Coronavirus leading to cancellation?

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
MJMcCready

Re: coronavirus leading to cancellation?

Post by MJMcCready » Mon Mar 02, 2020 1:35 pm

Tim Spanton wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 8:04 pm
MJMcCready wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 5:16 pm
I can assure you there are at least two international tournaments in the next six weeks that have had more than 100 entrants drop out. Can't name them though-sorry.
Why not?
A number of people who are members here are participating. If everyone cancelled there would be an almighty bill to be paid for the playing hall. We can't be sure of exactly why so many have pulled out or whether they will rejoin but the playing hall did not come cheap, of that we are certain.

Nick Grey

Post by Nick Grey » Mon Mar 02, 2020 11:24 pm

The surrey case was Haslemere. Last time I played their was football and only after 6 consecutive cancelled pitches.

Check with your LA and School. A big one on my way to work hit the National news this morning And ES this afternoon.

I doubt your insurance covers going against LA and School and I know that deaths outbreaks are not immune from being prosecuted.

ben.graff

Post by ben.graff » Tue Mar 03, 2020 11:43 am

Paul, thanks for sharing your helpful suggestions. I manage the Leamington League and we’ve changed our rules through to the end of the season, to make it easier for games to be postponed if people fall ill. We have also moved to a presumption that handshakes will not take place and have encouraged our clubs to consider providing hand sanitisers, albeit we felt we couldn’t mandate this.

Definitely all about being proportionate and sensible. Our clubs do not need any encouraging to look after their members, but obviously looking out for those in the chess community who might be more frail or isolated is I’m sure something we will all keep in mind.
Ben Graff
Author of 'Checkmate! Great Champions And Epic Matches From A Timeless Game' 'The Greenbecker Gambit' and 'Find Another Place'

Paul McKeown

Post by Paul McKeown » Tue Mar 03, 2020 8:46 pm

NickFaulks wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 1:05 pm
Paul McKeown wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 3:22 am
nor is there any notable evidence yet for transmission within the United Kingdom
That was true when you wrote it, but it isn't now.
Yes. It looks like it is heading this way. We just don't know now whether it will fizzle, become a big killer - and even then we don't know how big - or even become endemic, like the seasonal flu. One thing that the experts do seem to agree upon, though, is that it isn't as dangerous as the 1918 pandemic flu was, nor does it attack the young and the healthy as the 1918 flu virus did.

Chris Rice

Post by Chris Rice » Tue Mar 03, 2020 10:19 pm

FIDE have updated their medical security policy and protocol for upcoming events in February, March and April. It looks like a well laid out battle plan and will be continuously reviewed. Its clear that FIDE intend to go ahead with their events such as the World Senior Teams in Prague in a couple of days time. It will be interesting to see whether this will give sufficient assurances to participants not to drop out. The Czech Republic got their first three cases of coronavirus on Sunday and have already implemented a two week ban on flights from South Korea and Milan, Venice and Bologna in Northern Italy.

Chris Rice

Post by Chris Rice » Wed Mar 04, 2020 7:28 am

Looks like Bangkok Open may well be cancelled this year according to Nigel Short

Ian Thompson

Post by Ian Thompson » Wed Mar 04, 2020 8:56 am

Chris Rice wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 7:28 am
Looks like Bangkok Open may well be cancelled this year according to Nigel Short
Confirmed as postponed, maybe until October, by the organisers - http://bangkokchess.com/.

Paul McKeown

Post by Paul McKeown » Wed Mar 04, 2020 1:29 pm

ben.graff wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 11:43 am
Paul, thanks for sharing your helpful suggestions. I manage the Leamington League and we’ve changed our rules through to the end of the season, to make it easier for games to be postponed if people fall ill. We have also moved to a presumption that handshakes will not take place and have encouraged our clubs to consider providing hand sanitisers, albeit we felt we couldn’t mandate this.

Definitely all about being proportionate and sensible. Our clubs do not need any encouraging to look after their members, but obviously looking out for those in the chess community who might be more frail or isolated is I’m sure something we will all keep in mind.
Thank you for your constructive post. Yes, it's all about proportion and common sense.

Paul McKeown

Post by Paul McKeown » Wed Mar 04, 2020 1:31 pm

Chris Rice wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 10:19 pm
FIDE have updated their medical security policy and protocol for upcoming events in February, March and April. It looks like a well laid out battle plan and will be continuously reviewed.
Thanks for this, Chris, very interesting to see what FIDE proposes.

It is a very comprehensive protocol and very commendable - but only possible for a very large organisation with deep pockets.

I will study it in depth, to see what Richmond Juniors and Richmond Rapidplays could sensibly do that we are not doing.

MartinCarpenter

Post by MartinCarpenter » Wed Mar 04, 2020 2:30 pm

One thing to definitely remember - junior events aside - there's a profoundly uncomfortable overlap between the section of the population for which this is a very dangerous virus indeed and the demographics of chess players. Especially for seniors events.

Thomas Rendle

Post by Thomas Rendle » Wed Mar 04, 2020 3:05 pm

It seems sensible for leagues/events to encourage players who are ill to self-isolate/not turn up by relaxing rules on defaults (ie not enforcing penalty points for leagues) and refunding players who pull out of tournaments due to sickness.

Obviously you could have players abusing this and claiming to be ill to avoid the penalty, but still seems easily worth it to me.

R G Edwards

Post by R G Edwards » Wed Mar 04, 2020 4:39 pm

Given the observable level of self-care amongst many players, I suggest that chess is a particularly risky activity at the moment.

Frequently I have observed players using the toilet and not washing their hands. And then going out and shaking hands. And touching the pieces and the clock. Horrible. What's wrong with these people? Brings a new meaning to 'poisoned pawn'.

Daniel Gormally

Post by Daniel Gormally » Wed Mar 04, 2020 5:17 pm

I think you only need to see the state of the toilets at some chess events to get a feel for the level of hygiene.

Paul McKeown

Post by Paul McKeown » Wed Mar 04, 2020 5:43 pm

The toilets are one of many reasons that I don't play many big tournaments. The revulsion factor is too high.

Chris Rice

Post by Chris Rice » Wed Mar 04, 2020 6:11 pm

Daniel Gormally wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 5:17 pm
I think you only need to see the state of the toilets at some chess events to get a feel for the level of hygiene.
I often give advice to people going for job interviews that they should use the company toilets with the view that the level of hygiene is often a very good indicator of how they will treat their staff.