Chessgames Site

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
NickFaulks

Re: Chessgames Site

Post by NickFaulks » Sat Mar 04, 2023 12:04 pm

I have finally found time to look into this ( and have in the interim concluded that Yahoo is a horrid search engine! ). For those who have been helpful ( thanks ) or are just interested, here is an update.

I certainly have a hijack problem, but annoyingly every antivirus application I have tried, including my regular choice Avast, declares my machine entirely clean.

The good news is that one browser, Avast Secure, appears to be immune, so I am using that. I hope that in due course updates will sort things out.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Paolo Casaschi

Post by Paolo Casaschi » Sat Mar 04, 2023 1:59 pm

NickFaulks wrote:
Sat Mar 04, 2023 12:04 pm
have in the interim concluded that Yahoo is a horrid search engine!

I certainly have a hijack problem
My two cents about this:
- Yahoo does not have their own search engine anymore; currently it’s just a branded front-end to the bing search engine from Microsoft; you should get from Yahoo similar search result as from Microsoft bing
- not sure what happened, but I find it unlikely that a malicious spyware would change your default search engine; spyware should look for something more lucrative and invisible to the end user; on the other hand there’s a number of software that upon installation offer to change some of the default user settings, such as the default search engine or the default browser; all offered in the open, maybe with a sneaky suggestion with their preferred options pre-selected that a distracted user might forget to decline

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Sat Mar 04, 2023 3:52 pm

I looked up search engine hijack, apparently it is a big thing, though not devastatingly serious. On most browsers, it sits for a second on my default search engine and then flashes straight over to Yahoo.

https://www.howtogeek.com/806217/search ... hat-to-do/

Thanks for the info re Bing - I know I don't like that, which would explain my feelings about Yahoo!
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.