Rule 10.2 (a) AGAIN then

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Paul Dargan

Re: Rule 10.2 (a) AGAIN then

Post by Paul Dargan » Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:43 pm

K+R+N v's K+R didn't Polgar once lose this or come close to losing this against Kasparov?

Michael Bennett

Post by Michael Bennett » Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:56 pm

Yes she did.

Michael Bennett
Hendon Chess Club: http://www.hendonchessclub.com
Golders Green Rapidplays: http://www.goldersgreenchess.blogspot.com

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:21 pm

Michael Bennett wrote:Yes she did.
Move 79 appears to be the culprit with 79. .. Rf1+ the only move to draw.

Martin Benjamin

Post by Martin Benjamin » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:01 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Martin Benjamin wrote:I just can’t see any convincing arguments for retaining guillotine finishes which will sometimes lead to 10.2 disputes.
There are two very obvious ones.

The first is that digital clocks are by no means universal.

The second is that Congresses with multiple rounds in a day have schedules to stick to. e2e4 use 30 second increments so lack of scoring isn't a problem, but about once every five or ten Congresses they have to postpone the next round because the pairings cannot be done because of a game in progress. If you use increments of less than 30 seconds, the tournament arbiters need to know how to stop games where the 50 move rule would apply under normal circumstances.

In e2e4, there's an (informal) rule, that players in a late finishing game can request a modest postponement of their game in the next round.
Roger - I don’t find these arguments “convincing”. I think both objections are easily overcome if there is sufficient will. I think that many supporters of quickplay finishes in preference to increments are guilty of the very same suspicion of change they criticise in those who wish to retain adjudication and adjournment.
Paul McKeown wrote:10.2 is clear and entirely fair; arbiters making occasional mistakes is a poor reason to abandon them. I personally loathe increments, essentially you are in time pressure from move 1, and a game may actually not end until one of the players keels over dead, if the increment is too short to allow the recording of moves in order to claim a draw.
Paul – The fact that this subject is being debated at length for the umpteenth time with different opinions from lots of experienced players suggests to me that interpreting 10.2 is not clear, and I am sure you have seen enough 10.2 disputes. I personally loathe quickplay finishes which involve someone losing on time with overwhelming material advantage, or pieces rolling around the board in a flurry of moves and clock-bashing, or one player essentially shuffling his pieces to win on time while pretending it is a serious winning attempt. Surely increments must be better than that.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:22 pm

Martin Benjamin wrote: I think both objections are easily overcome if there is sufficient will. I think that many supporters of quickplay finishes in preference to increments are guilty of the very same suspicion of change they criticise in those who wish to retain adjudication and adjournment.
If clubs don't have digital clocks, that's something of an impediment to their use. If Congresses want an absolute assurance that games will be completed inside a fixed time frame, then you cannot use increments in their standard 30 second form. e2e4 have demonstrated that there are no particular difficulties using the 90 30 move rate, other than restricting the event to two rounds a day and suffering the problem of a overrunning rounds every so often. 10 second increments have been used by some events but it remains unclear how you terminate a game if 50 moves and repetition claims aren't possible and neither is arbiter intervention by 10.2 .

The timetabling issue is a serious one. The 4NCL considered introducing the increment equivalent to its seven hour sessions, but player opinion rejected it. I don't think the rejection was because of the potential delay to the evening meal on the Saturday, but the complete mess a long game could cause to travel arrangements on the Sunday.

Outside of London and surrounding areas, Birmingham and Sussex, I would think that games completed in a single session are universal and players will have devised a pace of play they feel comfortable with. If you don't like clock bashing and your league has a single session time control like G/90, you can completely avoid time scrambles for yourself by playing quickly enough for the whole game.

In single session leagues, the debate has moved on to allow increment move rates, clocks permitting and devising suitable rules for their use.

Martin Benjamin

Post by Martin Benjamin » Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:20 pm

I don't want to pursue this ad nauseam, so I shall keep it brief, but most clubs and individuals could afford digital clocks if the desire was strong enough. I have taken digital clocks from my club to other clubs for away matches to counter this problem. I think it is used more often as an excuse to avoid change than it is raised as a principled objection. As for tournament rounds running over, make the time controls such that a minimum of 120 moves or even 150 moves are guaranteed to be completed within the round time, with 10 seconds per move increment guaranteeing at least an additional 30 moves in 10 minutes thereafter, which is hardly a disaster. I rarely have time for weekend chess, but I believe that rounds starting late are not unusual as things stand. If a watertight solution is needed, as a last resort in exceptional circumstances, allow the arbiter to impose a compulsory 2 minute blitz finish.

