Question about grading submissions

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Wadih Khoury

Question about grading submissions

Post by Wadih Khoury » Mon Mar 06, 2023 8:31 pm

How do you enter in the ECF grading file byes and defaults? Until now it really didn't matter as it does not impact rating, however places are important for the British Grand Prix. Given that the ECF likely self serves the rankings from the rating database, I want to make sure my players get the proper credit.

I (or rather my software) used the d1 or 1d in the result field of the text file. It loads well but does not seem to show the points correctly.

Any thoughts?

Ian Thompson

Re: Question about grading submissions

Post by Ian Thompson » Mon Mar 06, 2023 9:53 pm

The help says:

PIN
1 to 10 characters. The Personal Identification Number for the player throughout a results file. ... The value "0" reserved for use for defaults and is forbidden in the player list.

SCORE
A two digit alphanumeric field with only certain values allowed: ‘10’ represents a win for PIN1, ‘01’ a win for PIN2, and ‘55’ a drawn game. Byes and defaults are given as follows: ’1d’ represents a win by default for PIN1 (if PIN2 is given) or a full-point bye (if PIN2 is 0), ‘d1’ is a win by default for PIN2; ‘5d’ is a half-point bye for PIN1 and ‘dd’ is a double default.

I've just tried this with a test file and it seems to work for recording results. Results are shown as +--, --+, =--, --= and --- in the results list.

Looking at an actual results submission already on the grading website it appears that players getting byes and walkovers aren't credited with the point they got in the tournament. That'll be a problem with the ECF grading website, not the submission.

Wadih Khoury

Post by Wadih Khoury » Mon Mar 06, 2023 10:00 pm

Ian Thompson wrote:
Mon Mar 06, 2023 9:53 pm

I've just tried this with a test file and it seems to work. Results are shown as +--, --+, =--, --= and ---.
Yes the validation showed it correctly, but when I go to the event page it does not account for the points.

See here:
https://www.ecfrating.org.uk/v2/new/lis ... ction_no=1

Cave should have a point, and Murawsky a point for the default of Lalic (it shows them paired.but no points given). Others are missing their 0.5 points.

Ian Thompson

Post by Ian Thompson » Mon Mar 06, 2023 10:05 pm

Wadih Khoury wrote:
Mon Mar 06, 2023 10:00 pm
Yes the validation showed it correctly, but when I go to the event page it does not account for the points.
I'd already updated my post to say that a minute or two before you posted.

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Mon Mar 06, 2023 10:16 pm

Does not Vega Results create an ECF rating submission file for you?

I have used UTU Swiss and Swiss Manager and both have this facility.
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Tue Mar 07, 2023 11:46 am

John Upham wrote:
Mon Mar 06, 2023 10:16 pm
Does not Vega Results create an ECF rating submission file for you?
The ECF rating system has the capability, I believe, to accept data in the format of the FIDE submission. There's a but however, as the FIDE system doesn't report on byes and defaults.

If Vega only handles the FIDE format, the data submitted will presumably miss out on these,

By way of example, check the handling of the data for the recent 4NCL Congress in Scarborough, particularly players like Mike Surtees who took a half point bye in round one.

Wadih Khoury

Post by Wadih Khoury » Tue Mar 07, 2023 1:43 pm

Vega does submit in the ECF format. No issues there, it does use the 1d or d1 notation.
As per what Ian said, it seems that the ECF website is not adding up the bye and default points. He did a test (see at end of his first reply) and somehow it is not working. Or there is a trick to do in the file that we are not aware of.

Mike Gunn

Post by Mike Gunn » Tue Mar 07, 2023 2:34 pm

I don't think the ECF does do rating of byes or defaults due to non appearance, so they won't appear on the site?

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Tue Mar 07, 2023 2:40 pm

Mike Gunn wrote:
Tue Mar 07, 2023 2:34 pm
I don't think the ECF does do rating of byes or defaults due to non appearance, so they won't appear on the site?

I don't know how they get there, but the rating site shows 5 rounds for all participants, whether they played or not.
http://www.ecfrating.org.uk/v2/new/list ... ction_no=1
and it shows whether the missing game was a half point bye.
http://www.ecfrating.org.uk/v2/new/list ... &year=2023

What it doesn't do is show the number of points for the tournament correctly, which is perhaps where we came in. The finishing order shown at the rating site will not be the same as at chess-results.