Scottish Championship

Information regarding live broadcasts using the ECF sensory boards.
LawrenceCooper

Scottish Championship

Post by LawrenceCooper » Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:34 pm

Thomas Rendle

Re: Scottish Championship

Post by Thomas Rendle » Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:40 pm

At a glance top 4 boards currently look: 1-0, 1/2-1/2, 0-1, 1/2-1/2 - in fact they just agreed a draw on 2. (edited immediately, meant to say 0-1 on 3)

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:20 pm

LawrenceCooper wrote:Some very lively games today:

http://rs8.blueapricot.com/scottish/2013/r4a/tfd.htm
Whoops forgot I was hosting this and normally I would keep an eye out see if people the other end are doing it right :roll:
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

David Clayton

Post by David Clayton » Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:00 pm

Carl Hibbard wrote:
LawrenceCooper wrote:Some very lively games today:

http://rs8.blueapricot.com/scottish/2013/r4a/tfd.htm
Whoops forgot I was hosting this and normally I would keep an eye out see if people the other end are doing it right :roll:
Hi Carl

Well with up to 27 games going out live we are a bit under resourced. But the top 4 are always out live for the start of play.

All live games can be found here. http://www.scottishchesschamp.co.uk/livegames.php

Tournament finishishes Sunday.

David

Barry Sandercock

Post by Barry Sandercock » Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:52 am

I see Gawain Jones and Imre Hera {Hun} were first equal with 7/9. Does anybody know if there was a play off or tie breaking system. I assume Gwain Jones is Scottish Champion.

Alex McFarlane

Post by Alex McFarlane » Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:23 am

Danny Gormally also shared first place.

The Scottish Champion is Roddy McKay.

Barry Sandercock

Post by Barry Sandercock » Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:39 am

Thanks Alex.

Sean Hewitt

Post by Sean Hewitt » Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:31 am

Can anyone explain the last round pairings? The top boards look strange to me!

Alex McFarlane

Post by Alex McFarlane » Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:41 am

Sean Hewitt wrote:Can anyone explain the last round pairings? The top boards look strange to me!
I am so glad it was you who asked this!!!!

I agree it is a weird pairing but it is the one that Swiss Master produces. Unfortunately my colleague also came up with the same pairing manually. Seeing both had the same I did not then do the pairing myself.

It looks like the computer tried to pair the top 6 cards together rather than have two further downfloats.

I will be passing this on.

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:26 am

Alex McFarlane wrote:
Sean Hewitt wrote:Can anyone explain the last round pairings? The top boards look strange to me!

I agree it is a weird pairing but it is the one that Swiss Master produces. Unfortunately my colleague also came up with the same pairing manually. Seeing both had the same I did not then do the pairing myself.

It looks like the computer tried to pair the top 6 cards together rather than have two further downfloats.

I will be passing this on.
In passing, I note that it was an accelerated Swiss for 2 rounds, but the Swiss Master file is showing some of the accelerated pairings as floats when they weren't floats, but part of the acceleration process. I haven't seen if there has been a residual effect in these following through to round 9, but nevertheless, you need to open the file as a text file and take the incorrect floats out!

Sean Hewitt

Post by Sean Hewitt » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:44 am

Alex McFarlane wrote:

Hi Alex - If you'd like to email the SwissMaster file to me I'll be happy to take a look at what's happened for you.

Something funny happened at a tournament in Ireland last year and I was able to resolve that one fairly quickly once I had the tournament file.

Sean Hewitt

Post by Sean Hewitt » Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:35 pm

Alex McFarlane wrote:I agree it is a weird pairing but it is the one that Swiss Master produces. Unfortunately my colleague also came up with the same pairing manually. Seeing both had the same I did not then do the pairing myself.
I've just checked the pairings manually and the ones produced for round 9 are correct according to FIDE pairing rules. I don't know if you were pairing to FIDE rules or not but SwissMaster is, so what it has done is correct.

Alex McFarlane

Post by Alex McFarlane » Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:59 pm

Again, it may satisfy section B of the pairing rules but it does not satisfy A3.

A3 would give Gormally v Hera as Farago does not come into the equation until after the 6.5 points are paired with the 6s.

The rules given in B are not consistent with the general principles given in A.

Sean Hewitt

Post by Sean Hewitt » Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:17 pm

Alex McFarlane wrote:Again, it may satisfy section B of the pairing rules but it does not satisfy A3.

A3 would give Gormally v Hera as Farago does not come into the equation until after the 6.5 points are paired with the 6s.

The rules given in B are not consistent with the general principles given in A.
C.12 is the key
Swiss Pairing C.12 wrote:If there are moved down players: backtrack to the previous score bracket. If in this previous score bracket a pairing can be made whereby another set of players of the same size and with the same scores will be moved down to the current one, and this now allows P1 pairings to be made then this pairing in the previous score bracket will be accepted.

Alex McFarlane

Post by Alex McFarlane » Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:33 pm

But the didn't have the same scores!!