Electronic Chess Set

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Stephen Westmoreland

Electronic Chess Set

Post by Stephen Westmoreland » Thu Jun 22, 2023 8:07 am

I am thinking of getting an electronic chess set and came across the Chessnut air and square off pro. Does anyone have any recommendations, understand the pit falls or know a good set please? Something decent size, links to online platforms and a good system to also play against.
HDCA President

Joey Stewart

Re: Electronic Chess Set

Post by Joey Stewart » Thu Jun 22, 2023 12:39 pm

I used to have one of these electric sets but it has long since been binned so if I were to go down the same route again I might take the following steps for a home electronic chess game.

1. Buy a nice quality wooden set and pieces (eBay, charity shops or antique markets are a good place - never buy anything new, they'll shaft you every time)

2. Download stockfish onto your phone for free and copy the moves it plays onto the board.

3. Lose as many games as it takes to give up on playing engines (they are literally unbeatable and have been for a long time, so offer zero entertainment or competition )

4. Ditch the chess programme but remain in possession of a fine chess set which remains useable forever.
Lose one queen and it is a disaster, Lose 1000 queens and it is just a statistic.