A minor yet irritating point of chess etiquette

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Ian Thompson

Re: A minor yet irritating point of chess etiquette

Post by Ian Thompson » Thu Sep 01, 2016 12:01 am

Barry Sandercock wrote:I played an 11 year old junior recently. He continually held on to the piece when putting it on a square. Looked round the board for a minute or so, then moved it back and moved it to a different square, still holding it and again looked round the board, eventually deciding where to put it. This happened move after move. Is there any rule for this ?
Law 11.5 - "It is forbidden to distract ... the opponent in any manner whatsoever." clearly prohibits this in my opinion.

Peter D Williams

Re: A minor yet irritating point of chess etiquette

Post by Peter D Williams » Thu Sep 01, 2016 4:07 pm

Barry Sandercock wrote:I played an 11 year old junior recently. He continually held on to the piece when putting it on a square. Looked round the board for a minute or so, then moved it back and moved it to a different square, still holding it and again looked round the board, eventually deciding where to put it. This happened move after move. Is there any rule for this ? I`ve never come across this before, in 75 years of playing chess.
Afternoon friends
I have played plenty of Adults who have held onto the piece when puting it on a square.Adults are just as guilty of breaking the rules of chess as juniors are. I have seen all sorts of weird behavior at the board by Adults.

I do hope your all enjoying the warm weather keep cool chill out. 8)
when you are successful many losers bark at you.