Club chess.....the new season....publicity...membership..

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
David Pardoe

Club chess.....the new season....publicity...membership..

Post by David Pardoe » Wed Aug 29, 2007 11:48 am

Its nearing the start of another new season...at least for club chess. Our league programmes in the north west generally start in late September.
Some clubs have no summer break, and are just finishing the summer fixtures. With the weather in this country, its becoming harder to tell summer from winter.....

Anyway...to the main point....
At this time of year, its not a bad plan to do something about publicity...to try to attract new members. Notices/letters, sent to your local Press (sports editor), requesting (free of charge...) a note in the local weekly paper, welcoming players of all ages and standards...beginner to expert, to come along to your chess club, and enjoy some over-the-board friendly challenges, lighthearted/social or `serious`, make new friends (or enemies....) and join in the league and various club events, can often pay dividends, and attract some (much needed) new faces.
Not forgetting those notices in Libraries, Newsagents..etc...
It would be good also, if our local press were a little more obliging, and published more such notices. (Our minority sports and cultural activities greatly need this support). In addition, some updates during the season, with league tables, contact details, etc..plus game scores and other news perhaps, would help to remind `joe public` that chess is alive and kicking in his/her area...so they don`t need to confine themselves to `internet chess`.....the real deal is out there, and keen for them to join in.
Much is said about chess `decline`....but we must be pro-active in `selling` our product....which is most attractively priced, and offers many happy hours of entertainment and interest, and challenge. The alternative....sitting in front of the box.....watching some `soap`, :shock: cannot be sensible...surely.
But, the other half of this mission, is retaining our new members....especially those who are at the `novice` stage. They need to be encouraged, made welcome....told about the club, any coaching, etc..
It is good if the club has others similarly going through the learning curve....you`ve got to start somewhere....and more experienced members should always be willing to play friendlies, helping them along.
I reckon it takes a season to get settled in to the chess scene...so its important that new players are not discouraged by losing a few times....and learning from this. Informal `all play all` club competitions, or KO handicap events, can also help.
Regarding juniors...my general view is that youngsters from about age 13 upwards should be encouraged to join `senior` clubs...but I know that some clubs run junior sections, and are very successful at bringing on children of all ages. Integration/contact with local schools can also help, I think. A letter/notice to secondary schools and colleges, from club secretaries, could be useful in promoting awareness, and encouraging our youngsters.
A couple of seasons can turn a beginner into quite a strong player, with the right direction, encouragement, and patience.
BRING BACK THE BCF

Kevin Sawers

Post by Kevin Sawers » Mon Sep 03, 2007 8:29 pm

Yes, I agree, David. I've been a member of the Southampton club for just over a year now and I'm going to see if people are up for the idea of some informal sessions for training and welcoming newcomers. Our AGM is tomorrow evening and I shall raise the idea there.

I've got a few friends who are quite keen on chess but who are reluctant to come along to the club on a regular club night - they don't really fancy playing one game that lasts all evening! However, I suspect that they might come to a more casual game/training session...

Good luck everyone with getting new folk and retaining your existing members!

David Pardoe

Post by David Pardoe » Thu Sep 06, 2007 4:14 pm

Hope your AGM went well Kevin...
I`d just add that `books` can also be very helpful for training...as can a club library...sometimes players have books they have finished with, which they would be willing to give to such a club library. Many interesting hours can be spent in light research...and just playing through games from the Masters....checking out Openings, etc.
I also like to play through some of the games that appear daily in the Telegraph..
Incidently...a game needn`t last a whole evening....freindlies may last only 30 mins, etc (on the lighter side).
When I mentioned `retention` of players, I was really referring to `new` members. These can quite often come for one or two nights and drift off (perhaps discouraged)....these players sometimes just need a little direction/encouragement, etc... to get them started....but yes, retaining existing members is equally important..one thing captains/secretaries must do is to make sure players are not overlooked for matches.
I think clubs could perhaps be more pro-active in entering teams in lower leagues, to give the `learners` somewhere to cut there teeth..incidently, losing can be fun.....and a useful learning experience....so perserverance is needed, as new players develop there skills.....

One further point...... Volunteers.
It is vital at all levels of chess...club, league, county, union...and National...that players come forward and volunteer a little of there time to help run things. Its not `rocket science` (generally speaking), and most times there will be plenty of assistance on hand, should this be needed...just ask. Vacant posts are often advertized on chess websites....or notices from leagues/clubs. So players should find out what is going on...and if they can assist.
Without this vital ingredient, the wheels can easily grind to a stop.....or progress slowed.
BRING BACK THE BCF

Kevin Sawers

Post by Kevin Sawers » Sun Sep 09, 2007 4:54 pm

Thanks David, people at the club seemed fairly positive towards my idea. Our problem is that we only have use of one room on our club nights and it's got to be quiet for games - be they league games or internal club championship games.

We have three rapid-play tournaments per year and I'm going to see if we can do a bit of publicity around these as they are much more sociable and accessible to newcomers, I would have thought.

We have indeed had a few people come along a couple of times and then drift away. I wonder what would have got them to come back... My plan is that informal training sessions will be a better way for people to make the transition from casual/internet games to more serious competition.

Finally, you're so right about volunteers - for a club to flourish it needs some people who are willing to put in a bit of time and effort!

Charles W. Wood

Re: Club chess.....the new season....publicity...membership..

Post by Charles W. Wood » Wed Feb 20, 2008 6:07 am

Great point David. If you google my name and put chess at the end you can see the responce I get from newspapers. Another thing, most inner city areas have post code based magazines that go to community centres, I found an entire club (with one 6 board team) with one tiny ad on the back page. Good luck all of you. Chris Mattos does a good job of this around Gloucestershire. 8)
Charles W. Wood
Captain of Legion