The price of fun

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Joey Stewart

The price of fun

Post by Joey Stewart » Fri Feb 04, 2022 12:57 am

I was wondering today, with hotels and transport now being at an all time high what do you think a regular tournament player spends on a years worth of chess - I was thinking a ball park figure must be £230 a week (£100 hotel, £50 food and drink, £50 travel, £30 entry) unless there people who have found tricks to bring that down (winning a prize obviously helps) but even so it feels like a lot of money when you stop and think about it...
Lose one queen and it is a disaster, Lose 1000 queens and it is just a statistic.

John Sellen

Re: The price of fun

Post by John Sellen » Fri Feb 04, 2022 6:39 am

" I was wondering today, with hotels and transport now being at an all time high what do you think a regular tournament player spends on a years worth of chess - I was thinking a ball park figure must be £230 a week (£100 hotel, £50 food and drink, £50 travel, £30 entry) unless there people who have found tricks to bring that down (winning a prize obviously helps) but even so it feels like a lot of money when you stop and think about it..."

That's interesting Joey
I have decided it is time for me start OTB chess again and have just entered 2 weekend congesses
Both will involve 3 nights in a hotel
The rough costs will be

Congress One: Hotel £140, Train £20, Food and drink £50, Entry £40 Total £250
Congress Two: Hotel £270 ( Expensive as limited accomodation in the town), Train £45, Food and drink £50, Entry £25 Total £390
Therefore total for 2 weekends of chess £640
If I play 10 games of chess over the 2 weekends this works out at £64 a game !!!!!
Can only agree with you "it feels like a lot of money when you think about it"

LawrenceCooper

Re: The price of fun

Post by LawrenceCooper » Fri Feb 04, 2022 8:41 am

One of many reasons why I prefer to play a one day rapid or blitz to cut out all the hotel & evening meals costs!