Does Ding Need to Pull his Finger Out?

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Joey Stewart

Does Ding Need to Pull his Finger Out?

Post by Joey Stewart » Sun Nov 05, 2023 2:21 am

I was browsing chessbase earlier and came across this article.

https://en.chessbase.com/post/where-is-ding-liren

You would think he would want to build a somewhat better legacy then this - what with Magnus quitting for no good reason and now Ding nowhere to be seen it is making the title of world champion something of a farce.
Lose one queen and it is a disaster, Lose 1000 queens and it is just a statistic.

LawrenceCooper

Re: Does Ding Need to Pull his Finger Out?

Post by LawrenceCooper » Sun Nov 05, 2023 12:37 pm

Joey Stewart wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2023 2:21 am
I was browsing chessbase earlier and came across this article.

https://en.chessbase.com/post/where-is-ding-liren

You would think he would want to build a somewhat better legacy then this - what with Magnus quitting for no good reason and now Ding nowhere to be seen it is making the title of world champion something of a farce.
That may be so but I would place mental well being and health above keeping armchair online fans happy which is probably an impossible task anyway.

Joey Stewart

Post by Joey Stewart » Sun Nov 05, 2023 1:10 pm

I don't know... I hear a lot these days about prioritising 'mental health' but to be the best of the best you really need a mind purged of all emotional weakness and never give in to it or even accept it exists - I've never been a world champion at anything but the general trend I've seen among champions in various disciplines is that they are very driven to constantly prove themselves better then their peers, to dominate not just the competition in their sport but all other forms of life on this planet.
Lose one queen and it is a disaster, Lose 1000 queens and it is just a statistic.

Jonathan Rogers

Post by Jonathan Rogers » Sun Nov 05, 2023 3:51 pm

Joey Stewart wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2023 1:10 pm
I don't know... I hear a lot these days about prioritising 'mental health' but to be the best of the best you really need a mind purged of all emotional weakness and never give in to it or even accept it exists -...
It seems to me that Ding's success disproves that, at least as a universal rule, and that his obvious struggles at the start of the match (and likely at other times in recent years) makes his triumph all the more remarkable - and for some, inspiring.

As to not accepting that mental health troubles even exist - yeah, that worked out very well for one Robert J Fischer ...

Like Loz, I just wish him well. Thankfully Ding is not Fischer, and can probably put his mind to other things if playing chess in public is not right for him now.

MJMcCready

Post by MJMcCready » Mon Nov 06, 2023 1:52 am

You are not taking into account the Chinese have a different agenda and don't usually prioritize international events over national ones. They prefer to keep to themselves over there, given the size, strength and stature of their league now, they don't need to play outside of it.

Paul Heaton

Post by Paul Heaton » Mon Nov 06, 2023 10:00 am

He’s supposedly playing in Wijk ann Zee/Tata Steel in Jan

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Mon Nov 06, 2023 10:12 am

Paul Heaton wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2023 10:00 am
He’s supposedly playing in Wijk ann Zee/Tata Steel in Jan
Giri is the only confirmed player, they will announce the rest this month, they were looking for the final 2 or 3 in the IoM during the Grand Swiss (would be good if they got Vidit to play)

I find the title of this thread objectionable, although I appreciate it is very much in Joey's style; we could probably do with less chess from people who don't want to play, not more
Any postings on here represent my personal views

Paul Heaton

Post by Paul Heaton » Mon Nov 06, 2023 11:12 am

Mick Norris wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2023 10:12 am

Giri is the only confirmed player, they will announce the rest this month, they were looking for the final 2 or 3 in the IoM during the Grand Swiss (would be good if they got Vidit to play)
I think most of the field will be in place, as you state, just still to be announced by the organisers. There’s a whole article here on Ding’s absence, and his intention to play at Wijk.

https://www.chess.com/news/view/ding-re ... 4-comeback

IM Jack Rudd

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Mon Nov 06, 2023 11:25 am

There are plenty of top-class sportsmen who have had struggles with their mental health over the years; Ronnie O'Sullivan is a well-known example.

Daniel Gormally

Post by Daniel Gormally » Tue Nov 07, 2023 9:20 am

My guess is he's under instructions not to play until the next world championship match. probably not in his power.

if he plays and loses in the Chinese authorities eyes that will devalue his world title. especially if he loses out to magnus in a few tournaments. that's the nightmare scenario for them.

on the plus side for Ding, by not playing he cultivates this "mystique" which is a forgotten art in today's overexposed chess players. It certainly didn't do Bobby Fischers reputation any harm, by not playing for twenty years he became an almost mythical, god-like figure in the eyes of the chess world, whereas if he had played and lost occasionally (like any normal player) he would have seemed much more normal.

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Tue Nov 07, 2023 3:28 pm

Ding has now said his recent absence is down to (unspecified) "illness", but that he will be back for Tata Steel next January if not earlier.

As well as Fischer, there is the now mostly forgotten precedent of Botvinnik - who barely played at all between winning the title in 1948 and his defence against Bronstein three years later.

It is widely thought - though never totally confirmed - that he had some sort of mental health crisis during this period.
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)