Worrying times

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Matt Mackenzie

Re: Worrying times

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:41 pm

Tim Spanton wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 3:33 pm
Mixed signals on the streets of London today.
This morning I saw three policemen (one more than the power of two) hassling an Asian-looking chap who was sitting by himself on a bench on the South Bank soaking up the sun. One asked him what he was doing, and he said he had just finished a night-shift (I didn't catch what his work was) and was about to go home. The officer insisted he go home immediately.
This afternoon, near where I live, I saw a dry cleaner's open for business as normal.

https://beauchess.blogspot.com/
Doing absolutely nothing against the new "instructions" then?
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

Gordon Cadden

Post by Gordon Cadden » Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:47 pm

Geoff Chandler wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:04 am
It's hard to imagine everything returning to normal. (what ever that was?)

When I first heard of the ibuprofen rumours I was thinking this was government spread because stupid
people with the virus use it to lower their temperature so they can get past the first stage of screening.

I'd like to think I'm wrong but if I'm right then that would not surprise me. The past few weeks have shown
humans in all their selfish glory and it will get worse.

But what the hey, keep smiling. Watch Avenue 5 (I get it on NOW TV) brilliant viewing for those currently self isolating.

(see previous post)
Not seen any tanks patrolling the streets of Edinburgh yet but will keep you informed....
Believe that Nicola has additional Powers in Scotland. She may break away from the Union, to look after her own. Scotland has plenty of Fish to supply her nation, with Haggis as a last resort. Of course Scots whisky will keep everyone going.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:54 pm

Gordon Cadden wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:47 pm

Believe that Nicola has additional Powers in Scotland. She may break away from the Union, to look after her own
How would that happen do you think
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:07 pm

JustinHorton wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:54 pm
The same way Southern Rhodesia did it, presumably.

Or Biafra. Or Bangladesh, which was successful.

South Sudan. I'll stop now.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Tim Spanton

Post by Tim Spanton » Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:35 pm

Matt Mackenzie wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:41 pm
Tim Spanton wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 3:33 pm
Mixed signals on the streets of London today.
This morning I saw three policemen (one more than the power of two) hassling an Asian-looking chap who was sitting by himself on a bench on the South Bank soaking up the sun. One asked him what he was doing, and he said he had just finished a night-shift (I didn't catch what his work was) and was about to go home. The officer insisted he go home immediately.
This afternoon, near where I live, I saw a dry cleaner's open for business as normal.

https://beauchess.blogspot.com/
Doing absolutely nothing against the new "instructions" then?
If he had been wriggling his toes, perhaps he could have claimed he was exercising

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:34 pm

NickFaulks wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:07 pm
JustinHorton wrote:

Thank you for informing me of these declarations of independence, none of which were previously familiar to me. I wonder in my ignorance whether any of them happened abruptly in the middle of a global pandemic.
"Do you play chess?"

lostontime.blogspot.com

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:29 pm

JustinHorton wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:34 pm
NickFaulks wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:07 pm
JustinHorton wrote:

Thank you for informing me of these declarations of independence, none of which were previously familiar to me. I wonder in my ignorance whether any of them happened abruptly in the middle of a global pandemic.
Well, you did ask. I was going to say that I didn't see what difference the virus made but on reflection, with nations everywhere retreating behind their borders, it might make Scottish independence an easier sell.

The whole idea is of course nonsense. Declarations of independence can only succeed if a large proportion of the population is willing to fight and die for it. I see none of that in Scotland, probably not enough even in Catalonia.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Geoff Chandler

Post by Geoff Chandler » Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:48 pm

Hi Gordon,

All talk of Independence have been shelved till after this virus thing passes.
Reckon it will take quite a while before things go back to normal.

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:59 pm

Interesting anecdotes from Geoff C. and Matt B. though difficult to tell until the antibody testing becomes more widely available (and even then, it will be difficult to be sure when the initial exposure was). I asked this elsewhere, but haven't had a clear answer yet - does anyone know why some people are hit harder than others by this - is it a mix of different strains of the virus, some underlying issue that isn't always apparent (e.g. in the seemingly healthy), or sometimes to do with viral load (front line medical workers, especially ENT workers, seem particularly vulnerable)?

