Promoting social OTB chess

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
David York

Promoting social OTB chess

Post by David York » Mon Feb 13, 2023 4:22 pm

I have started a website etc to encourage social chess players to meetup in and around Colchester UK. I'm also working towards having more public chess tables. I have already spoken to some others doing similar things in London and Reading/Oxford but there must be plenty of people wanting to do the same around the country. This is not just for established chess clubs but all those looking to grow the numbers of chess improvers who are not at a stage where they want to aim for formal ratings and league games. I'm keen to share experiences, so please reply and please chip in with your knowledge?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Joey Stewart

Re: Promoting social OTB chess

Post by Joey Stewart » Mon Feb 13, 2023 5:35 pm

It feels like it is an aspect that clubs really need to focus on if they are to avoid a slow decline into death, as the majority of new players entering into the chess world now will be of the "social" or beginner variety but it is obviously quite challenging to get organisers as it requires experienced players to give up their time for free and get no chess of their own in return.

One very key point I've noticed with new players is ensuring the first few experiences are a positive one, as they are not yet invested in the club and can easily leave and never return at that stage.
Lose one queen and it is a disaster, Lose 1000 queens and it is just a statistic.

Paul Habershon

Post by Paul Habershon » Tue Feb 14, 2023 8:13 am

For a few years Bedford's David Cox has made social chess available at the Pavilion Cafe in Bedford Park on Tuesday afternoons for a couple of hours. He brings along sets and clocks, though most players prefer not to use the clocks. No formal membership and no charge except the expectation that you buy refreshments from the cafe. A mix of Bedford Chess Club members and others attend. Numbers fairly steady at 6-10.’

David York

Post by David York » Wed Feb 15, 2023 10:51 pm

Paul Habershon wrote:
Tue Feb 14, 2023 8:13 am
For a few years Bedford's David Cox has made social chess available at the Pavilion Cafe in Bedford Park on Tuesday afternoons for a couple of hours. He brings along sets and clocks, though most players prefer not to use the clocks. No formal membership and no charge except the expectation that you buy refreshments from the cafe. A mix of Bedford Chess Club members and others attend. Numbers fairly steady at 6-10.’
Thanks for the tip off. That's a good initiative. I looked at the cafe's Facebook and found regular adverts for the weekly chess. A bit light on information though, as the accompanying text says 'Grab your rooks and head to the park' - which implies take your own sets.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

David York

Post by David York » Wed Feb 15, 2023 11:05 pm

Joey Stewart wrote:
Mon Feb 13, 2023 5:35 pm
It feels like it is an aspect that clubs really need to focus on if they are to avoid a slow decline into death, as the majority of new players entering into the chess world now will be of the "social" or beginner variety but it is obviously quite challenging to get organisers as it requires experienced players to give up their time for free and get no chess of their own in return.

One very key point I've noticed with new players is ensuring the first few experiences are a positive one, as they are not yet invested in the club and can easily leave and never return at that stage.
Absolutely agree about being vital to clubs but difficult to find organisers. Juniors can be brought on by setting up a junior section or club and the motivation for the experienced players is probably greatest when their own children become interested in chess. Great example in Colchester where a junior club is thriving! https://www.colchesterjrchess.org/

Also agree about ensuring the first few experiences are a positive one. I was at a club evening recently where four potential new members arrived and I felt really happy that I had been the first club member through the door that evening and so was well placed to give them an enthusiastic welcome and get them playing some chess. Turned out one had been playing social chess at the London Chess Community Thornhill Arms meetups, so he had come through to a club from social chess. That is why I am focussing on social chess. It is great on its own and as far as clubs are concerned it is a feeder, as the wider base that grass roots chess has, the more people will come through to club level.

Paul Habershon

Post by Paul Habershon » Thu Feb 16, 2023 4:07 pm

David York wrote:
Wed Feb 15, 2023 10:51 pm
Paul Habershon wrote:
Tue Feb 14, 2023 8:13 am
Thanks for the tip off. That's a good initiative. I looked at the cafe's Facebook and found regular adverts for the weekly chess. A bit light on information though, as the accompanying text says 'Grab your rooks and head to the park' - which implies take your own sets.
I am not on Facebook and had no idea that the Bedford cafe was advertising chess so explicitly. I am glad it doesn't say 'Grab your castles...'