International Organiser seminar

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
soheil_hooshdaran

Re: International Organiser seminar

Post by soheil_hooshdaran » Wed Sep 30, 2015 8:32 pm

Stewart Reuben wrote:Soheil. The title may prove useful for you. e.g. it lends gravitas to your seeking to get players to compete. e.g. it may help you present a case to prospective sponsors. e,g, It may improve your standing within your federation.
Will I be given the IO title after passing the course or do I still need to organize events?
And do you think there is need for another IO in Iran?

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Wed Sep 30, 2015 11:57 pm

Soheil. Try reading what I wrote originally.
Attendees who pass the exam on Sunday and who speak at least two languages will be entitled to apply for the International Organiser's Title, having also organised three chess events which are FIDE Rated.
Full details can be found on http://www.fide.com/fide/handbook.html? ... w=category.

Need is a funny word. I have no idea how many IOs there are in Iran. You said that you were thinking of organising some international tournaments in Iran. Why not ask Merhdad for his opinion?

soheil_hooshdaran

Post by soheil_hooshdaran » Thu Oct 01, 2015 7:51 am

Stewart Reuben wrote:Soheil. Try reading what I wrote originally.
Attendees who pass the exam on Sunday and who speak at least two languages will be entitled to apply for the International Organiser's Title, having also organised three chess events which are FIDE Rated.
Full details can be found on http://www.fide.com/fide/handbook.html? ... w=category.
That's what I mean. I have not organized any FIDE-rated Events
Need is a funny word. I have no idea how many IOs there are in Iran. You said that you were thinking of organising some international tournaments in Iran. Why not ask Merhdad for his opinion?
I tried emailing him but got no answer.

Michael Farthing

Post by Michael Farthing » Thu Oct 01, 2015 11:23 am

Stewart,

I am eagerly awaiting the answers to the questions you asked Soheil.
[Seriously, (well, actually question 2)]

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Thu Oct 01, 2015 2:03 pm

Soheil, in case you stll don't understand. To get the IO title you hv to pass the exam and also run three internationally rated events. They can come in any order,
1. How many GMs do you have to meet in order to get a GM norm in a 9 round tournament? THREE

2. What is the minimum space required for each player in an adult tournament of 100 players or more? TWO SQ.M approx. Down to 1.7 for a very big event. Up to 3 for a small one. Also the space needed is affected by pillars i n th hall and the number of entrances.

3. What is the first question an organiser should ask about an event in which he is interested in organising? What are the objectives?

4. Give one advantage of a Swiss System tournament over an all-play-all. It can cope with far more players in one section.

5, Give one advantage of an all-play-all over a Swiss System tournament. It gives a far more accurate ranking of the players. I think it helps players improve more as they can prepare better for their games.

6. What is the minimum average rating of the opponents required for somebody to get a GM norm? 2380

7. Why are so few matches organised? The cost is prohibitive for such a small number of players.

8. There is a maximum number of rounds for a tournament for title norms. If the event is longer than that, it only counts at that maximum number. What is that number? 13

9. What is the lighting level you should be aiming for in the tournament hall? 800 lux.

10. In the budget what are contingencies'? Money set aside for emergencies after the budget has been finalised.

soheil_hooshdaran

Post by soheil_hooshdaran » Thu Oct 01, 2015 10:53 pm

I even don't know what is a "lux."!

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Thu Oct 01, 2015 11:24 pm

soheil_hooshdaran wrote:I even don't know what is a "lux."!
It's a measure of illumination.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lux

The wiki suggests that "office" lighting would be a maximum of 500, whilst Stewart's tournament suggestion or recommendation is 800. I've almost certainly played with less, sometimes you just have to remember where the Black pieces are.

Rooms can be deceptive, last weekend at the Hull Congress taking place in the University, there were plenty of light fittings, but they appeared to have been fitted with the lowest powered bulbs possible. Natural light from the windows made it OK on the Saturday and Sunday rounds, but the Friday evening round was decidedly gloomy. The organisers are aware of this and have an alternative room in mind for next year.

