Media comments on chess

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Chris Rice

Re: Media comments on chess

Post by Chris Rice » Wed Jun 24, 2015 1:21 pm

I don't know the answer to Justin's question but I want to thank him as it caused me to stray upon a report by Beth Cassidy entitled Danger! Women at work! Beth Cassidy played for the Irish women's team in 1957 at Emmen. I had never heard of her before and I feel the poorer for it as It's the funniest Olympiad report I've ever read. http://www.olimpbase.org/1957w/1957in.html (it's the second of the two articles)

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Wed Jun 24, 2015 6:55 pm

:D And thanks Chris for posting a link
Any postings on here represent my personal views

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Sat Jun 27, 2015 8:24 am

A commentor sheds light on the mystery.
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

benedgell

Post by benedgell » Sun Jun 28, 2015 4:54 pm

From The Last Leg last week: http://www.channel4.com/programmes/the- ... /61563-001

and probably especially apt for here:

"Arguing with an idiot is a lot like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter how good you are the pigeon's just going to knock over all the pieces, s**t on the board, and strut around like its won the game."

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Mon Jun 29, 2015 5:09 pm

In the London Review of Books, Thomas Powers writes:
I was in Mitchell’s apartment once or twice – something to do with Christmas – but just about all our conversations took place in the street or in the lobby of 44, where I often came and went around drink time on a visit to one of Barbara’s friends, Ruth Tremain, who had taught maths to Army Air Corps pilots at Yale during the war. She was a strong chess player and we played often while I was writing a piece about Bobby Fischer. Because I had married Candace, on whom Ruth doted, she let me win a few games, but that didn’t last long.
Powers' piece on Fischer is here. Is there any reason to think Ruth Tremain was "a strong chess player"?
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:02 pm

'Child Genius' returned this evening to Channel 4.
Of course you see chess being played a couple of times.
There is always at least one statutory child referred to as a chess champion. This one has the first name Ieysa and has won many trophies. He is home educated in Norfolk, together with his 4 siblings. He seems also be to Italy based.
For me the last series was very revealing. The final winner was a girl who had been a British Junior Champion. She and her parents were never focused on during the series. I presumed this was because they were all perfectly natural human beings.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:07 pm

Stewart Reuben wrote: There is always at least one statutory child referred to as a chess champion. This one has the first name Ieysa and has won many trophies. He is home educated in Norfolk, together with his 4 siblings. He seems also be to Italy based.
You don't remember Mureck then.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/ho ... 46831.html

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:57 pm

Roger >You don't remember Mureck then.<

Correct I hadn't remembered. I didn't want to write, 'Is it this or that family' because that would have led somebody to writing a possibly incorrect answer. Thank you for pinpointing the story.

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Sat Jul 04, 2015 8:22 am

Coming up on Radio 4 at 08:45 - Dominic Lawson on Wei Yi v. Lazaro Bruzon.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Sat Jul 04, 2015 8:55 am

On now. Lawson is saying that it couldn't possibly have been prep because his opponent had played a new move, not necessarily true. Whatever, great to get this coverage.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Sat Jul 04, 2015 9:27 am

ECF President Dominic Lawson waxed lyrical about the masterpiece saying that Wei Yi's long combination - in immediate reply to Bruzon's 19th move novelty - worked like "a beautiful Swiss watch movement..." and that it ended with that chessical rarity know as "a quiet move", which the presenter James Naughtie later called "a silent move". Naughtie had already admitted he was a novice when it came to chess.

I agree with Nick, above, that Bruzon's novelty may not have been refuted at the board and could have been in Wei Yi's prep.

May I suggest any further discussion of the game itself be conducted in the thread relevant to the tournament -

http://www.ecforum.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=7549

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Sat Jul 04, 2015 5:52 pm

"Such a chess match at time, tennis matches" commentator during Ward 3rd round match fifth set.

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Mon Jul 06, 2015 11:10 am

"But it's not like playing chess. We're not robots. You have to have the physical strength to react to things." http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cycling/33222937

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Mon Jul 06, 2015 11:31 am

LawrenceCooper wrote:" You have to have the physical strength to react to things.
Like chess, cycling has a potential problem with hidden devices.

http://cyclingtips.com.au/2015/04/hidde ... they-work/
and elsewhere. ( Google for cycling mechanical assistance )

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Mon Jul 06, 2015 11:52 am

The F1 commentary yesterday (Radio 5 live) had the high speed game of chess analogy - maybe it is in the commentators training manual to compare everything to chess
Any postings on here represent my personal views