who was the then President of the Hasting Chess Club. Many of the players where accommodated at the Albany Hotel and the Waverley Hotel. The chess was played in the council Chamber. Demonstration boards where used in am adjoining room where discussions on the games could be made with out disturbing the players. This section was under the management of Mr H F Cheshire who took real delight in explaining the games to visitors just like Chris Ward GM does now its only recently that Chris has used laptops fritz I can remember in 2009 Chris just using a demonstration board.

The turkey was delicious I would recommend buying a free range Norfolk black turkey cost a little more but well worth it. Happy new year to you.
Hi Peter

Many thanks - very interesting. My source was BCM Feb 1923 but your source was more detailed.

I wonder when games were first demonstrated to spectators with commentary in this way. Does anyone know?

Peter D Williams

Post by Peter D Williams » Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:55 pm

[quote="Richard James"
Hi Peter

Many thanks - very interesting. My source was BCM Feb 1923 but your source was more detailed.

I wonder when games were first demonstrated to spectators with commentary in this way. Does anyone know?[/quote]

That is a very good question it must have been after the 1895 event.
Looking though the Hasting chess tournament book of 1895 it makes no mention of commentary or demonstration boards it does talk about chess experts making diagrams of the games. according to the source you had eleven tables in two rows of four and one of three, while rows of chairs where set out for about 100 spectators but keeping sufficient distance from the players. 22 players took part in the main event of 1895 but you did have a number of other events running and a problem solving tournament.
Mr Dobell was one of the driving forces behind starting the Hasting event according to the book it was first talked about when he and 2 others where wandering the quiet roads of Hastings and hatched the plot which would startle the chess world.
A rather nice Banquet was arranged for the masters and the press at the Queens hotel Mr Lasker was in fine form at the toasts telling everyone he had taken up residence in England and considered it his second fatherland. Mr Steinitz said that the Hasting chess tournament would create new era in chess .Dr Tarrasch said that the excuse for some for doing badly was that the town was too charming and attractive.

Richard James

Post by Richard James » Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:12 pm

Yes, the Hastings 1895 tournament book is well worth reading.
L.P. Hartley wrote:The past is a foreign country: they do things differently there.

Peter D Williams

Post by Peter D Williams » Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:46 am

Richard James wrote:Yes, the Hastings 1895 tournament book is well worth reading.
L.P. Hartley wrote:The past is a foreign country: they do things differently there.
I am rather fortunate in that I have a rare first edition copy of the Hasting Chess Tournament of 1895( a present from Carol) I collect first edition chess books and now have quite a collection of them. It is well worth a read any copy of it is as it gives a real insight into the Hasting event of 1895.