The wrong confession...perhaps?

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
MJMcCready

The wrong confession...perhaps?

Post by MJMcCready » Sun Jul 10, 2022 11:16 am

Ok, I am willing to admit it that yes I did post two Kahoot games in the history section, and they seem to have gone down rather well, I am sorry to say. Aided and abetted by my own imagination, this now leaves me in an invidious position because I confess I do actually like making games...and so, here is a 3rd Kahoot, entitled GMs from around the world. Now I should add that when I say around the world, I do mean that and that there are no players from other planets involved, it's just, er, good, earthly GMs. https://kahoot.it/challenge/0153995?cha ... 7447550911 .Now its only available for a month and up to 50 can play but if you reach the limit let me know, I can reassign it to make room for 50 more. I should also point out that I am rather taken aback that at least one culprit in the other two Kahoots scored 100%. As it stands I think that is extremely unlikely with this one as some of the questions & range of answers are so close together they really are tough, some guess work will come into play. I should add further that i did listen to comments made and have adjusted the time frame for each question from 10 seconds to 20 seconds. And lastly, if I get any more 100% scores I will have to fix it with another one where getting anything above 0% is an achievement....why do I get the feeling I will be making another Kahoot, and by all means throw in suggestions.

Ah well, enjoy then...
Last edited by MJMcCready on Sun Jul 10, 2022 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Christopher Kreuzer

Re: The wrong confession...perhaps?

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Sun Jul 10, 2022 11:37 am

It would take a bit more work, but maybe famous chess positions? Would enough people recognise those, and would it maybe be too easy? If you want to do an easy one, limit it to World Champions but use pictures of them as a child or something! :D

MJMcCready

Post by MJMcCready » Sun Jul 10, 2022 11:40 am

I was thinking Swindlers & Time trouble addicts.

MJMcCready

Post by MJMcCready » Sun Jul 10, 2022 11:41 am

Christopher Kreuzer wrote:
Sun Jul 10, 2022 11:37 am
It would take a bit more work, but maybe famous chess positions? Would enough people recognise those, and would it maybe be too easy? If you want to do an easy one, limit it to World Champions but use pictures of them as a child or something! :D
Let me know how you get on if you play. Unfortunately I am a bit of a Kahoot Addict and have made something like 50-60 of them.

MJMcCready

Post by MJMcCready » Sun Jul 10, 2022 11:44 am

I do believe Tal was once bottled in a restaurant in Havana. If there are more GMS who have been bottled, that would be a great choice of topic 'GMs who haven't lost their bottle, rather they received one over the head'...sorry that's my warped sense of humour coming to the fore again.
Last edited by MJMcCready on Sun Jul 10, 2022 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Sun Jul 10, 2022 11:51 am

How many World Champions do we have pictures of when they were relatively unknown? Carlsen is too well known to include in something like that, but the recent pictures of Kasparov as a teenager (with Nikitin), while they were recognisable, were quite different to how he looks now. Would really have to be all GMs to get enough pictures, I think. Wouldn't be easy to find the pictures either (and you do need to be careful about copyright). I am going to do the English GMs one now, will report back on how I do!

MJMcCready

Post by MJMcCready » Sun Jul 10, 2022 11:54 am

Well, the most obvious next example is Female Chess Players. Probably it will be that.

MJMcCready

Post by MJMcCready » Sun Jul 10, 2022 12:00 pm

Sun Jul 10, 2022 11:37 am
It's a nice idea almost reminiscent of that time Matthew Saddler went on tv to participate in the series You Bet! and recognized the final position of 20 Fischer games, and he did it easily. Quite a bit of work though.

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Sun Jul 10, 2022 12:09 pm

Now for the third Kahoot. GMs around the world. Then I need to do other things today...

MJMcCready

Post by MJMcCready » Sun Jul 10, 2022 12:13 pm

Sun Jul 10, 2022 12:09 pm
Now for the third Kahoot. GMs around the world. Then I need to do other things today...
Thanks for playing, hope you enjoy it. It only took about an hour to make.

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Sun Jul 10, 2022 12:22 pm

It was far easier than the Soviet one. Both for this and the English GMs, a process of elimination was possible if you knew what the 'wrong' answers looked like. For the Soviet ones, it was mostly click-and-hope! Thanks again for doing these quizzes. (I am third on the leaderboard, as I got about 5 wrong, I think - did get an answer streak of eight!).

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Sun Jul 10, 2022 12:31 pm

MJMcCready wrote:
Sun Jul 10, 2022 11:44 am
I do believe Tal was once bottled in a restaurant in Havana.
When?
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

MJMcCready

Post by MJMcCready » Sun Jul 10, 2022 12:37 pm

At the Olympiad, so 66 I believe (off the top of my head) Sosonko talks about it in Russian Silhouettes. I thought it was common knowledge tbh.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Sun Jul 10, 2022 12:48 pm

Might well be, but not knowledge that's reached me. You're right, though, Sosonko does say this.
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

MJMcCready

Post by MJMcCready » Sun Jul 10, 2022 12:59 pm

Well, these Russians they do like a drink and become unruly themselves so we don't know what he did for it to happen, probably he caused it (good thing he wasn't bald in those days). At least he didn't jump through a window like Lembet Oll did.