Organising OTB for chess.com?

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
David York

Organising OTB for chess.com?

Post by David York » Tue Mar 28, 2023 11:51 am

As a member of Meetup I received this email today :
Chess is having a major moment. With more than 75 million new members joining Chess.com, more than 1 billion games happening on the site each month, and thousands of chess Meetup communities forming around the world, now is the perfect time to break out a board and make your move. Join Chess.com’s Global Community on Meetup to find a chess group near you.

Meet people in your city who share your passion for chess and build community over the board. By joining a Chess.com Meetup group, you’ll earn a free 1-month Diamond Chess.com membership.

Find chess groups [link provided]

If you don’t see an event or a group in your city, Chess.com may need a volunteer ambassador to lead the group by hosting monthly events. Are you interested? Apply to become a Chess.com Community Organizer, start hosting, and receive exclusive perks and merch from Chess.com.

Apply today [link provided]

Now as I am trying to promote social chess in Colchester this looked worth investigating BUT when you look at a map you get:
and if you click on a dot you find a 'group' with a chess.com organiser and an apparently random set of members presumably lured in by earlier advertising. No events - even in London.

The apply today button promises free stuff in return for what I am already doing in Colchester
Thank you for your interest in leading a local Chess.com's Global Chess Community group on Meetup!

As an organizer you will receive free subscriptions to the following sites, as long as you are actively organizing a minimum of one event every two months:
Chessable
Chess.com
Local leaders are expected to run regular events with their members.

Once you've completed your application, we'll get back to you within 5 business days with more information and next steps.

Cheers!
Chess.com's Global Chess Community Team

So I am not impressed - two reasons - (1) I am not using meetup because while it may be effective, it costs over £100 pa to set up a regular meetup and I want what I am doing to be replicable at minimum cost in places other than Colchester (2) Chess.com is doing a top-down lazy approach just throwing money (or at least foregone revenue) at it. Now I like Chess.com, but I also like Lichess and other online communities; I like otb even more and I can see enthusiasts who might set up meetups getting seduced by this initiative rather than doing their own thing. Perhaps that doesn't matter if more social chess is organised, but the evidence so far is that there is nothing to show for this in the UK?

Comments please? (especially good experiences to counter my negativity!)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Joey Stewart

Re: Organising OTB for chess.com?

Post by Joey Stewart » Tue Mar 28, 2023 12:02 pm

I don't think I'd want to pay my own money for it just to get a free membership when the organisation costs are more then twice the value of the membership itself.
Lose one queen and it is a disaster, Lose 1000 queens and it is just a statistic.