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:33 pm

Martin Benjamin wrote:I rarely have time for weekend chess, but I believe that rounds starting late are not unusual as things stand. If a watertight solution is needed, as a last resort in exceptional circumstances, allow the arbiter to impose a compulsory 2 minute blitz finish.
The main problem with over-running is the pairings for the following round. Examples of over-running increment chess should be noted, and then set against the number of games that didn't over-run. I remember the entry forms for the London congresses organised by Tony Corfe and TCS some time ago had the claim that they had never had an increments game exceeding the allotted time slot, though that may have happened eventually. Sean, with his e2e4 tournaments will be able to give some statistics as well - certainly one game at Hinckley back in August 2012 did over-run (to the extent that the final round started late for the top half of the draw in the Open). Actual numbers can be ascertained here. I would say less than 10 versus hundreds (possibly over a thousand) that didn't over-run, but that is just a guess.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:51 am

Christopher Kreuzer wrote: The main problem with over-running is the pairings for the following round.
Up to a point, the players may self police this. A desire for lunch or respect for the other players can overcome the attractions of torturing someone in a drawn position for fifty moves. My record is 20 moves and about twenty minutes. In a position with R + 2 v R+ 1 all on the same side, the R+1 v R was a fairly obvious draw because the defending King was in the right place. So I spent 30 moves trying to fiddle something. I could have continued for 50 moves or longer if I had gone for the R + 1 v R. In the event I decided to accept the logic of the position and allow the pairings for the next round to be prepared.

At one of the e2e4 Wycombe Congresses, March 2012 probably, the last round in the Open was delayed because there was still a round 4 game in progress at the scheduled start time.

Richard Bates

Post by Richard Bates » Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:21 am

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Michael Bennett wrote:Yes she did.
Move 79 appears to be the culprit with 79. .. Rf1+ the only move to draw.
Hmmm. Bit tougher than i thought, even though the King was cut off. Tricky pieces, knights! Note: to self - don't head for a corner...

Chris Rice

Post by Chris Rice » Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:34 am

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Christopher Kreuzer wrote: The main problem with over-running is the pairings for the following round.
Up to a point, the players may self police this. A desire for lunch or respect for the other players can overcome the attractions of torturing someone in a drawn position for fifty moves. My record is 20 moves and about twenty minutes. In a position with R + 2 v R+ 1 all on the same side, the R+1 v R was a fairly obvious draw because the defending King was in the right place. So I spent 30 moves trying to fiddle something. I could have continued for 50 moves or longer if I had gone for the R + 1 v R. In the event I decided to accept the logic of the position and allow the pairings for the next round to be prepared.

At one of the e2e4 Wycombe Congresses, March 2012 probably, the last round in the Open was delayed because there was still a round 4 game in progress at the scheduled start time.
If the occasional game was over running couldn't the pairings for the next round assume a draw/win? That's what they used to do in the good old days of adjournments.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:39 am

What I suspect to be the "Southend" position has been published at the Streatham blog.

http://streathambrixtonchess.blogspot.c ... xviii.html

You may not want to regard it as conclusive, but the final position as quoted is a draw according to tablebases and if played with an increment between two GMs, it's difficult to see any other result, provided the defender had knowledge of what positions to avoid.

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:52 am

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Up to a point, the players may self police this.
Up to a point. Though if I was material up against a higher-rated player (or any player, really), in contention for a prize, or something like that, and I agreed a draw when a win was there to be found, that would be depressing. I would not want the 'pressure' of finishing before the next round is due to start, to affect my play, but it probably would! It can be worse for the defender. You obviously don't want to resign, but your opponent may not want to agree a draw! If they can't find the winning method, you have to just sit there!

Thomas Rendle

Post by Thomas Rendle » Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:19 am

The fact the position is a tablebase draw is surely missing the point. Polgar lost R vs R+N. It's happened to lots of strong players. I lost it under time-pressure after a 7 hour game at the British Championship - maybe I should've just let my flag fall!

Should Black hold the draw? Probably. Would Black hold the draw at the end of a tiring game in the final round of a tough tournament under time-pressure? Who knows. Can a draw be correctly awarded? No.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:44 am

Thomas Rendle wrote:I lost it under time-pressure after a 7 hour game at the British Championship - maybe I should've just let my flag fall!
Assuming it was before the days of increments, then with two minutes remaining you offer a draw. When refused, you summon the arbiter to escalate to a 10.2 claim. Play will almost certainly continue with the arbiter observing. If your flag falls, the arbiter may still award a draw. The key point, which has been in the Laws of Chess since 1997 is that you have to claim. Before that, some interpretations, notably those of the BCF and British arbiters was that the "controller" could award the draw regardless.

Contrary to many posters, I don't think it correct for arbiters to award wins in positions that would be clearly drawn in normal play, whether with increments or adjournments. So I support the original decision and I don't think "might blunder due to tiredness" qualifies as a normal means of winning.

For the practical player attempting to win on time, when that is the only realistic way you are likely to win, I would think you have to keep it complex and risk the arbiter making judgements on the quality of your play. I don't think it is making progress to a win if you simplify from a moderately complex ending to one that is a theoretical draw.

Michael Bennett

Post by Michael Bennett » Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:49 am

Thomas Rendle wrote:The fact the position is a tablebase draw is surely missing the point. Polgar lost R vs R+N. It's happened to lots of strong players. I lost it under time-pressure after a 7 hour game at the British Championship - maybe I should've just let my flag fall!

Should Black hold the draw? Probably. Would Black hold the draw at the end of a tiring game in the final round of a tough tournament under time-pressure? Who knows. Can a draw be correctly awarded? No.
I totally agree with this.
Michael Bennett
Hendon Chess Club: http://www.hendonchessclub.com
Golders Green Rapidplays: http://www.goldersgreenchess.blogspot.com