Final standings in abandoned leagues

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
LawrenceCooper

Re: Final standings in abandoned leagues

Post by LawrenceCooper » Sun Mar 15, 2020 6:22 pm

NickFaulks wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 6:06 pm
LawrenceCooper wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 5:49 pm
I'm none the wiser on the points raised above
You should be wiser. Team events which manage to play fewer that eight games will not get norms. For precisely eight, a concession will be offered which may be of some value.

It is obviously too early to make full rules for the season being extended by more than six months, but if that looks a plausible outcome there will be updates.
Hi Nick,

I read the information about the number of games required for norms but didn't see any specific information about extensions beyond a year. Your note is therefore useful in acknowledging the specific point that I was interested in.

Jonathan Rogers

Post by Jonathan Rogers » Sun Mar 15, 2020 7:34 pm

Yes, I read it as did Loz, ie no provisions (yet) for extended league seasons. Maybe the possibility will be added. Arguably it doesn't much change the case for finishing this season over next season, since the other possibilities for resolving this season are still worse for potential norm makers.

Nick Grey

Post by Nick Grey » Sun Mar 15, 2020 8:15 pm

Isthmian League was complete in 62-63. Last time not was War.

John Sargent

Post by John Sargent » Sun Mar 15, 2020 10:49 pm

The London Chess League's intention is to suspend play (if League nights and matches are forced to cease), and resume the current season as and when it is safe to do so, pushing back the start of the next season if that is what is required.

Obviously, predicting exactly how this would work is difficult at best, primarily because we don't know how long the suspension would be for, so details of how this will work is TBC.

Adam Raoof

Post by Adam Raoof » Sun Mar 15, 2020 10:58 pm

I do not think that leagues will be in a much stronger position with regard to this outbreak when the new season starts... and I am an optimist!
Adam Raoof IA, IO
Chess England Events - https://chessengland.com/
The Chess Circuit - https://chesscircuit.substack.com/
Don’t stop playing chess!

Roger Lancaster

Post by Roger Lancaster » Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:20 pm

Nick Grey wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 8:15 pm
Isthmian League was complete in 62-63. Last time not was War.
For those whose memories don't stretch back that far, the Great Freeze began in the closing days of December 1962 and persisted until March. That certainly caused major problems, by comparison with which the postponement of football matches was [except, perhaps, to the most committed fans!] relatively trivial. But the key difference is that the 1962-63 disruption occurred earlier in the sporting year, leaving more weeks to make up for lost time.

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:16 am

John Sargent wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 10:49 pm
The London Chess League's intention is to suspend play (if League nights and matches are forced to cease), and resume the current season as and when it is safe to do so, pushing back the start of the next season if that is what is required.

Obviously, predicting exactly how this would work is difficult at best, primarily because we don't know how long the suspension would be for, so details of how this will work is TBC.
When will there be an official statement on the London League website?

MartinCarpenter

Post by MartinCarpenter » Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:59 am

David Sedgwick wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 2:23 pm
I would have thought that most leagues will wish to complete their 2019 - 2020 programmes if at all possible.

If it becomes feasible to play again in June and July, then postponed games could take place then.
I'm genuinely curious - would most people actually want to do this?

You always get far fewer players in summer leagues than winter.

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Mon Mar 16, 2020 10:06 am

MartinCarpenter wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:59 am
David Sedgwick wrote:
I would have thought that most leagues will wish to complete their 2019 - 2020 programmes if at all possible.

If it becomes feasible to play again in June and July, then postponed games could take place then.

Good question; I'd actually assume the summer leagues wouldn't take place this year

I think it is more likely that the winter league season will be postponed until September/October with a view to finishing by mid-December

You can then find a way to shorten the next season e.g. don't play matches home and away, just play each team once, or have smaller divisions with fewer teams and fewer fixtures

Or you could be radical, and switch to seasons being played over a calendar year, with a summer break; you could do this with the county championships and have the union stages starting January 2021, with the national stages from, say, early October
Any postings on here represent my personal views

Ian Thompson

Post by Ian Thompson » Mon Mar 16, 2020 10:52 am

MartinCarpenter wrote:
David Sedgwick wrote:

You're right under normal circumstances. But why do many people not want to play over the summer?

One reason might be that people want a break from playing chess; this year they will have had an enforced break. Another reason might be going away on holiday. That might not be possible this year. I, for example, have no intention of booking any foreign travel until I'm reasonably certain it won't get disrupted.

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Mon Mar 16, 2020 1:00 pm

David Sedgwick wrote:

MartinCarpenter wrote:

Mick Norris wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 10:06 am
Good question; I'd actually assume the summer leagues wouldn't take place this year

I think it is more likely that the winter league season will be postponed until September/October with a view to finishing by mid-December

You can then find a way to shorten the next season e.g. don't play matches home and away, just play each team once, or have smaller divisions with fewer teams and fewer fixtures

Or you could be radical, and switch to seasons being played over a calendar year, with a summer break; you could do this with the county championships and have the union stages starting January 2021, with the national stages from, say, early October
Ian Thompson wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 10:52 am
You're right under normal circumstances. But why do many people not want to play over the summer?

One reason might be that people want a break from playing chess; this year they will have had an enforced break. Another reason might be going away on holiday. That might not be possible this year. I, for example, have no intention of booking any foreign travel until I'm reasonably certain it won't get disrupted.
All this is rather academic until we have a match clearer idea of when we might be able to resume.

When that day arrives, I suspect that leagues will find a number of different solutions.

However, I shall be surprised if we end up with any thing as radical as Mick Norris has suggested.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Wed Mar 18, 2020 5:35 pm

The 1989/90 season in Costa Rica was never finished despite being extended to October 1990.
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com