Swiss Manager: Configuring and Entering Teams

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
John Upham

Swiss Manager: Configuring and Entering Teams

Post by John Upham » Tue Mar 28, 2023 2:24 pm

I'm using Swiss Manager (Version 14.0.0.39) to set-up a team event for sixteen teams of three players with seven rounds of play.

I've not previously used SM for a team event.

When inputting teams what is the purpose of the following fields and do they need to be populated?

code
resignation
rankcorr
gr
info
PtsAdd
TableNo

I can speculate what these are for but there must be SM (not S&M) experts out there who know.

You might retort "RTFM" but the translation from German to English is dreadful.
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

Tim Harding

Re: Swiss Manager: Configuring and Entering Teams

Post by Tim Harding » Wed Mar 29, 2023 6:47 pm

I wouldn't mind knowing the answer to this too, but I don't find any explanation of those fields in either the official manual or in IA Tania Karali's Swiss Manager user guide at
https://spp.fide.com/2020/06/22/swiss-m ... ers-guide/
I think that if you enter a Team Name and Team Captain name you will be able to go ahead and enter the player names, and continue for the other teams without anything disastrous occurring. Maybe the meaning will become clear during the event. Perhaps some of the fields will become populated.

The last field (table number) probably enables you to set a fixed table number for one team if (for example) Norwegian TV always wants Magnus to be in the same place, or alternatively if a team has a visually impaired player who needs to have the same table for each round.

In general, in the manual player entry dialogue for any event there are always lots of optional fields that do not require anything to be entered.
Tim Harding
Historian and FIDE Arbiter

Author of 'Steinitz in London,' British Chess Literature to 1914', 'Joseph Henry Blackburne: A Chess Biography', and 'Eminent Victorian Chess Players'
http://www.chessmail.com

Paul McKeown

Re: Swiss Manager: Configuring and Entering Teams

Post by Paul McKeown » Thu Mar 30, 2023 9:56 pm

I think you will find that the important fields to enter are the number of Teams, players per Team, Minimum players per Team, pairings according to Game Points or Match Points, Match Points for Bye Team, the Tiebreaks, Sortings teams in start rank list. Also the Team names are needed, the Team short forms useful and the names of the Team captains, then enter the Players. The rest of the stuff can probably be ignored. If you ever find out what it is useful for, do tell us. The Table No is useful if you have a blind team or the like. Assign them a special fixed place to play.
FIDE Arbiter, FIDE Instructor
Richmond Junior Chess Club
Fulham Junior Chess Club
ECF Games Played Abroad Administrator