Is Chess shortening your life?

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Roland Kensdale

Is Chess shortening your life?

Post by Roland Kensdale » Sat Dec 16, 2023 6:09 pm

There have been many warnings that sitting especially, and lack of exercise are bad for us. Studying and playing Chess are almost invariably sedentary activities.

Modern professional players usually appreciate that they need to maintain their fitness to perform adequately. For the rest of us with work and other responsibilities, time and energy spent on Chess probably means less of both available for physical activity.

There was some study in the past which I think suggested a higher rate of heart disease among Chess grandmasters than the general population (may not apply to modern players). Aside from the sitting, perhaps the fight/flight response combined with limited physical movement could be responsible (if the study was accurate). Botvinnik claimed each World Championship match took years off his life.

Simultaneous displays might be an almost unique exception. Timur Gareyev rode a stationary cycle during his blindfold displays. (However I suspect we may be hearing less about him in future).

There is Chess-boxing, not appealing to most. Blows to the head may reduce the benefits of the exercise.

There are plenty of other activities which usually involve a lot of sitting, which are (forumites would agree) less rewarding.

Of course a life with less Chess may not be longer, it may just seem so.

MJMcCready

Re: Is Chess shortening your life?

Post by MJMcCready » Sat Dec 16, 2023 7:17 pm

I thought chess was more commonly associated with madness than shortened life-expectancy. Is this a new twist?

Joey Stewart

Post by Joey Stewart » Sat Dec 16, 2023 7:21 pm

A glance in the obituaries section of the forum would suggest that chess players are actually quite long lived on average - I don't have the link to hand but I'm pretty sure there been some kind of study done somewhere that has scientifically proven that the brain activity used in a long session of chess burns as many calories as an hour in the gym.
Lose one queen and it is a disaster, Lose 1000 queens and it is just a statistic.

MJMcCready

Post by MJMcCready » Sat Dec 16, 2023 7:34 pm

I've heard that said many, many times.

IM Jack Rudd

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Sat Dec 16, 2023 7:54 pm

I probably get up and walk around more during a game of chess than I do in most non-chess situations of similar duration.

John Clarke

Post by John Clarke » Sat Dec 16, 2023 9:46 pm

I can't remember where now, but did once read something to the effect that IMs and GMs tended to die at younger ages on average ("in their forties and fifties") than the general population. It wasn't based on any kind of scientific study, though, and attributed the depressing statistic to mental health issues as much as physical ones.
"The chess-board is the world ..... the player on the other side is hidden from us ..... he never overlooks a mistake, or makes the smallest allowance for ignorance."
(He doesn't let you resign and start again, either.)

Neil Graham

Post by Neil Graham » Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:01 pm

I will ask my club mate and friend who is 92 and is playing at Harrogate in the New Year.

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:09 pm

IM Jack Rudd wrote:
Sat Dec 16, 2023 7:54 pm
I probably get up and walk around more during a game of chess than I do in most non-chess situations of similar duration.
Is that the reason you use so much time during games?!

Ronnie Burton

Post by Ronnie Burton » Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:19 pm

Chess very good for your health. I can remember Jack dancing around the room and still beating me at Western Super Mare in the 1990's

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:26 pm

I'm someone who walks about quite a bit during games, indeed i have never understood those who remain in their seat for maybe a few hours.
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

Richard Thursby

Post by Richard Thursby » Sun Dec 17, 2023 11:18 pm

Not quite the same, but the stress of chess administration possibly contributed to me being physically sick on one occasion.

John Clarke

Post by John Clarke » Mon Dec 18, 2023 5:26 am

Ronnie Burton wrote:
Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:19 pm
Chess very good for your health. I can remember Jack dancing around the room and still beating me at Western Super Mare in the 1990's
I certainly found it beneficial in one respect - always said a good stiff chess tournament was the best laxative!! :D
"The chess-board is the world ..... the player on the other side is hidden from us ..... he never overlooks a mistake, or makes the smallest allowance for ignorance."
(He doesn't let you resign and start again, either.)

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Mon Dec 18, 2023 7:52 am

John Clarke wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2023 5:26 am
Ronnie Burton wrote:
Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:19 pm
I certainly found it beneficial in one respect - always said a good stiff chess tournament was the best laxative!! :D
A high risk strategy in OTB events though!

Geoff Chandler

Post by Geoff Chandler » Mon Dec 18, 2023 9:39 am

I read somewhere that at one time the average GM's life was shorter than other professions and this was due to the life style, smoking, drinking, no exercise etc... These days players take more care of themselves (healthy body, healthy mind) and I'd not be surprised to learn the average GM lives just as long as anyone else.

I wonder how many of the top 100 players smoke. I'd guess very few. 5-10 at the very most. Fewer? (some of the top 100 are too young to legally buy cigarettes!)

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Mon Dec 18, 2023 2:36 pm

"Not quite the same, but the stress of chess administration possibly contributed to me being physically sick on one occasion."

I sympathise with that - it's best to get out if that's the case. Oddly, Surrey chess never had that particular effect on me.