The only venue I know that could be too bright was the Horntye Park Sports Hall in Hastings. This was set up with enough illumination for indoor cricket and less lighting proved necessary for when the Chess Congress is held there.

E Michael White

Post by E Michael White » Fri Oct 02, 2015 1:10 pm

Stewart Reuben wrote:2. What is the minimum space required for each player in an adult tournament of 100 players or more? TWO SQ.M approx. Down to 1.7 for a very big event.
2 or 1.7 sq metres might be ok for a small player like Stewart but normal sized players would need more space probably 2.5 sq mtrs per player. The FIDE standards - C02. Standards of Chess Equipment and tournament venue for FIDE Tournaments specify 2.5 sq mtrs per player or 5 sq mtrs per board.
FIDE Handbook C02 wrote: 6. Tournament Halls

For top level tournaments a minimum space of 9 square meters per board is necessary, space for arbiters and spectators not included. For other tournaments there should be a minimum space of 5 square meters per board. The distance between the chess boards and the spectators should be not less than one meter, for top level tournaments 1.5 meters.

Steven DuCharme

Post by Steven DuCharme » Fri Oct 02, 2015 7:03 pm

I wonder what Fischer's optimum Lux number was
I float like a pawn island and sting like an ignored knight :mrgreen:

soheil_hooshdaran

Post by soheil_hooshdaran » Sat Oct 03, 2015 6:16 am

I know a bit Farsi and a bit English. Does it suffice?

Also, I don't get. If I take part in the seminar and organized three events afterwards, Who will give me the title?

And What the events need to be?

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Sat Oct 03, 2015 1:07 pm

Soheil >If I take part in the seminar and organized three events afterwards, Who will give me the title?<

An application will then need to be made by your federation to FIDE. They then decide whether the application is valid. If so, the application is posted on the FIDE website so that any objections can be made. If there is none, you will then be awarded the title. Your knowledge of Farsi and English is adequate. I am making an assumption about your knowledge of Farsi of course. The three events need to be FIDE Rated.

Steven Ducharme >I wonder what Fischer's optimum Lux number was<
I can't remember what the number was he stated, on advice from a lighting expert. I think the 800 lux I chose was somewhat lower than Bobby's expressed preference. If I remember correctly that was 1200.
It is perfectly true that the lights are (or were) dimmed at Horntye Park because the illumination needed to play cricket is greater than the optimum for chess. David Welch did not use a light meter, but his own judgement.
In 1986 in London for the World Championship, we had fluorescents with dimmers. First Karpov came and asked for level 9. Later Kasparov came and asked for level 7 (or the other way round). They did not inspect the premises together. So I compromised on setting 8. Neither ever made any comment.
After the first round started at the Park Lane Hotel, I left the playing hall. Somebody said to me that the lighting had gone out on the stage. I returned and found this was indeed so.
I said to Lothat Schmid, the chief Arbiter, 'The lighting has gone out on the stage'.
'Yes, I know,' he responded.
'Don't you think it should be corrected?'
'I don't know how. You go and do it.'
'But I am not allowed in the playing area.'
Lothar, 'I give you permission to go there'.
So I did. I waited until Karpov moved and changed the rheostat from 0 to 8. Karpov came off stage to go to his retirmen room and I smiled weakly at him. How it happened, I never found out. Nobody ever commented on the whole matter.

soheil_hooshdaran

Post by soheil_hooshdaran » Sat Oct 03, 2015 5:42 pm

I didn't get it. Do you recognize Farsi?

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Sat Oct 03, 2015 8:20 pm

Soheil
Of course I don't know Farsi. I am assuming you write and speak it adequately.

Have you read my book yet?

soheil_hooshdaran

Post by soheil_hooshdaran » Sat Oct 03, 2015 9:49 pm

No, not yet

soheil_hooshdaran

Post by soheil_hooshdaran » Sun Oct 04, 2015 3:04 pm

Stewart Reuben wrote:Soheil
Of course I don't know Farsi. I am assuming you write and speak it adequately.
I didn't say you do. I asked what languages must one know?