Disagreeing with your chess computer

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Derek Sinclair

Disagreeing with your chess computer

Post by Derek Sinclair » Wed Jan 24, 2024 11:10 am

I'm playing the Grob as white this year as just having fun.

My chess computer is obviously better than me but I have 2 questions.

Move 10. Why is Nxd5 so bad? Computer thinks that 10...Nxd5, 11.Qxd5 Bb4+ 12.Kf1 Qa6+ 13.Ne2 Bf5 is good for black.

move 24. Why does the computer think I should recapture with the bishop and not the pawn? Pawn gives me 2 connected passed pawns that turned out be monsters and win the game.

Thank you
D

Roger de Coverly

Re: Disagreeing with your chess computer

Post by Roger de Coverly » Wed Jan 24, 2024 12:13 pm

Move 10. Why is Nxd5 so bad? Computer thinks that 10...Nxd5, 11.Qxd5 Bb4+ 12.Kf1 Qa6+ 13.Ne2 Bf5 is good for black.
It likes the resulting position for Black at move 14 where the White KIng is unsafe and White will struggle to complete development.

move 24. Why does the computer think I should recapture with the bishop and not the pawn? Pawn gives me 2 connected passed pawns that turned out be monsters and win the game.
It would like to hold the d5 square, stopping the advance of the pawn and shutting in the dark square bishop. Thus Black's next move would be .. Kc6 or perhaps .. Rd8.

Derek Sinclair

Post by Derek Sinclair » Wed Jan 24, 2024 2:58 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2024 12:13 pm
It likes the resulting position for Black at move 14 where the White KIng is unsafe and White will struggle to complete development.

It would like to hold the d5 square, stopping the advance of the pawn and shutting in the dark square bishop. Thus Black's next move would be .. Kc6 or perhaps .. Rd8.

Thank you

Regarding point 2,Do you think most human minds would see it the computer's way? Getting 2 connected past pawns looks like a non brainer when there are no tactics in the air.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Wed Jan 24, 2024 3:04 pm

Derek Sinclair wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2024 2:58 pm
Regarding point 2,Do you think most human minds would see it the computer's way? Getting 2 connected past pawns looks like a non brainer when there are no tactics in the air.
I think it depends how much you use the concept of the "bad bishop" where the bishop is blocked in by pawns of its own colour. So instantly I spotted the d5 square and noticed that the Black King could occupy it. That said, hitting the Bishop first with .. Rb3 may be a better move order, so the a8 Roook can come to d8. However the Rook may want to stay on a8 to support the plan of a5,a4,a3,a2,a1=Q. Playing the King to d5 also anchors the Knight on c4.

Derek Sinclair

Post by Derek Sinclair » Wed Jan 24, 2024 3:31 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2024 3:04 pm
Derek Sinclair wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2024 2:58 pm
I think it depends how much you use the concept of the "bad bishop" where the bishop is blocked in by pawns of its own colour. So instantly I spotted the d5 square and noticed that the Black King could occupy it. That said, hitting the Bishop first with .. Rb3 may be a better move order, so the a8 Roook can come to d8. However the Rook may want to stay on a8 to support the plan of a5,a4,a3,a2,a1=Q. Playing the King to d5 also anchors the Knight on c4.
all very sensible and yes I can see the bad bishop clear as day now.