Annoying time wasting

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
NickFaulks

Re: Annoying time wasting

Post by NickFaulks » Mon Aug 28, 2023 2:04 pm

Ian Rogers wrote:
Mon Aug 28, 2023 12:58 pm
I don't think Nick would really want me to go into detail
On the contrary, Ian, go for it. I don't think you should have started this but now that you have, you can't just leave your comments in the air like a bad smell.

Perhaps the easy way out would be to delete your posts.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Roger Lancaster

Post by Roger Lancaster » Mon Aug 28, 2023 2:21 pm

J T Melsom wrote:
Mon Aug 28, 2023 1:44 pm
I'm interested in knowing about historic figures (chess or otherwise) with an honest account of their achievements and failings. The problem with this thread is that those in the know aren't sharing information, so we have a negative image of Walter Browne being ascribed (and disputed) but an absence of detail. Not sure this is of much interest to general readers as it stands.
Well, yes, facts are always of interest but this forum gets regularly inundated with rumours. (No criticism of any particular forumite intended).

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Mon Aug 28, 2023 4:07 pm

As someone said recently, "Recollections may vary". I've met Walter Browne, Alejandro Ramirez, Korchnoi, Spassky, Nakamura, Smyslov, Eley, Buster Edwards(!), etc, and all were perfectly pleasant, but other people tell a different story. I read glowing tributes to an individual on this forum, and everyone said how wonderful he was, but I know he was a serial liar and cheat. So, who knows?

Tim Spanton

Post by Tim Spanton » Mon Aug 28, 2023 4:37 pm

Kevin Thurlow wrote:
Mon Aug 28, 2023 4:07 pm
As someone said recently, "Recollections may vary". I've met Walter Browne, Alejandro Ramirez, Korchnoi, Spassky, Nakamura, Smyslov, Eley, Buster Edwards(!), etc, and all were perfectly pleasant, but other people tell a different story. I read glowing tributes to an individual on this forum, and everyone said how wonderful he was, but I know he was a serial liar and cheat. So, who knows?
When one reads on here what is written about the dead, it makes one want to live forever

MJMcCready

Post by MJMcCready » Mon Aug 28, 2023 4:44 pm

Matt Mackenzie wrote:
Sun Aug 27, 2023 12:19 am
I think it is generally accepted that Browne could be "excitable" at times, indeed he would very likely not have denied this himself.
He could be quite horrible at times. I've seen him slam the clock and then stare his opponent down for long periods, trying to intimidate him. It was done in a rather nasty way also.

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Mon Aug 28, 2023 5:07 pm

Kevin Thurlow wrote:
Well that's a rather hetorodox bunch isn't it.

Smyslov and Spassky may indeed have their detractors, but seem to be genuinely admired and respected by most who knew them well. Whereas a few of those we *know* beyond reasonable doubt to be totally bad people, whilst others (including Browne) are in between.
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Mon Aug 28, 2023 5:38 pm

MJMcCready wrote:
Mon Aug 28, 2023 4:44 pm
I've seen him slam the clock and then stare his opponent down for long periods
Oh dear, you make him sound as bad as Garry Kasparov.

In any case, your comment
MJMcCready wrote:
Fri Aug 25, 2023 11:11 pm
Walter Browne had a very bad reputation in his day.
appeared out of the blue in a thread about time wasting. So it was presumably just something gratuitous that you have always wanted to say.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

MJMcCready

Post by MJMcCready » Mon Aug 28, 2023 5:47 pm

Nope because he stared down his opponent when it was his turn to move also. Can't remember exactly who he was playing, some eastern European guy with a rather tricky name.

Ian Thompson

Post by Ian Thompson » Mon Aug 28, 2023 6:33 pm

Kevin Thurlow wrote:
As someone said recently, "Recollections may vary". I've met Walter Browne, Alejandro Ramirez, Korchnoi, Spassky, Nakamura, Smyslov, Eley, Buster Edwards(!), etc, and all were perfectly pleasant, but other people tell a different story.
There might be a difference between meeting someone and playing someone. There also might be a difference depending on how old they were when they were met or played.

I've played one of the people on your list and he has the dubious distinction of being the only person I've ever played where the arbiter aplogised for his behaviour after the game and commented that "he has an attitude".

MJMcCready

Post by MJMcCready » Mon Aug 28, 2023 6:36 pm

Most likely Korchnoi I would say. Last time I saw him at the London Chess Classic he kept making people open the door for him.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Mon Aug 28, 2023 6:46 pm

MJMcCready wrote:
Mon Aug 28, 2023 5:47 pm
Nope because he stared down his opponent when it was his turn to move also. Can't remember exactly who he was playing, some eastern European guy with a rather tricky name.
Whose turn, if it matters? Browne's or the guy whose name you can't remember?

I simply don't understand this "staring down". When I played Walter he certainly banged the clock - in fact, so hard that the rocker bounced back up again, which was his undoing. Did he stare at me, whether it was his move or mine? I have no idea, because I would have been looking at the board, which is what I believe is recommended.

I have witnessed Kasparov, having called for a clock when finishing off his final amateur opponent in a simul, slamming it repeatedly before fixing a vicious glare on his opponent. I felt this was poor behaviour from someone who had been paid generously for the evening, but nothing anyone who knew him would not expect.

Ian Jamieson

Post by Ian Jamieson » Mon Aug 28, 2023 6:54 pm

MJMcCready wrote:
Mon Aug 28, 2023 6:36 pm
Most likely Korchnoi I would say. Last time I saw him at the London Chess Classic he kept making people open the door for him.
The one time I met him in a hotel lounge waiting for a coach to take players to Malaga after Gibraltar he beckoned me over and was quite happy to give me an autograph even though all I had was a chess postcard of one of his games. At the same Gibraltar Shirov was also quite happy to autograph a copy of his book for my brother.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Mon Aug 28, 2023 7:53 pm

MJMcCready wrote:
Most likely Korchnoi I would say.
Any other great player whose memory you would like to besmirch while you're here?

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Mon Aug 28, 2023 8:11 pm

Ian Jamieson wrote:
Mon Aug 28, 2023 6:54 pm
MJMcCready wrote:
The one time I met him in a hotel lounge waiting for a coach to take players to Malaga after Gibraltar he beckoned me over and was quite happy to give me an autograph even though all I had was a chess postcard of one of his games. At the same Gibraltar Shirov was also quite happy to autograph a copy of his book for my brother.
I'll never forget him approaching me at the 2011 European Team and saying "In case you don't know who I am, my name is Viktor Korchnoi!" It wasn't me he wanted but I was able to help him.

Chris Goodall

Post by Chris Goodall » Mon Aug 28, 2023 10:07 pm

Ooh, are we besmirching the memory of great players? I heard Bobby Fischer was a touch unfiltered on occasions.
Donate to Sabrina's fundraiser at https://gofund.me/aeae42c7 to support victims of sexual abuse in the chess world.

Northumberland webmaster, Jesmond CC something-or-other. Views mine. Definitely below the Goodall Line.