Am wondering what to do for weeks of lockdown. There is something to be said for strict regimented routine. Daily exercise. Keeping in touch with the vulnerable and those needing shopping. Maybe catching up with indoor tasks that keep getting left until later.

I do worry about how bad it will get worldwide and the long-term impact on the world economy.

Things might really never be the same again. :shock:

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:27 pm

"I asked this elsewhere, but haven't had a clear answer yet - does anyone know why some people are hit harder than others by this - is it a mix of different strains of the virus, some underlying issue that isn't always apparent (e.g. in the seemingly healthy), or sometimes to do with viral load (front line medical workers, especially ENT workers, seem particularly vulnerable)?"

It's not really my field, but with the usual flu, some people are hit harder than others, so may be more susceptible. In the days when I used to work with the same people year after year, the same people got colds/flu badly every year and others got away with it, so it may be genetic make-up, or some had a healthier lifestyle. There could be underlying health issues - asthma and similar problems seem to be a problem with Covid-19. If there are different strains, that would be a bit of a nuisance.

Frontline workers are going to be dealing with people who have the virus, and a lot of them, so that may have more effect. Could there be a concentration effect? You pass within a few feet of someone asymptomatic in the street and get a bit of the virus, or you spend hours being breathed on by people who are really suffering. Also, health workers are doing long shifts and are getting tired, and probably not eating properly, which will damage their immune systems.

Incidentally, but just because hydroxychloroquine and chloroquine are anti-malarials which MIGHT help, don't try ingesting aquarium cleaner which has chloroquine in it... You don't know the dose, and you don't know what else is in it. And chemical labelling is complicated. However, "Not for human consumption" is a label you really should believe.

Daniel Gormally

Post by Daniel Gormally » Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:23 pm

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... perts.html

Daily mail seems to back up some of the theories put on here. (but of course it's the daily mail) Not sure I believe in this, but let's hope it's correct. Only more testing can provide the answers

Ian Thompson

Post by Ian Thompson » Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:39 am

So what does anyone knowledgeable think of ChessBase's advice to take vitamin D3 to reduce the chance of getting infected? I wouldn't know, except I note that ChessBase say "Take Vitamin D3 — 5000 IE per day" and a retailer of this product says "Do not take more than once every 7 days".

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:08 am

I thought 10 microgram (400 IU) a day was the usual advice in winter. March to September, you would normally get enough from sunlight, but that doesn't really apply now. US advice suggests maximum of 20 microgram over the age of 70.

https://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/Vitam ... fessional/

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:09 am

Ian Thompson wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:39 am
ChessBase's advice to take vitamin D3 to reduce the chance of getting infected?
Good Lord.

How in God's name does Fred Freidel consider himself qualified to hand out medical advice?

Worse, he writes:
If you want to know the scientific background of what I am saying watch this video lecture by highly qualified Ivor Cummins. It is long and technical, but very convincing in its conclusions.
How "highly qualified"?

Click on the link - which takes us to a page called High Intensity business, so how highly qualifed does that sound to you - and it says:
Ivor Cummins BE(Chem) CEng MIEI is a chemical engineer and has since spent over 25 years in corporate technical leadership and management positions. He was shortlisted in 2015 as one of the top 6 of 500 applicants for “Irish Chartered Engineer of the Year”.
This is stupid irresponsible quackery.
"Do you play chess?"

lostontime.blogspot.com

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:04 am

Yes.

Engineer Cummins is remarkable.

"Several years ago, Ivor encountered a complex technical challenge in his personal life. Receiving poor blood test results, he was unable to get solutions from multiple doctors. He thus embarked on an intense period of biochemical research into the science of human metabolism. Within eight weeks he had resolved and optimized all of his blood test metrics and had shed over 33lb of body fat with relative ease."

Eight weeks to do intensive research, decide on what to do and then implement it and succeed!

He was invited to talk to BACPR.

http://www.bacpr.com/resources/4Z4_BACP ... -2019_.pdf is interesting, not sure of its status, although I do like the fact that the Treasurer is Gill Farthing.

Friedel has his moments. He did a report on a women's tournament that featured many photographs of the players in swimming costumes, which I didn't think was great. Then he has found published annotated games, changed the annotator to "Chessbase" and then sold the database. This is worse.